Upgraded my CPU and am very pleased

mhuntly

I had a 2.2GHz amd phenom x4 and upgraded to a i5 2500k. The i5 rofl stomps this game. I also have an msi 560ti twinfrozer2/oc. I have all graphics settings maxed out besides aa is on low and get 100+ fps besides in illums major battles I bog down to about 40fps which is completely payable. That is due to the servers not the "bad code". Edited by mhuntly

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that with OC'ing your 2500k?

I am also very pleased i am using an i7 2700k oc'd to 4.5 ghz. on a asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1

I am playing on a radeon 6950 1 gb i dont notice any slowdown really, but i dont really play on ilum so that would be something i would have to test out. I have everything on max settings including AA.

You can only look at your FPS with an external program for this game right? There is no in game fps meter unless i am mistaken.

Regardless even with 200 people on imperial fleet i notice 0 slowdown (sure some may be there but it is not evident to my eyes)

Edited by Samborino

I am also very pleased i am using an i7 2700k oc'd to 4.5 ghz. on a asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1

I am playing on a radeon 6950 1 gb i dont notice any slowdown really, but i dont really play on ilum so that would be something i would have to test out. I have everything on max settings including AA.

You can only look at your FPS with an external program for this game right? There is no in game fps meter unless i am mistaken.

Regardless even with 200 people on imperial fleet i notice 0 slowdown (sure some may be there but it is not evident to my eyes)

Refresh rate of 60hz?

Refresh rate of 60hz?

Most people won't notice until the frame-rate drops under 30. The "under 60 is terrible" folks fall into one of two categories:

- Experienceing a placebo effect from knowing the frame-rate, likely due to a conversation with someone from the second group.

- A certain small portion of the population is actually able to notice frame-to-frame lag before 60 frames. After that, it's pretty much impossible.

Unless you game on a CRT still, yes refresh rate will be 60Hz...

And no need for it to be higher (sans 3D) human eyes are not that sensitive, which is why movies are generally 24-30FPS :D.

Mid you, movies get away with lower because the motion blur comes in with the recording, helping the brain fill in the gaps between frames.

I had a 2.2GHz amd phenom x4 and upgraded to a i5 2500k. The i5 rofl stomps this game. I also have an msi 560ti twinfrozer2/oc. I have all graphics settings maxed out besides aa is on low and get 100+ fps besides in illums major battles I bog down to about 40fps which is completely payable. That is due to the servers not the "bad code".

You better not be lying :p

I just ordered this video card and we will see the results. Ilum used to be 1-5 fps literally. So an upgrade to 40 will be epic.

Really, the only thing in my computer that is lacking was the video card. I was using a XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3. So in comparison, the new chard has twice the clock speed, and is GDDR5 instead of 3. I'll be interested in the results.

Yes that is after overclocking i5@4.5 but it was still above 60fps out of illum before overclocking. I actually just got a stable oc on my 560ti with 980mhz core @ 1.037v but even after that I rcommend using low setting aa if you prefer performance over quality. Also everyone should try out msi afterburner for your gpu. Run heaven to find stability.its not hard. Get your moneys worth out of your gpu.

I am using a EVGA GeForce GTX 560.

2GB superclocked from the factory...

Part number... evga 02G-P3-2069-KB

Here's a link to the complete specs...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeForce+GTX+560+2GB+GDDR5+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics+Card/3628108.p?id=1218421870828&skuId=3628108&st=evga&cp=1&lp=3

I just bought this a couple of months ago and I was told it would run ANYTHING I threw at it smooth as butter.

I am running a AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor with 2.8G

(Quad-Core)

8 Gigs of DDR3 SDRAM

It is showing me hopping at 20s and 30s on Frames per second on Ilum at central.

There is not any fighting going on right now so i wouldnt think it was REALLY bogged down.

At the Imperial Fleet it is showing me at the 30's-40's on Frames per second.

Really weird because once i get on another planet or something I can get into the 80-90's.

Again I dont see or notice any skipping or anything at these frame rates... but I DO on ilum.. ESPECIALLY during battle.

I have'nt had any kind of lag or skipping until I came to Ilum and I have kept my setttings on High for graphics.

Do my frames per second seem bad?

If so why am I getting this?

What can I do to improve it?

Thanks!

This game DOES do odd things with hardware. I've got:

Phenom II X4 @ 3.5 GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM

EVGA Geforce 460 GTX 1GB

It's rare I see anything below 60 fps, and very rare to see 40 or less. I don't PVP, but playing all the way to 50 in heroics and whatnot, it never stumbles. Even when Fleet is crowded it never drops from refresh rate at 60fps.

Edited by Daekarus

2GB superclocked from the factory...!

For anyone shopping for video cards:

A "GTX 560" is not the same as a "GTX 560 Ti".

The "560" has 12% fewer cores and a significantly lower memory bandwidth. The "560 Ti" will noticeably outperform the "560", even at stock. The "560 Ti" does run at a lower clock speed than the "560", but this is made up by the greater ability to overclock the "560 Ti", giving it an even larger performance advantage. The "560" does run a bit cooler, though.

