Bodyless Characters ruin the sense of reality

Bodyless Characters ruin the sense of reality, why is it possible to walk through characters and NPCs? Or do I play a special class like "Deceased Sith Ghost" ? This is totally ruining and contradicting my sense of a reality.

I mean the droids and guards in stations, NPCs, not player characters.

The NPCs feel dead and lifeless, I can not run them over with my speeder, they do not interact when you pass by or walk out of your way.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have sworn AoC had that...I remember something to do with a bridge and a horse...

You had an ability to crouch and walk through people, as well as everyone having stealth which also allowed this. It amazes me still how many people actually got blocked by people doing this, honestly they deserved it for being so stupid.

Imagine the horror and griefing that would occur if they actually made characters solid.

This is my first MMORPG, are these "Non-physical" bodies a requirement for this genre? Because I really like games which come close to a real environment, like Red Dead Redemption.

By the way, last time when I activated the 3523th device for blowing something up in a Quest, I was half stuck in a crate with my head. I mean.. WT*? I´m pretty sure this could have been done a bit more close to reality.

Also, the "typing" in the air when operating some device and you are not exactly standing in the right spot. There must be an easy script to get the character walking in position and typing on the actual keyboard, not stupidly operating a device in the air like a freakin´pantomime. Looks to me like a "pantomime in a glass cage" emoticon.

Bodyless Characters ruin the sense of reality, why is it possible to walk through characters and NPCs? Or do I play a special class like "Deceased Sith Ghost" ? This is totally ruining and contradicting my sense of a reality.

It's a game. If you want real go play "Life".

This is my first MMORPG, are these "Non-physical" bodies a requirement for this genre? Because I really like games which come close to a real environment, like Red Dead Redemption.

By the way, last time when I activated the 3523th device for blowing something up in a Quest, I was half stuck in a crate with my head. I mean.. WT*? I´m pretty sure this could have been done a bit more close to reality.

Also, the "typing" in the air when operating some device and you are not exactly standing in the right spot. There must be an easy script to get the character walking in position and typing on the actual keyboard, not stupidly operating a device in the air like a freakin´pantomime. Looks to me like a "pantomime in a glass cage" emoticon.

The first time you were barricaded from getting to something due to some trolling body type 3 and 4's you'd be wishing for no collision on characters.

It's a game. If you want real go play "Life".

Guess that is what Bioware thought too. Well it´s a matter of perspective, I do prefer to see games as an alternate reality, where certain physics should at least reflect some basics of the real world.

"Immersion" should be the magic word for developers.

Yes, I am nitpicky - I also wonder why I can go with two-seated taxis, but my Companion magically vanishes instead of sitting beside me. This is bugging me again and again, it just seems like a hole in the game.

Guess that is what Bioware thought too. Well it´s a matter of perspective, I do prefer to see games as an alternate reality, where certain physics should at least reflect some basics of the real world.

"Immersion" should be the magic word for developers.

Yes, I am nitpicky - I also wonder why I can go with two-seated taxis, but my Companion magically vanishes instead of sitting beside me. This is bugging me again and again, it just seems like a hole in the game.

I think it's a gameplay thing as well. If there was collision then on the fleet you would probably be standing still all day.

It's what the players themselves have selected over time, in that MMO's with body collision result in non-stop griefing.

Then perhaps, could it be an option to be turned on an off ? This would be nice in the preferences menu, I´d certainly turn player or NPC collision on.

The only spot I saw many players standing around is on the galactic trade terminals, but I never saw the terminals to be blocked.

Welcome to mmo's, if we had physical bodies or filled up bodies, do you realise what the fleet would be like? *faints*

An MMO is not RDR, because the game supports so many players in such a small area at some times, mmo's have to sacrafice some physics that single player games or 8 MP person games such as GTA and RDR can do. Also note, characters can catch onto environment and objects and become randomly stuck. If characters and npc's were impassible this would create a HUGE amount of issues, not to mention screaming players. People would also use this to their advantage. You might get a group of trolls who decide to create a wall of people blocking off a path in the fleet or an elevator etc....yeah very fun then for everyone.

Collision detection in most game engines is also one of THE largest drains on system resources. In an MMO environment where characters have collision detection turned on for other character models, this can cause a lot more lag.

Another good example are steps. Look at almost every MMO where you see an area with stone steps going up to a temple, or a staircase in a building. If you turn the camera and watch your feet, you're actually climbing up a ramp with one slope instead of multiple little steps. Creating a jagged step-by-step collision model would greatly increase the amount of resources needed, so why bother when the illusion works just fine?

Final Fantasy XIV had player collision detection turned on at launch, and throughout beta I commented on how idiotic that was. A few months later they finally disabled it and guess what? Like half the lag in the game vanished from that one simple change.

Welcome to mmo's, if we had physical bodies or filled up bodies, do you realise what the fleet would be like? *faints*

An MMO is not RDR, because the game supports so many players in such a small area at some times, mmo's have to sacrafice some physics that single player games or 8 MP person games such as GTA and RDR can do. Also note, characters can catch onto environment and objects and become randomly stuck. If characters and npc's were impassible this would create a HUGE amount of issues, not to mention screaming players. People would also use this to their advantage. You might get a group of trolls who decide to create a wall of people blocking off a path in the fleet or an elevator etc....yeah very fun then for everyone.

Ok, I see the point of this.

But would there be any objection if I personally can turn on that I want player and NPC collision in the preferences? I wouldn´t mind if players can pass through me.

I only gut stuck once when I fell down a mountain on Alderaan so far.

Ok, I see the point of this.

But would there be any objection if I personally can turn on that I want player and NPC collision in the preferences? I wouldn´t mind if players can pass through me.

I only gut stuck once when I fell down a mountain on Alderaan so far.

I am curious of how many MMOs you have played?

Collision detection in most game engines is also one of THE largest drains on system resources. In an MMO environment where characters have collision detection turned on for other character models, this can cause a lot more lag.

ok then it is certainly not an option, I see

Another good example are steps. Look at almost every MMO where you see an area with stone steps going up to a temple, or a staircase in a building. If you turn the camera and watch your feet, you're actually climbing up a ramp with one slope instead of multiple little steps. Creating a jagged step-by-step collision model would greatly increase the amount of resources needed, so why bother when the illusion works just fine?

true, that works fine

Final Fantasy XIV had player collision detection turned on at launch, and throughout beta I commented on how idiotic that was. A few months later they finally disabled it and guess what? Like half the lag in the game vanished from that one simple change.

Good to know, I certainly do not want worse performance, I´m already having some FPS drops with this game, which should not happen on an 8-core and a GTX 480 playing at 2560x1600

• 4 weeks later...

It has a lot to do with delay too.

Where you see other players is not where they see themselves. (while moving of course)

And as far as moving up to the correct place on consoles, etc, most players don't want their characters automatically moved (cut scenes excluded) and making the actual area from which you can activate a device smaller can be very annoying.

I agree with all the things you say, there are technical and practical reasons why things aren't that way now. Give it 10 years or so. ;)

Oh, and the original idea way so have your companion ride on taxis with you . . . but the trooper warbot messed that up, so none of us get that now :(

I really wanted Risha sitting on my lap when riding my personal speeder . . . but then I though about having Bodaar along :eek: