Could Qui-Gon Jinn have trained Anakin any better than Obi-wan?

TJBartlemus

Windu changed in that fight with Palps. I doubt he was even Jedi after beating Sidious.

He released himself into Vapaad which is something he had trained his entire life to not do. He had to do what was necessary to kill Palps, but he'd probably be dark-sided after it.

Now I'm sure that could be possible, but really if you have been a master for so long it would be hard to just change to the dark side. But then again the fall to the dark side is not an immediate one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm sure that could be possible, but really if you have been a master for so long it would be hard to just change to the dark side. But then again the fall to the dark side is not an immediate one.

Well, Vapaad works where it channels the opponents and the User's Dark Side into lightsaber form. And he was channeling the Most Powerful Sith Lord's Dark Sideness, which probably means he was encased into it. Hence at the end, "I'm going to end this once and for all." That actually isn't really much like Mace.

Most Weak-minded Jedi just by being in the presence of Sidious are engulfed into Darkness.

Galen Marek was struggling to not give into it and in the ROTJ Novel it called him a Nexus of the Dark Side.

Qui Gon is played by Liam Neeson. If you don't listen to Liam Neeson, bad things happen to you.

Still say that was the point where episodes 1-3 went into the toilet. Annoying aliens I can understand. Liam Neeson losing a fight that Ewan McGregor could win? Sorry, too unrealistic

Qui Gon is played by Liam Neeson. If you don't listen to Liam Neeson, bad things happen to you.

Still say that was the point where episodes 1-3 went into the toilet. Annoying aliens I can understand. Liam Neeson losing a fight that Ewan McGregor could win? Sorry, too unrealistic

Maul got killed because he was so busy showing off instead of killing Obi Wan and being done with the whole thing. That's what got Maul killed.

Maul got killed because he was so busy showing off instead of killing Obi Wan and being done with the whole thing. That's what got Maul killed.

Actually technically he lived. Very unbelievable but yes he "lived". (If you count on only having half of a body.) He had the will to live and escaped by going into a vent during his fall. He made it off the planet but as only a shell of who he was. And the fact he could survive this and any one else cast down a vent couldn't (Sideous) is absolutely unbelievable. But hen again even if Sideous did survive the death Star explosion would certainly kill him.

Actually technically he lived. Very unbelievable but yes he "lived". (If you count on only having half of a body.) He had the will to live and escaped by going into a vent during his fall. He made it off the planet but as only a shell of who he was. And the fact he could survive this and any one else cast down a vent couldn't (Sideous) is absolutely unbelievable. But hen again even if Sideous did survive the death Star explosion would certainly kill him.

No one knows if falling into the vent is actually canon. If the TV show retconns it, then its not canon.

I have a feeling it'll get retconned.

What do you think would have happened if Qui-gon lived and taught Anakin instead of Obi-wan? And if he did would Anakin have ever turned into Darth Vader?

Qui- gon already had an apprentice so he couldn't even if he wanted to, but since he was older, and more experienced I think so.

Well it is mostly believed that the show is canon because it is right below G-canon (original trilogy) and above C-canon (books, EU and such.)

explained here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

So what happens in the episodes is considered as canon.

I was talking about the Novel. If the show retconns it, then the Novel isn't canon.

Meaning: If they brung DM back but the not the same they brought him back in the Novel and he wasn't brought back immediately after dueling Kenobi then that Novel won't be canon.

Edited by BrandonSM

I also think Qui-Gon Jinn would have fared better mentoring Anakin than Obi-Wan. The bond between Qui-Gon and the very young Anakin was immediate and apparent in TPM. Remember that Anakin was thrust upon Obi-Wan only due to Qui-Gon's premature death and his final wish. And that Obi-Wan just became a full-fledged Jedi Knight when taking Anakin under his wing.

