Pyrotech cylinders and rotation

mbarone

What cylinder are you guys using? I know that combustible gas cylinder is the obvious choice due to sweltering heat, superheated rail, and firebug but honestly I feel like i do less damage with it up. I can use it to slow the target down and "try" to kite them but often the target will leap to me. Looking at the dmg that CGC can put out isn't impressive, 1122 over 6 seconds, which with superheated gas is increased by 30% and instead of 10% chance of hitting its 16%, which isn't a lot.

I tried out high velocity gas cylinder, 35% increased armor pen. I do a lot more damage then I did using CGC. I am a 50 battlemaster with mostly BM gear. I top the charts in most WZ between 250K-400k. So is anyone else using the armor pen cylinder? I am going to run some tests for a bit using each. I feel like the armor pen is great for going again the marauders and jugs...which make up a lot of the population in our WZ. I am still torn though on which to use.

The build I use is 3/7/31 I chose this build because I can use it in both pvp and pve. I get the best of what I need and I do not to respec all the time when switching from pvp to go do an ops. (Ill post the build when torhead decides to work)

In pvp, the rotation I use to open up on a given target is:

Incendiary Missile>Thermal detonator>Power Shot>Rail shot>Unload>(rail shot if it popped)>Rapid shot>If target is below 40% use a fusion missile and make sure IM is still up to make use of Burnout. Granted each encounter is unique and you need to apply what is up and how much heat you have to that encounter.

I use that setup because as TD is counting down I am casting PS, which lines up TD, PS and RS to all go off about .5 seconds of each other. I can knock down between 30-65% of a players health.

Also, Utilizing your TSO, power surge, and relics is important. I use PS then rapid scan along with kolto overload when I get low. If you need to CC someone quick, use PS>concussion missile.

Would like to hear some of your feedback on my play style. I like playing as a pyrotech a lot more then ars because I like the mobility more then being a turret.

Edited by mbarone

i messed around with HVC and pyro and overall i do what feels like more damage with CGC. i'll, of course, see higher crits with HVC but the CGC dot is pretty powerful and get refreshed with rail.

nowadays, i'll use HVC if i'm going against a team with ops or merc healers that dispell a lot.

as far as rotation goes, i used to use power shot a lot more than i do now and since i stopped using it except as a filler my damage has gone up.

my rotation is basically incendiary -> thermal -> rail -> unload -> rail ... and after that i'll either rapid shots or power shots depending on heat until unload, rail or thermal is back up. getting rail reset procs is the best part of the spec imo.

fusion missile is also in there if i have the heat or if there's a group clumped up. it's a pretty high dps ability (and it's elemental). usually though i'll wait for thermal override to use it.

Yeah, i do switch between the two. The armor pen helps out against tank classes which I go against a lot.

I use that rotation after I do my rotation I listed above. Using fusion missile and DFA in a group of people is great too!

ya, right. if 50% of the tree is feeding off of CGC, why am i doing similar damage with high velocity? I want input not a douche bag response.

I posted a thread about this a while back and got the same responses, lol.

Here ya go.

IMO Pyro + High velocity gaz cylinder is viable if you go at least up to Terminal Velocity talent in arsenal tree. Then you can still go pyro, and use the fact that Incendiary missle can proc Terminal Velocity (don't need to use Tracer missile for that), and use powershot/unload to proc Prototype particle. This hybrid spec uses both management mechnism of both tree, and this makes it very competitive for DPS.

Going full pyro and use velocity gaz cyclonder seems a dps trop to me (and no snare), but difficult to tell without parser.

-_- does everyone ignore the fact that elemental damage by passes armor? thus making armor pen a stupid argument against tanks?

your dots are gonna burn that tank just as fast as your normal attacks with HVC

plus your tree improves elemental damage and CGC making it more worth using

and HVC does not do more damage, CGC when talented does more over time. theres just no reason at all using HVC as a pyrospec

• 11 months later...

Why bump this old and terrible thread?

For the record, Prototype Particle Accelerator only procs railshot when you have combustible active. If you are playing Pyro without CGC then that is a massive fail. Not even a debate.

Edited by Sinsavz