Is Republic the same as Empire?

Rodstorm

Hey guys,

I thought I'd start a Republic toon up after making 2 level 50 Empire toons so I wouldnt have to go through the same planet quests again as twice was enough.

Then I thought maybe the Republic quests are exactly the same but called by a different name like the spells and abilities are.

Can anyone confirm who has toons on both sides if indeed the quests are the same for both factions on each planet?

I was originally told that the Republic planet system was different but after getting my ship last night I noticed no thier not so I'am unsure if I want to level a third toon through the same stuff all over again.

Also when you choose the light side points is there a change to your toon at each tier like there is for the darkside?

Do you physically have a glow or something or nothing happens?

Thanks for any help.

No, there is no visual effect for the light side. You just get to keep your good looks.

The republic quest zones use the same planetary maps. (Balmorra is still Balmorra, but Republic gets a different version of it than the Empire. Same with Taris.) The quests are not the same. On many planets you are on the same map as the Empire, just in a different part of it so you don't run into each other too much. As you get higher level, the faction camps are placed closer to each other. On Voss you quest in the same places, but do different things.

Same maps. Different quests.

The quests are VERY similar, but no, not exactly the same. Obviously there are differences, but it's more or less no dissimilar from playing different classes in the same faction. At least from my experience. Probably makes it easier on BW to not have to write entirely new quests for both factions.

No, there is no visual effect for the light side. You just get to keep your good looks.

The republic quest zones use the same planetary maps. (Balmorra is still Balmorra, but Republic gets a different version of it than the Empire. Same with Taris.) The quests are not the same. On many planets you are on the same map as the Empire, just in a different part of it so you don't run into each other too much. As you get higher level, the faction camps are placed closer to each other. On Voss you quest in the same places, but do different things.

Same maps. Different quests.

Actually, some of the quests are indeed the same. For example, off the top of my head Tatoonie has the one where you go searching for yet another artifact from Czerka, and by the time you get to searching the sealed base, it's the same on both sides. Others are more differentiated, it really depends on how much of the map is "shared", so to speak. And of course, class quests will be different regardless of side.

Hey guys,

I thought I'd start a Republic toon up after making 2 level 50 Empire toons so I wouldnt have to go through the same planet quests again as twice was enough.

Then I thought maybe the Republic quests are exactly the same but called by a different name like the spells and abilities are.

Can anyone confirm who has toons on both sides if indeed the quests are the same for both factions on each planet?

I was originally told that the Republic planet system was different but after getting my ship last night I noticed no thier not so I'am unsure if I want to level a third toon through the same stuff all over again.

Also when you choose the light side points is there a change to your toon at each tier like there is for the darkside?

Thanks for any help.

The leveling planets are different, but not too drastically. Ord Mantel and Tython instead of Hutta and Koriban (of course), Dromund Kaas instead of Coruscant, and most noticably, Balmorra and Taris are reveresed. Empire does Balmorra in between Dromund kaas and Nar shadda, but Republic does Taris there instead. Also, the quests are different, but some of the planet quests still have to do with the same thing, like on Tatooine the planet quest follows teh company as you dig into the secret base, but they do it for different reasons.

Lightside and Darkside really shouldn't be associated with Empire and Republic. You could check out lightside on your empire toons..... Stop assuming the Empire is "evil" and the republic is "goodie goodie two-shoes," smugglers and troopers can be downright a-holes.

Actually, some of the quests are indeed the same. For example, off the top of my head Tatoonie has the one where you go searching for yet another artifact from Czerka, and by the time you get to searching the sealed base, it's the same on both sides. Others are more differentiated, it really depends on how much of the map is "shared", so to speak. And of course, class quests will be different regardless of side.

Only a small part of that quest line is shared between the factions. Republic quest starts out with you going to the comm towers, while the empire has a whole quest line around that wiry sith lord, jawas, and wall hangings in sand people caverns.

Edited by Miaxi

No.

The Republic has far far far far fewer people that play the faction.

Seriously, all the classes are almost exact mirrors of each other...skills just get called another name and have a different animation.

And project takes too long to hit while shock is instant. Pfft.

If you're seriously looking to reroll Republic, and you're on the east coast or near it. Roll on the server "The Fatman"

There is about 200 people on the fleet during peak times, and constantly 50+ on planets during peak times.

To answer your question about the quests being mirrored, no they aren't. You're going to have SOME quests in zones where empire and republic quest that are the same but the majority are completely different.

