SWTOR The Hardware Killer

RohanEagle

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Rig from digital storm (17,000 USD) monitors ect drove the price up, but the cooling is state of the art, I can run most things 1-3 degrees minus "C" SWTOR is the only game that actually puts me in over 0. With my cooling that says a ton about the games optimization. To put in perspective, I can run Google earth 100 times, play wow, aion LOL and have 600 web pages open playing videos, you tube w/e (more but got bored testing.) I had a dvd playing and my itunes downloading plus ran 3 more free to play MMOs all on the highest setting and never went above 0. I run SWTOR alone and go above 0.

SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!

Edited by Bodypull

I have a Rig from digital storm (17,000 USD) monitors ect drove the price up, but the cooling is state of the art, I can run most things 1-3 degrees minus "C" SWTOR is the only game that actually puts me in over 0. With my cooling that says a ton about the games optimization. To put in perspective, I can run Google earth 100 times, play wow, aion LOL and have 600 web pages open playing videos, you tube w/e (more but got bored testing.) I had a dvd playing and my itunes downloading plus ran 3 more free to play MMOs all on the highest setting and never went above 0. I run SWTOR alone and go above 0.

SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!

Biodrones will be here shortly explainig you how software cant do that.

My average rig gets on the fans as soon as the loading screen appears after the launcher. 560 Ti DCU2, full time gaming ~70º.

Biodrones will be here shortly explainig you how software cant do that.

My average rig gets on the fans as soon as the loading screen appears after the launcher. 560 Ti DCU2, full time gaming ~70º.

Yet your fan manages to cool and your card isnt burned up. The point of this thread is not the game is optimized poorly. This we all know is a fact. What the thread states is that swtor can ruin your hardware. In your example there is no ruined hardware. We all know swtor uses a lot of resources and needs some serious optimization work. Fact is tho even with the game in its current condition it cannot ruin your hardware if you have your system cooled properly.

The question may be - what's exactly causing the graphics card to overheat? It is not simply TOR. If it was, the problem would be apparant on lower level graphics card as well, wouldn't it?

If you really want to get to the bottom of this and assume TOR is a primary culprit, what you can do is alter your graphics settings. Disable or enable individual features to see if one of them causes it. Lower some settings. Some of these features may not even be available on lower end graphics card, or people with lower end cards users have disabled them for smooth performance.

It could very well be that it is ultimately a driver issue that only occurs when certain features are used together. And it could still be very much related to problems with your system's cooling at the same time, as the graphics card may have been expected to get hot from this, but the expected cooling capabilities should have compensated it.

When I got my 6950’s I unlocked the extra sharders and OC’ed them to stock 6970 speeds, I used Furmark http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ to test stability, it max’s out every aspect of the graphics card and will find any weakness with your cooling or overclock, I left to loop for hours and my temps didn’t get as hot as your single card! So I will state it again - your cooling isn’t doing the job!

Correct, Furmark pushes your cards more than any game. On my second system, swtor makes them hotter than Furmark ever does.

SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!

I dare you to actually run that. Not saying it won't handle it, but I bet even my 12 Core system would cry trying to run that much at once. Keyword is actually, as in without proof all we have is your word.

I dare you to actually run that. Not saying it won't handle it, but I bet even my 12 Core system would cry trying to run that much at once. Keyword is actually, as in without proof all we have is your word.

I did run it :-)

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core)

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) SATA 6b/s

16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX

1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

250GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 510 Series SSDSC2MH250A2K5) x3

Rad 0 configured

SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR)

Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU System & Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling

Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (x6)

Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller

Noise Suppression Package

Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz

Video/memory/OS all Overclocked

has multiple extras ect.... but like I said I run everything at below freezing, SWTOR bring it above 0.

I have ran SWTOR on the following systems without a hint of overheating issues.

E7200 OCed to 3.2ghz stock cooling arctic silver thermal

4gig OCed 1600 FSB bus

5770 running 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 with firefox etc up High settings low shadow

illusion 300 case with 3x 120mm and 1x 140mm fans with a fan speed controller.

Temps stay below 37c on the cpu and 50c on the GPU without even cranking the fans to full speed. Prime95 and furmark ran together on the other hand will up the temp a lot more then SWTOR.

