Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

RuQu

No it's not. You will be here months from now, playing through boot camp, just like you are now. I mean, if I was as fed up as you claim to be, I would not even be on the forums. I certainly would not have paid for and subscribed to the game if I felt as you did. It's not like this game not being on Mac any time soon is news. We have known that it wouldn't be and won't be on mac any time soon, for quite a while.

But hey, it's your time and money buddy.

I never played on Boot Camp, and never would. Don't want to stain my Mac with that crap.

My account was cancelled a month ago. Once you see me stop posting here, that's the last you'll see of me, because the account will finally have caught up with the cancellation.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never played on Boot Camp, and never would. Don't want to stain my Mac with that crap.

My account was cancelled a month ago. Once you see me stop posting here, that's the last you'll see of me, because the account will finally have caught up with the cancellation.

However, until then you will keep manufacturing data and scrubbing statistics to support your theories? That's cool. It's been fun!

I believe you missed a certain interview with the BioWare co-founders.

Is it saying the same thing almost every interview with a developer that the question of native OSX support comes up on?

"We'd love to do it and we're looking into the possibility?"

Here's the big hurdles I can see...

1. HeroEngine - It's scripting language isn't a big issue it's "Java like" but it's C++ Foundation might be since we don't know how many of the Microsoft proprietary run times it relies on.
  2. Market Share - Sure Tablets, iOS blah blah blah, you have to realize a tablet version would require a ton of work just to make up for lack of you know a keyboard. Mac's? See above about the Engine.
  3. Mach/BSD Hybrid Kernel vs NT Kernel - Macs simply handle processes and data differently, we don't know if it's even possible to port the game over without massive re-write to portions of the code to make it run properly due to how the kernel handles data, and mesh well cross platform.
  4. Apple's "Walled Garden" approach to software - EA is a business, they aren't going to like Apple taking a cut of each sale. Even if they did release it expect it to cost more for Mac users than the PC version.

Luckily, thanks to the power of partitions, it's a stain that can easily be cleaned up with the click of a button :)

Only true if your doing amateur stuff. Want professional? Go BSD Linux.

would love too, but I can't figure out how to get apt-get update to use an automatic configuration script.

i mean, i can get firefox connected to the internet fine, but everything else just times out

Really sorry about your luck, guess all that stuff you posted was ignored by everyone at EA.

That must sting.

would love too, but I can't figure out how to get apt-get update to use an automatic configuration script.

i mean, i can get firefox connected to the internet fine, but everything else just times out

Ya, that's one of the things about BSD Linux. You have to do a lot of the trouble shooting yourself or know where to look to find the solution, while the other OSes (OSX, Windows) is more forgiving in the limited computer knowledge of the everyday lay person.

edit: not to mention they have a more centralized "help" center.

Edited by Apocalypsezero

Ya, that's one of the things about BSD Linux. You have to do a lot of the trouble shooting yourself or know where to look to find the solution, while the other OSes (OSX, Windows) is more forgiving in the limited computer knowledge of the everyday lay person.

edit: not to mention they have a more centralized "help" center.

Except in my case, I don't think there is a fix. Seems Linux just isn't programmed to do this particular task. It can run a manual proxy if you tweak some settings but not an automatic http one :(

I don't get what all of the arguments are accomplishing in this thread. SWTOR was released on both PC and MAC, its just not released on OSX, big deal, its the price you pay for using a MAC, Literally.

I went on apple.com to see if I could build a laptop as good as mine and what it would cost. First, the options are not there to begin with to even build a laptop with as good of specs as mine, and even trying to get close by using the top options in some of the categories, its still not close and costs almost twice as much.

My Laptop specs:

~$1600.00 from Malibal.com

15inch Matte finish anti-glare 1920x1080 Display.

Intel 2670QM 2.2GHZ 8-Core Processor

8GB of 1600MHZ Ram

500GB 7200RPM HHD

Geforce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5 RAM Video Card

Windows 7

3Year Tech support, parts and labor warranty

PCs get more viruses because they are less secure... simple as that.

it not jsut taht windows had a securty issues, it also that anyone that going to make a virus not going to aim at the population that only 10-ish%(the Macs) vs the 80%(pcs, the other 10% or random other platforms, and no the numbers are partly made up to lazzy to find the study i used for my essay while in IT school) you want to aim fo the biggest target to to cause as much trouble,hack data, etc to the majority.

and Mac OS not perfect other wise tehre would enver be aneed for they updates tehy do, including some if you read the notes security updates to prevernt securty issues.AKA hackers,virus,etc. hell 3 years ago asa class project me and 3 other hacked 3 diffent mac ystems in the computer lab to show poeple macs can be hacked, jsut takes allittle more skill and diffrent tools then a PC.