Now, this is not to mean that Obi-Wan was a lousy mentor, but these cannot be ignored: Qui-Gon's immediate bond with Anakin, being one of the more powerful Masters in the Jedi Order (he *did* strong arm the Council into taking in Anakin), and that he already was a full-fledged Master with a wealth of knowledge and experience to teach Anakin.

I think Qui-Gon's rank and influence would have shielded Anakin from the suspicion and BS that he actually received (the ROTS novelization is outstanding in showing this). As great as Obi-Wan was, he was the "Jedi Council's Man," while Anakin's personality would have fitted perfectly with the somewhat unorthodox Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon may have been unorthodox and rebellious, but he stayed true to the Order and Republic to the end, and that kind of style, IMO, would have fit Anakin perfectly.

Again, that immediate bond between Anakin and Qui-Gon could have only developed more over the years, and Qui-Gon's influence, being a mentor and father figure, as well as being the actual man that found and recruited Anakin into the Order, would have been powerful offsets against Sidious' influence.

I also think Qui-Gon Jinn would have fared better mentoring Anakin than Obi-Wan. The bond between Qui-Gon and the very young Anakin was immediate and apparent in TPM. Remember that Anakin was thrust upon Obi-Wan only due to Qui-Gon's premature death and his final wish. And that Obi-Wan just became a full-fledged Jedi Knight when taking Anakin under his wing.

Now, this is not to mean that Obi-Wan was a lousy mentor, but these cannot be ignored: Qui-Gon's immediate bond with Anakin, being one of the more powerful Masters in the Jedi Order (he *did* strong arm the Council into taking in Anakin), and that he already was a full-fledged Master with a wealth of knowledge and experience to teach Anakin.

I think Qui-Gon's rank and influence would have shielded Anakin from the suspicion and BS that he actually received (the ROTS novelization is outstanding in showing this). As great as Obi-Wan was, he was the "Jedi Council's Man," while Anakin's personality would have fitted perfectly with the somewhat unorthodox Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon may have been unorthodox and rebellious, but he stayed true to the Order and Republic to the end, and that kind of style, IMO, would have fit Anakin perfectly.

Again, that immediate bond between Anakin and Qui-Gon could have only developed more over the years, and Qui-Gon's influence, being a mentor and father figure, as well as being the actual man that found and recruited Anakin into the Order, would have been powerful offsets against Sidious' influence.

This. Exactly. :)

Doesn't matter who trains Anakin, he would have fallen. He would have done the same things to save Padme because he doesn't want the same grief he experienced when his mother died.

Also yoda could have trained anakin and he will still fall. Anakin had a choice. Same thing with Luke who was trained by Yoda. They all had a choice whether to fall to the temptation of the dark side or not.

Doesn't matter who trains Anakin, he would have fallen. He would have done the same things to save Padme because he doesn't want the same grief he experienced when his mother died.

Also yoda could have trained anakin and he will still fall. Anakin had a choice. Same thing with Luke who was trained by Yoda. They all had a choice whether to fall to the temptation of the dark side or not.

It's easy to just lump everything on the shoulders of Anakin and Luke with the choices they eventually made. The choices they each made do play a pivotal role, but one cannot ignore the events, people, and circumstances that led them into those moments, or events in their lives.

Anakin Skywalker? The best possible person that, IMO, could have taught Anakin was killed (Qui-Gon). A person who's personality would have fit perfectly as a mentor and as a father figure. As I said in an earlier post, Qui-Gon would have shielded Anakin from the BS the Jedi Council would actually do to him. He would have told the Council to pack sand, and leave Anakin's training to him. Obi-Wan? As great as he was, he'd simply regurgitate to Anakin what the Council ordered. Nothing more, nothing less. He was the Council's man through and through.

Does anyone wonder why Anakin would run only to Palpatine and not Obi-Wan for his deepest troubles? Despite Obi-Wan being his supposed "master?" Because when someone turns to someone else other than their actual leader, teacher, or mentor, it means they have no faith in them. They believe they have no faith that they can help them settle their problems. Again, Anakin was simply thrust onto a freshly made, Jedi Knight Obi-Wan, simply because Qui-Gon got killed and it was his final wish.