The "560" is still a good card. Not trying to trash it. I just think that its worth the extra $40 to get the "560 Ti".

Just wanted people to understand the difference.

The "560" has 12% fewer cores and a significantly lower memory bandwidth. The "560 Ti" will noticeably outperform the "560", even at stock. The "560 Ti" does run at a lower clock speed than the "560", but this is made up by the greater ability to overclock the "560 Ti", giving it an even larger performance advantage. The "560" does run a bit cooler, though.

The "560" is still a good card. Not trying to trash it. I just think that its worth the extra $40 to get the "560 Ti".

I can overclock this.... EVGA has a program to do so.

Not sure if you were saying you cannot overclock the one I have.

The core clock runs at 865 out of the box.

Should I use the Precision software they have to overclock this sucker?

Also.. I'm no pro at this... so what would be a safe numbers on core, shader, and memory, or can I max them and everything be safe as long as I use the fan settings to keep things running cool?

Will this help me improve those frame rates?

Also... I have noticed there are quite a few different versions of the 560 even not as a "ti"

Very odd how there are a vast number of different 560's out there AND different 560 "ti"'s.

Hopefully mine is as good or as close to yours lol.

Wanna check out the specs for me and tell me how you rate them side by side?

I'd REALLY appreciate it...

Here is the EXACT one I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeForce+GTX+560+2GB+GDDR5+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics+Card/3628108.p?id=1218421870828&skuId=3628108&st=evga&cp=1&lp=3

Specs tab at the bottom of the page.

Also... about that overclocking question I had just now.

What do you think?

I can overclock this.... EVGA has a program to do so.

Not sure if you were saying you cannot overclock the one I have.

The core clock runs at 865 out of the box.

Should I use the Precision software they have to overclock this sucker?

Also.. I'm no pro at this... so what would be a safe numbers on core, shader, and memory, or can I max them and everything be safe as long as I use the fan settings to keep things running cool?

Will this help me improve those frame rates?

Increase your core/shader clock 10mhz at a time

Run heaven benchmarker

If you see artifacts (blue diamonds) increase voltage

Stop when you get driver error and go back to stable settings

Don't copy someone elses oc it won't work most likely

You can use their software

Most people won't notice until the frame-rate drops under 30. The "under 60 is terrible" folks fall into one of two categories:

- Experienceing a placebo effect from knowing the frame-rate, likely due to a conversation with someone from the second group.

- A certain small portion of the population is actually able to notice frame-to-frame lag before 60 frames. After that, it's pretty much impossible.

ITT: people who don't understand the difference between refresh rate and frame rate

This game DOES do odd things with hardware. I've got:

Phenom II X4 @ 3.5 GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM

EVGA Geforce 460 GTX 1GB

It's rare I see anything below 60 fps, and very rare to see 40 or less. I don't PVP, but playing all the way to 50 in heroics and whatnot, it never stumbles. Even when Fleet is crowded it never drops from refresh rate at 60fps.

More ram, overclock cpu

2GB superclocked from the factory...

Part number... evga 02G-P3-2069-KB

Here's a link to the complete specs...

I just bought this a couple of months ago and I was told it would run ANYTHING I threw at it smooth as butter.

I am running a AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor with 2.8G

(Quad-Core)

8 Gigs of DDR3 SDRAM

It is showing me hopping at 20s and 30s on Frames per second on Ilum at central.

There is not any fighting going on right now so i wouldnt think it was REALLY bogged down.

At the Imperial Fleet it is showing me at the 30's-40's on Frames per second.

Really weird because once i get on another planet or something I can get into the 80-90's.

Again I dont see or notice any skipping or anything at these frame rates... but I DO on ilum.. ESPECIALLY during battle.

I have'nt had any kind of lag or skipping until I came to Ilum and I have kept my setttings on High for graphics.

Do my frames per second seem bad?

If so why am I getting this?

What can I do to improve it?

Thanks!

You may want to overclock your CPU. Find someone with your same motherboard on google for guidance. Those processors can push

I had a 2.2GHz amd phenom x4 and upgraded to a i5 2500k. The i5 rofl stomps this game. I also have an msi 560ti twinfrozer2/oc. I have all graphics settings maxed out besides aa is on low and get 100+ fps besides in illums major battles I bog down to about 40fps which is completely payable. That is due to the servers not the "bad code".

I agree (I'm running the same setup, which I overclocked to a humble 4.5ghz). I have to assume that the people whining about major lag even on "super comps" either overrate their computers, or have some other problem bogging down their rig. Sometimes I dip down to 25 or so on Ilum (when we're talking 60+ people on screen), but even then it's very playable.

I meant gpu.

Actually I have. Not super-aggressively, imho, but by 150MHz. I might get a bit of improvement from more RAM but I'll never notice it. Not going to build another computer for another 2 years I think.