Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Nothing against same gender relationships or anything. But why such a big deal about this in a game?

Imo leave it out. Its not necessary.

There is more important things that need fixing way before this gets inputted.

tbh it's discriminatory, it requires the same amount of work as the current storylines, but only benefits a minority 5-10% of the players...

this means other work will be put on the backburner (of which likely 100% of the players would get benefits).

I really don't get the QQ of people not getting PREFERENTIAL treatment claiming they are discriminated against...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh it's discriminatory, it requires the same amount of work as the current storylines, but only benefits a minority 5-10% of the players...

this means other work will be put on the backburner (of which likely 100% of the players would get benefits).

I really don't get the QQ of people not getting PREFERENTIAL treatment claiming they are discriminated against...

It's discriminatory? Really? I know for a fact it doesn't take that much effort to include SGRs. I've seen Dragon Age Origins modded on PC so that Alistair becomes a romance option for a male Grey Warden, and I know that the Mass Effect games have had similar mods too. If someone at home can change the code to include SGRs I don't think it would take that much effort from Bioware.

You'd be surprised how many guys have their little f-f fantasies (to a lesser extent - Yaoi fangirls). So it's closer to 30%.

That said, I'm with those who don't think that SGRAs are necessary. Development resources would be better spent on other content that would appeal to a broader audience (ideally, everyone).

Edited by Helig

What's discriminatory (if anything) is the fact that romances were put in that are only OGRA and SGRAs were completely ignored. Also, nothing will ever really benefit 100% of players other than things like UI options. As far as gameplay aspects, like romance, there will always be people who don't care.

As for people saying SGRAs should be left out, as stated several times, this thread is not about whether or not they should be in the game. They will be in, BW has already stated that. This thread is for discussion of how it should be implemented WHEN they are put in, not IF. So, if you can't handle that they will be in the game... sorry?

...seriously?

OK, let's take this nice and slow. Billy and his friends are hungry, and so they decide to go out for delicious cake! Yay! Cake!

But oh no! For some inexplicable reason, all of Billy's friends get delicious cake, but Billy himself gets none. That's terrible! Billy is very upset, and so he asks if he too might be permitted to have a slice of delicious cake. That's only fair, right?

Wrong! See, giving Billy what his friends already have isn't going to benefit them at all! Billy's just being selfish, demanding PREFERENTIAL treatment instead of suggesting something that everyone can enjoy. Like delicious cake! ...no, wait, bad example. Delicious pie! Yay! Silly Billy, asking for cake when everybody could have pie instead! And cake! Well, except Billy, but who cares?

Then they should stop including romances period since only a minority of people tend to complete one and time could be better spent on things that benefit all.

The current romances don't benefit me and were nothing but a waste. They should just remove them and stop supporting that content. Ya ya.

nope....eg. 100 hours of voiceacting are available, 50% goes to male/female voice acting (the majority of the players), 50% to SSR (the minority).....that does mean that the minority got preferential treatment. it's simple math.

I'm going to take a guess and say you haven't played the Dragon Age games before, where the romance dialogue is exactly the same no matter what gender your character is. Some people didn't like it because it made the companions bisexual rather than gay, but most people appreciated that this provided the ability to to have a SGR in their game. All that would be needed to bring this to TOR is a code change and perhaps some small dialogue changes.

That isn't preferential treatment, not by a long shot. It's making a small effort to make sure that the player can create their in game character to be whatever they want it to be, which is the entire point of a story driven MMO.

Edited by Noirish-Jedi

I'm all for these same-gender relationships. Given some of the comments from nay-sayers, I figured I'd finally chime in.

In terms of role playing, this is an MMORPG. the RPG came long before the MMO in that phrase. Sex, sexuality, and romance are part of an adult world, and I am an adult. If I wanted to RP through a world with no sex or sexuality, I'd read my toddler one of her books.

I'm a straight male, but I usually roll female characters. Why? Because if I'm going to stare at someone's backside for 50 levels or more, I don't want it to be a guy's backside. I think that's fair! Being a female character but a male player, I'm not going to do any flirting let alone adult role play with other real people: that's creepy to me. Also, I'm married. Trust me, my wife sees a difference between me flirting with an npc (which she finds hilarious), and another player (less funny to her, I assure you).

So that leaves me with NPCs. Again being straight myself, the last thing I personally want to do is flirt with a guy. Kudos to anyone that does, but it's my sexuality, my character, and my 15 bucks a month.

But that's just half of my support for SGRAs. The other half is, I believe in equality, and who or what you are making it with in the privacy of your home (or computer monitor) is your own business, and none of mine.

Unless I can watch. Then I'll be right over.

Most people are just looking for an update. Plain and simple. We aren't demanding it be added tomorrow, we aren't demanding everything else be dropped, we aren't demanding this take priority over everything else. We just want an update. I see much fear on this forum. Fear and ignorance hiding behind statements and people saying; 'I've got nothing against you or people like you BUT...' I've heard this my whole life. You aren't kidding anyone.