I don't get what all of the arguments are accomplishing in this thread. SWTOR was released on both PC and MAC, its just not released on OSX, big deal, its the price you pay for using a MAC, Literally.

I went on apple.com to see if I could build a laptop as good as mine and what it would cost. First, the options are not there to begin with to even build a laptop with as good of specs as mine, and even trying to get close by using the top options in some of the categories, its still not close and costs almost twice as much.

My Laptop specs:

8GB of 1600MHZ Ram

500GB 7200RPM HHD

Windows 7

Actually, it wasn't released on PC and Mac. The developers said it would be. "That's what Bootcamp is for", one of them said. Yet, if I were to email them for technical support, they will write me back saying my system is not supported for SWTOR. Even though I'm running the same OS as everyone else.

Oh, and a similar specced laptop from apple costs about as much as the one you posted. Maybe a hundred or two more. I wasn't very good at math, but I learned enough to know that's hardly TWICE as much.

My Laptop specs:

8GB of 1600MHZ Ram

500GB 7200RPM HHD

Windows 7

What does cost have to do with anything?

And don't be naive - TOR was not released on the Mac.

That's what we're asking for, and that's what BioWare is planning on doing.

Edited by Notannos
rude

Oh, and a similar specced laptop from apple costs about as much as the one you posted. Maybe a hundred or two more. I wasn't very good at math, but I learned enough to know that's hardly TWICE as much.

Here let me be more specific with a direct comparison, Like I said though, you don't even have the option to build one nearly as good and still pay way more.

My Laptop specs:

15inch Matte finish anti-glare 1920x1080 Display

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz 8-Core Processor

8GB of 1600MHZ Ram

500GB 7200RPM HHD

Windows 7

MacBookPro Specs:

~$2648.00

15inch anti-glare 1680x1050 Display (1080P not available)

Intel Core i7 2.2GHz 4-Core(8 Core not available)

8GB of 1333MHZ RAM (1600MHZ not available)

750GB 7200RPM HHD(7200RPM not available in the 500GB size)

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5(no other graphic cards offered in with this 2.2GHz CPU model)

3Year Applecare

Here let me be more specific with a direct comparison, Like I said though, you don't even have the option to build one nearly as good and still pay way more.

My Laptop specs

What I pay for my hardware is of ZERO concern to you. And I have news for you - TOR isn't a hardcore game. TOR isn't a taxing game. It runs on a toaster. ANY current Mac hardware can run around blindfolded and run TOR on max settings.

So take the spew elsewhere, it's not what this thread is about.

BioWare's co-founders have acknowledged the importance of the Mac market and their intent to serve it. Deal with it.

Edited by Notannos

What I pay for my hardware is of ZERO concern to you. And I have news for you - TOR isn't a hardcore game. TOR isn't a taxing game. It runs on a toaster. ANY current Mac hardware can run around blindfolded and run TOR on max settings.

So take the spew elsewhere, it's not what this thread is about.

BioWare's co-founders have acknowledged the importance of the Mac market and their intent to serve it. Deal with it.

Cause it's gonna cost ya. Yes, Bootcamp does allow you to run Windows programs. That's how I play the game...and i spent an extra $120 just for the privilege.

Right now a large number of players use Macs running Bootcamp, and they spent $100-$180 for the chance to play this game.

Some of us really love this game. We'd love to get some of our friends and family members to play...but they use Macs to.

Actually cost is an issue based on this quote from the OP. And my posts are on topic.

My point is that if you are willing to over pay for your computer just to say you use an Apple computer, then you have to deal with the added costs. The game runs fine on a mac using bootcamp and in my opinion the developers should spend their time improving the game and adding more content instead of developing the game for the OSX.

There is no reason to use a MAC over a PC, the OP is concerned that his friends and family won't play the game because of the added cost of bootcamp on top of their already over priced mac computers. Since cost does seem to be an issue, maybe its time they switched a pc which gives you more bang for your buck.

Edited by Notannos

There is no reason to use a MAC over a PC, the OP is concerned that his friends and family won't play the game because of the added cost of bootcamp on top of their already over priced mac computers. Since cost does seem to be an issue, maybe its time they switched a pc which gives you more bang for your buck.

Again, this is not a platform-centric evangelization thread. This is a SWTOR-centric thread within which people show interest of a native version of the game for OS X. If you don't agree, that's your right no to but this is not a thread do discuss the price of your computer vs. mine or someone else's.

Please guys, stick to the topic.

