It's time to end the grass/snow days...

pmurie

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you noob aZShiftyZa... it's like saying go right and u have to go left when u switch from imps to republic! next u want to jump over to imps again, than left means right... have u heard of muscle memory????

lift your right hand.... i bet u left your right hand straight away... now for the next day, every couple hours tell yourself to lift your right hand but lift your left instead.... how long did it take u to lift your left instead of right, was it more than a split second which is what u need in pvp?!?!?

Left is left for the imps. Left is left for the reps. Yes, it would be different sides, but left is always left, right is always right. When you land left is always on your left.

If it is taking you 5 seconds to figure out which side is snowy and which is grassy, you have much bigger problems in life. :p I mean, I can picture them in my head right now, and I'm not even in the game.

East/West on the minimap differs from east/west on the main map for Imperials. Grass side is always grassy, snow side is always snowy.

Imperial: Snow is Left, Grass is Right

Republic: Snow is Right, Grass is Left

/thread

And let some how you can't just call out "Left/Rigth" or "East/West"? I mean I have to know which side is left or right to establish which is grass or snow...

The standard orientation of a map is with north to the top. Theirfor east and west stay the same.

This assumption is what leads to the confusion.

Because the "standard map orientation" implies to SOME players that forward is north. Well, it's not. It's only north according to Rep side. Imperials start off facing "south" according to your standard. That's not an intuitive thing for a lot of people, and frankly most people aren't watching their map as much as they are the field of play.

I think naming the locations would be the real fix.

Difference between minimap and standard map makes for much confusion when multiple people with different pov's are calling out directions. Snow/Grass are by far the best option for calling out nodes as they are always constant. Quit being terribles. YOU should know at all times whether grass or snow is left or right of you so this it takes 5 seconds to process is nonsense. If someone can't comprehend that then they shouldn't be pvping in the first place.

I'm sorry, but unless you have only played <5 matches or have no memory capacity at all, remembering which is snow and which is grass should be instinctive.

It's bad enough to argue over east/west v left/right, but the OP is terrible and its a joke this thread has do many posts.

Snow/mid/grass... Simple and easy, if it doesn't work for you then you likely need the map to find mid too.

Edit: and for the record... Left/right based off the spawn is most intuitive for maps without landmarks like alderaan.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

We don't use west and east because its subjective to where you are on the map.

This is why it's a problem.....People are stupid. North, South, East and West don't change EVER....doesn't matter where you are on the map.

The top of a map is North....I learned this in the 3rd grade.

Edited by mSum

So... You really just said that East and West rotate depending on your position?

It is subjective but this is because most people intuitively feel that when they're facing forward on the ship they're facing north. From the Imperial side, east is right and west is left, which is counter intuitive. This problem would be reduced by putting NSEW icons on the mini-map.

Either way, grass/snow is pretty gd easy. If someone says grass and you are standing in snow well...

Void star drives me bonkers.

People will out left or right for help but sometimes it's Vica versa

Defenders call left for east, and right for west; yet on offense it's reversed. That what will get me confused when in the middle wether it be killing a healer or in the dead box waiting to be released.

i just say east/west

I figure if people are too stupid to know orientation then they're not going to be of any help in pvp anyway.

i said that in /ops chat once after some kid was raging about calling it snow/grass, and the other 6 people in the team must have agreed with me because i got 6 mvp votes lol

Edited by Evuke

Void star drives me bonkers.

People will out left or right for help but sometimes it's Vica versa

Defenders call left for east, and right for west; yet on offense it's reversed. That what will get me confused when in the middle wether it be killing a healer or in the dead box waiting to be released.

Based on spawn point. So when you are standing at spawn left is left.

Always play it that way, if someone ever claims the reference point is anything else they are wrong.

That's what makes it so easy, its completely intuitive and they never get reversed because left is left,... Non of this oh its west since I'm attacking, now its east because I'm defending, simply left.

This assumption is what leads to the confusion.

Because the "standard map orientation" implies to SOME players that forward is north. Well, it's not. It's only north according to Rep side. Imperials start off facing "south" according to your standard. That's not an intuitive thing for a lot of people, and frankly most people aren't watching their map as much as they are the field of play.

I think naming the locations would be the real fix.

How does what way they are facing effect "top of map = north"?

I'm fairly certain that neither the mini-map nor the main map change, therefore east is always to the east and west is always to the left.

However, as you pointed out, the way people are facing *does* change. That's why left / right is so useless.

If you think the map does change then please provide us with a screenie of the pub map and imp map so we can test the theory.

Based on spawn point. So when you are standing at spawn left is left.

Always play it that way, if someone ever claims the reference point is anything else they are wrong.

That's what makes it so easy, its completely intuitive and they never get reversed because left is left,... Non of this oh its west since I'm attacking, now its east because I'm defending, simply left.

So your interpretation is "right" and anyone who disagrees is "wrong".

How did you come to this conclusion?

Edited by Jestunhi

i just say east/west

I figure if people are too stupid to know orientation then they're not going to be of any help in pvp anyway.

i said that in /ops chat once after some kid was raging about calling it snow/grass, and the other 6 people in the team must have agreed with me because i got 6 mvp votes lol

This multiplied by 1 zillion with a heaping topping of downs.

So your interpretation is "right" and anyone who disagrees is "wrong".

How did you come to this conclusion?

I'm saying if you use left/right that is the way. But yes, any other interpretation if for left/right would be flat wrong. Because the only fixed point that is always the same on every map in every game is your spawn point. So if you use left/right with any other point of reference its subject to confusion.

No I'm not saying if you use east/west or landmarks you are wrong. Those work and are effective, however I do believe left/right is the most intuitive. Just have to keep the one reference point in mind, which should be common sense.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

I'm saying if you use left/right that is the way. But yes, any other interpretation if for left/right would be flat wrong. Because the only fixed point that is always the same on every map in every game is tour spawn point. So if you use left/right with any other point of reference its subject to confusion.

No I'm not saying if you use east/west or landmarks you are wrong. Those work and are effective, however I do believe left/right is the most intuitive. Just have to keep the one reference point in mind, which should be common sense.

I agree that if EVERYONE uses "left" as "left from spawn" then it would be intuitive.

But they don't, and because of that it is subject to confusion.

If your group needs to take 10 seconds to figure out what side is snow and what side is grass then you may as well just pack you bags and leave cause ur gonna lose and there's no hope for you.

I don't stare at the scenery, I have more important things to do while pvping. And believe me, I win often enough.

I expect if I was already at one of them I would know which has snow - but at that point I will already know if the inc is coming to me or not.

Can you manage east & west?

Aside from the whole east west debate(which imo is the most consistent and therefore the best) once you've done enough WZs you don't even need it to be called out. You can tell by the tide of the battle at the current turret whether or not you need to leave to go help another. And realistically you don't often have more than one other turret so you only have one direction to go.