Granted that it is essentially the same kind of quests like retrieving x or killing x amount of y but you get it.

I prefer Republic because not everyone speaks with a british accent and I find the planets have more diverse story lines rather than "STOP THE REPUBLIC"

The world arc for each planet is completely different. Not sure about the one-off quests or heroic quests, but the most important quests, the world arcs, are completely different. Edited by iResist

Hey guys,

Thanks for any help.

I have a level 50 sage and a level 50 sniper.

In my opinion, its almost two different games. I noticed maybe a dozen quests (outside FPs) that both factions shared, and they were mostly on Voss and Hoth.

I find it actually quite intriguing, especially the world arcs. For example, you go to Voss to convince the Voss people to ally with your faction. How you go about it and the characters you meet are completely different. In some world arcs, you even end up facing off against characters you would have worked for in the opposing factions world arc.

Later worlds, like after Quesh, will share vast amounts of space between factions for general questing, but nar shaddaa, tattooine, alderaan, and quesh are practically split down the middle. I can easily say that if you simply did an assortment of side quests, your main mission, and the world arc for all of these planets, for ONE faction, you literally only saw half of those planets.

I cant really say the same for planets like hoth, belsavis, and voss. You see pretty much everything from both factions.

I have a level 50 sage and a level 50 sniper.

In my opinion, its almost two different games. I noticed maybe a dozen quests (outside FPs) that both factions shared, and they were mostly on Voss and Hoth.

I find it actually quite intriguing, especially the world arcs. For example, you go to Voss to convince the Voss people to ally with your faction. How you go about it and the characters you meet are completely different. In some world arcs, you even end up facing off against characters you would have worked for in the opposing factions world arc.

Later worlds, like after Quesh, will share vast amounts of space between factions for general questing, but nar shaddaa, tattooine, alderaan, and quesh are practically split down the middle. I can easily say that if you simply did an assortment of side quests, your main mission, and the world arc for all of these planets, for ONE faction, you literally only saw half of those planets.

I cant really say the same for planets like hoth, belsavis, and voss. You see pretty much everything from both factions.

thats good to know, feeling like 2nd half of the game to check out, not been on empire side yet accept in beta as BH, Rift was similar I liked the 2 different worlds thing.

Edited by CygnusMX

yeah agreed on what the last poster said, in some cases it's like you see the 'opposite' of the story you already know. you find out things you didn't on the other faction, and all of a sudden things 'make sense'... especially on Voss I noticed that already knowing 'the other side' leads to interesting conclusions :)

If you're seriously looking to reroll Republic, and you're on the east coast or near it. Roll on the server "The Fatman"

There is about 200 people on the fleet during peak times, and constantly 50+ on planets during peak times.

try the swiftxxx server,

it almost 7*24 standard population, if u r not an American, choose it.

Thanks guys awesome help, I was hoping by playing the other faction that I had in fact only played half the game so far so to speak so looking forward to how everything pans out.

Thats the main reason I wanted to switch sides was to see more of the game if indeed it was going to be different plus I couldnt level up again for the third time doing the same stuff again.

I made a Marauder up and got him to level 16 before I thought no way this is so boring, not the class, just the same quests again.

So now I have a Sentinel and my world is happy again now knowing we're in for something different :}

I'am an Aussie but play on The Harbringer, there seems to be people around all the time and even when the free transfers come up in April theres only one pve Oceanic server to go to so maybe better ping rate but if I'am settled on The Harbringer I'll stay.

Edited by Rodstorm

Wait, so the Republic has the same maps but different quests? Like if I go to Balmorra with a jedi character i still start in the same city with the spaceport on the north and the cantina on the south and then proceed to that scrapyard-looking place with turrets protected bt shields, but I do different quests?

God I hope not!

Wait, so the Republic has the same maps but different quests?
Most of the worlds are shared between the two factions, except for a few exceptions (starter planets, capitals, Taris and I think Balmorra). However, the two sides have separate bases and quest areas on most planets -- on several, there is a shared quest area used by the bonus quest at the end. As noted above, later planets tend to have more overlap.

On most planets, you can wander into the enemy areas by following whatever roads lead off your map into areas that you haven't been sent on quests. Stealth helps a lot here, especially on PVP servers. The Republic map is the same map as the Imperials get, but as an Imperial you probably didn't explore all the Republic areas, and you probably didn't see a lot of Republic players wandering around Imperial quest areas.

Edited by sjmc