Last warning? oh please, please don't let it be my last warning.... What will I do if you tell me I cannot post my opinions in this public forum.... With all of your authority and say so.

Actually cost is an issue based on this quote from the OP. And my posts are on topic.

My point is that if you are willing to over pay for your computer just to say you use an Apple computer, then you have to deal with the added costs. The game runs fine on a mac using bootcamp and in my opinion the developers should spend their time improving the game and adding more content instead of developing the game for the OSX.

No one buys an Apple just to say they have one. They buy an Apple becuase it's an Apple. Their products are literally famous for high customer satisfaction. You're gonna have a very hard time convincing someone to switch to products that are known for weasaling out of warranties and overseas customer service.

Edited by Toxen

Last warning... stop trolling the thread with off-topic nonsense about cost.

One of your main arguments of the cost of having to buy Windows to play on the mac. It is obvious that anyone shilling out a couple thousand of dollars for what should be a $1000 computer would be bent about having to buy Windows too.

One of your main arguments of the cost of having to buy Windows to play on the mac. It is obvious that anyone shilling out a couple thousand of dollars for what should be a $1000 computer would be bent about having to buy Windows too.

I will spend all the money in the world when there is VALUE to be had. Do you know what VALUE means? I mean, truly, do you?

There is no VALUE in buying Windows. As a matter of fact it removes value from my system because I have to boot out of my Mac, which creates VALUE for me, to use it. And TOR carries absolutely zero value with it...

So no, I'm not going to spend $200 extra dollars, not because I can't afford it - I most certainly can. But because it delivers no VALUE to me.

I'm really amused by the people saying it's not worth it for BW, when every day on this forum we see one thread or another demonstrating exactly how server populations create their own feedback cycle.

Clearly it's one of those things that that other company understands, like polished UIs, even if at this point they're just blindly following rules set forth by now departed founders.

Edited by Ansultares

Greeting Everyone,

We wanted to post this reminder once again since we've noticed posts going off-topic and not contributing to constructive discussion. This thread is not for the purpose of debating what platform is better or to criticize other members for using their platform of choice.

Hi there!

We recently had to remove some posts in this thread. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

If you find that your post focuses more on the behavior of another member rather than contributing to the OP, then you could be in danger of derailing the thread further. We ask that you resist the urge to "poke" other members with posts designed to belittle them or posts that are condescending in tone. These type of posts do not usually encourage constructive conversation.

If you believe that another member is behaving badly, we strongly encourage you to use the Report feature in the upper right hand corner. By continuing to respond to problematic posts, you are simply giving the poster what he wants: a reaction from you. Flag, don't fight!

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone be respectful and polite to each other while expressing an opinion. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

As a reminder, the topic of this thread is making Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ accessible to Mac users:

Cause it's gonna cost ya. Yes, Bootcamp does allow you to run Windows programs. That's how I play the game...and i spent an extra $120 just for the privilege.

Right now a large number of players use Macs running Bootcamp, and they spent $100-$180 for the chance to play this game.

Some of us really love this game. We'd love to get some of our friends and family members to play...but they use Macs to.

Every time you say, as Daniel Erickson did during the Guild Summit Livestream, that "Bootcamp works just fine," while discussing making this game accessible to as many systems as possible is "you bought an expensive computer that can run this game like a champ....clearly you can afford another $100, and therefore you are not a priority market for us. On the other hand, letting your grandmother run it on her 10 year old PC is an important demographic."

I realize that creating a client for another system is harder than optimization for one system, but being so dismissive of a decent chunk of the population is not helpful, nor does it engender goodwill in the customers who did pay an extra $100-$180 just to play your game.

There is another MMO company out there (you may have heard of them...they dominate the industry) who has done near simultaneous releases since 1996 with the second of the franchise that launched the most successful MMO ever...and that MMO was also launched for both Windows and Mac simultaneously.

I understand if your answer is "not soon." It's a technical hurdle and you didn't build for it from the start (though you probably should have). However, saying "if you want to play it, go drop an extra hundred bucks for you, your spouse, and everyone else you know who you want to get into the game and happens to be Mac people" is quite insulting to hear.

Thanks for your understanding, and please continue your friendly debate!

Only true if your doing amateur stuff. Want professional? Go BSD Linux.

Maybe it's just because I am very tired but um, am I missing something? Or were you meaning to say BSD or Linux rather than BSD Linux? If so, then my apologies.

While Linux and BSD are both UNIX-like systems, they are different kernels. There are other differences but that's mostly off-topic for this thread.

MacOSX is also a Unix-like system--it's a BSD-derivative at its core.