E7200 stock arctic silver thermal

8 gig ram 1066 FSB

5750 at 1900x1080

Runs SWTOR even cooler than my main system.

e4400 OCed to 2660 arctic silver with stock cooling fan

4 gig ram 1066 FSB

G41 express chipset 1 gig system ram 1280x1024 low settings

This system is usually used for server duty but it can actually run SWTOR at low settings with pretty decent FPS. Doesn't get very hot even with the integrated graphics lacking a cooling fan. This setup has manually controlled cooling fans too.

We also have a laptop with an old turion 64 dual core with a 8800 gtwhatever card in it that runs SWTOR and also doesn't over heat.

So basically my point is I've ran this game on a variety of fairly old to somewhat new systems at even high settings without over heating issues.

My computer ran hot until I relocated my tower where it was better ventilated and pulled the casing off and took a can of air to it. Haven't had any kind of issue since then.
Couple years ago I gave up and just bought a cheap air compressor for 50 bucks and attached a water filter to it. I've saved a crapton of money from not having to buy canned air and all my electronic equipment are very clean (not to mention my tires are properly aired up etc). Edited by Tool_of_Society

Amazing :D

I'm Network Engineer and IT Technician since 1995 and you are telling me that I'm a n00b. Sincerely I never had the opportunity to read such comments as here.

Everything and everybody just BW not. That's enough for me guys, you just deserve the game :D

You've been an IT Tech for 16 years, and you don't know the difference between minimized and maximized app? Do your supervisors know?

Let me assume you're a better network engineer than you are a tech. Say you have an active-passive pair of F5's. They continuously share session state. Do you expect them to run at the same temperature, or would the passive one run cooler?

A general temp issue can you see even if the system runs idle. There is not the case. So don't try to tell me bs.

I play SWTOR with settings of High, DX11, ALL Enabled.

I hear ya. As I said earlier I had a GF280 card originally. Worked fine in numerous other games with no heat issues. SWTOR stressed it even back in beta when I first started to have some issues. 3 months later the card was dead. Replaced with an EVGA 550ti card. Not even two weeks after putting that card in I started to get thermal shutdowns on the card. Fan speed at 100% and GPU temps was 98-100degrees C. Thermal shut down temp on that card is 105degrees C. Returned it yesterday and got a PNY 560ti card. Idle temps just on desktop or surfing the web is around 40degrees C. Playing in a couple other games (TF, HL, Portal etc) temp is around 52 degrees C on the high end. Launch SWTOR and my temp climbs up to 70degrees C. With new card with fan speed around 40% GPU runs around 70-74degrees C. As soon as I close out of SWTOR I drop back down to 41degree C range.

Now I do run dual monitors, play at 1920 resolution in fullscreen windowed mode, max graphics on everything so yea the card has to work pretty hard. If I go to full screen temp does lower slightly (65-68degree C range) which isn't as high but still higher than other games I have on my system. Also one nit pick...SWTOR is still a DirectX 9 project not 11 (or even 10).

I did run it :-)

16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX

What OS you running? If its not a server OS then you are yet another person that drank the kool-aid. 32bit OS can manage up to 4G total (3G actually), 64 bit can manage up to 8G. Only a server OS can manage more than 8G. Putting 16G of memory into a desktop OS is a waste of memory and money.

What OS you running? If its not a server OS then you are yet another person that drank the kool-aid. 32bit OS can manage up to 4G total (3G actually), 64 bit can manage up to 8G. Only a server OS can manage more than 8G. Putting 16G of memory into a desktop OS is a waste of memory and money.

I don't know where you're getting your information from. Windows 64 bit is limited to 128GB of physical memory, and 8 terabytes of virtual memory. The bottleneck may (or may not be) your motherboards. It's certainly not the OS.

Actually....

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

Version-----------------Limit in 32-bit Windows-----Limit in 64-bit Windows

Windows 7 Ultimate----------4 GB-------------------192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise--------4 GB-------------------192 GB

Windows 7 Professional------4 GB-------------------192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium--4 GB--------------------16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic------4 GB---------------------8 GB

And I run 16GB on my current PC, it's very much needed due to Maya.