With the actual unfolding events of the movies, Anakin was literally on his own with the Jedi Council working against him from the very start. And Obi-Wan not really hindering the kind of things the Council were doing against him. Remember, the Council was against Anakin from the very start and fought tooth and nail to prevent his entry.

With the very organization he serves against him, and his "master" not doing anything to shield him from the bad decisions of the Council, who can Anakin turn to for his troubles? Nobody. Nobody but... that smiling, welcoming, supportive former Senator from Naboo, Palpatine, who was nothing but gracious and helpful to him from the very beginning.

Luke Skywalker on the other hand had a very much more solid background in his training. He may have been late in his training, but it was very much more isolated and free from BS. Obi-Wan had a short stint with him, but he spent good, isolated training with Yoda. Sure, he did rashly run off for Cloud City. But in the end, he learned the truth, went back for further training and counseling with Yoda. Eventually he made it his goal to redeem his father. Throughout all this, Luke never had the Rebel Alliance or the Jedi working against him. There was solidarity in the Alliance and his friends against the Empire. His Jedi mentors taught him in light of the events and mistakes leading into Anakin's fall. His training and experience leading up to ROTJ was much more solid and stable compared to his father's.

When you notice all this and how this affects their decision making, the "what-if" of Qui-Gon surviving to teach and protect Anakin until he was ready would have given Anakin a far better chance of being better than what he actually became.

If you really watch the movies you can see that Obi Wan has some issues with Anikin. Obi wan only trained him at Qui-Gons dieing request Obi Wan even stated he was dangerous.

I think Qui_Gon belived in him Obi-Wan never truely did.

Just My opinion.

Anakin greatly respected Qui-Gon, he was the man who brought him out of slavery, and Anakin himself knows Obi-Wan probably wouldnt've trained him if it weren't his dying request. Qui-Gon's interpretation of the force would probably come across better than the black and White of the Council's, Anakin would've listened to Qui-Gon more, almost eagerly, and ultimately almost the entire movie series would be change like that. *insert snap here*

Could Anakin though have felt encouraged to be more rebellious by Qui-Gon himslf being a rather unusual and rebellious Jedi Master?

Perhaps Obi-Wan's stern mentorship kept Anakin on the straight and narrow path longer.

Maybe Anakin would have been far more reluctant to engage Qui-Gon in battle after joining Sidious but for me everything else - grief after bereavement, fear of losing Padme...I'm not sure much would have changed...nobody in the Jedi Council knew the truth of Palpatine - why would Qui-Gon have been any different and kept Anakin away?

I don't know why Qui-Gon couldn't have just punched Watto in the mouth after the race and have taken both Anakin and his mother away from Tattoine to Coruscant :(

Edited by Quinn-Varos

I personally think Qui-gon could have made Anakin worse because of his defiant attitude, which would only brush off on Anakin and plus Qui-gon nearly fell to the darkside himself.

I believe that Qui-gon and Anakin would have made a more natural master and student relationship because their personalities were so alike. Qui-gon having almost gone to the dark side could have given tips on avoiding it.

I meant to say Sifo ordered it. But actually, if I'm correct Palps and Plageuis played a part in the creation as well.

Ironically, pretty much everything that happened played a role in the Grand Plan.

That's because there is no such thing as luck.

Technically that means that, at least if the EU is to be believed, Han Solo is one of the few non-force users that is considered irreplaceable by the force. There's no other explanation for him surviving all the crap he does.

Qui-gon would have done just as well and failed just as much. The only thing that could have stopped all of it would be if Anakin had never met Padme, or if Jedi were allowed to marry. Had he never met Padme, his reasons for turning to the dark side would have never existed, and had Jedi been allowed to marry, he could have flat out told them what was going on with his dreams and gotten actual help. What Yoda said to him would apply to a friend or family, but you just can't apply logic and reason when it involves your spouse.