Unless you've grown up in our world, in constant fear at school or at work, being treated different because of who you fell in love with. Beaten up, made fun of, seen the actual hatred in someone's eyes when they see you and your partner together. Unless you've faced this first hand you really have no right to comment.

Put yourself in our shoes. If the world around you was opposite. If the game only allowed same gender romances. How would that make you feel? Would you not want to see opposite gender ones added?

Edited by Paralassa
content

Alright, let me trot out this old comparison, then, since people like you don't seem to "get it":

PvP requires tons of work, and can affect the entire game when classes get tweaked with. But PvP is only actively engaged in by a small percentage of the playerbase (no matter what PvPers want to claim). So let's not work on PvP anymore, right? Why do all that work for a small section of the playerbase?

Space combat requires tons of work, and will only be really used by a small section of the playerbase. So let's not bother to work on that, since it takes a lot of time and effort that could be spent on other things, right?

Hard-mode operations and flashpoints take a lot of work to tinker with and balance, and are only utilized by a small percentage of the playerbase, so let's not worry about that, and don't work on it anymore. That's fair, right?

Etc, etc, etc.

Just because it's not something YOU want doesn't mean it's somehow "discriminatory" (the idea makes me laugh, seriously) for them to work on it. If you don't like it, don't use the content. But trying to DENY it to people? THAT is discriminatory.

How is wanting the same thing you have access to being given "preferential" treatment? I guess you think that women want "preferential" treatment to be paid the same as a man for the same job, eh? :rolleyes:

PvP requires tons of work, and can affect the entire game when classes get tweaked with. But PvP is only actively engaged in by a small percentage of the playerbase (no matter what PvPers want to claim). So let's not work on PvP anymore, right? Why do all that work for a small section of the playerbase?

Space combat requires tons of work, and will only be really used by a small section of the playerbase. So let's not bother to work on that, since it takes a lot of time and effort that could be spent on other things, right?

Hard-mode operations and flashpoints take a lot of work to tinker with and balance, and are only utilized by a small percentage of the playerbase, so let's not worry about that, and don't work on it anymore. That's fair, right?

Etc, etc, etc.

It's even worse than that. You don't even need to look at small groups. The bizarre, strict utilitarian argument being made has only one logical conclusion; that BioWare should identify the one feature or set of features which appeals to the largest possible group of players and spend all their time and resources on that, exclusively. Anything else is 'discrimination'.

Please remember that this thread is only for discussing when and how players would like the implementation of SGRAs to occur. Whether they should be is not germane to the conversation.

Please stop feeding the trolls. :)

Thank you.

Thanks for the reminder. One of these days I will remember it myself!

Thanks for the reminder. One of these days I will remember it myself!

I needed one too. It's human nature to go on the defensive I think. Lol

I have an entire cargo bay slot filled with courting items from diplomacy trade skills... Anyone else holding onto theirs too? Lol

I think my urge to slap idiots in the face is just overpowering sometimes.

I need a little Blizz plushy to distract me. *ponders making one*

Push his belly and he chirps out a variety of his phrases. "Hi boss!" "Boss! You see Blizz? Boss!" "Blizz here to help!" etc.

:jawa_smile:

I have an entire cargo bay slot filled with courting items from diplomacy trade skills... Anyone else holding onto theirs too? Lol

I have a few, but I only have diplomacy on one character, and she's kind of on the backburner right now. I'll have to work on her skill and stock up!

Edited by LyriaFrost

I need a little Blizz plushy to distract me. *ponders making one*

Push his belly and he chirps out a variety of his phrases. "Hi boss!" "Boss! You see Blizz? Boss!" "Blizz here to help!" etc.

:jawa_smile:

... All of my money. Just take it.

I would pay so much to have one of those. :eek:

Nah, I gave mine all to Raina Temple b/c apparently she likes them even from a female.

I also want a Blizz plushie.

Oh, they should add a Blizz plushie as an in-game courting gift.

Oh, they should add a Blizz plushie as an in-game courting gift.

Just make it a non-typed gift that's considered the best gift for every companion. :jawa_smile:

Even cranky old Jorgan would crack a smile and go "Aw, this is awesome. Thanks."

Khem Val says, "I hunger for...wait, a Blizz plushy? Squee!" *hugs it*

And if at some point they let us customize our ships a bit, with little doodads here and there, I'd want a Blizz plushy sitting on the console on the bridge. Or sitting on my pillow on my bed.

I'd pay a lot of money just to see this scene in game.

Tannon (my Jugg): *picks up Blizz plushie* This thing annoys me. I will see it purged. *throws to floor and hears it squeak*

Quinn: As you wish, My Lord.

Tannon: ...I have changed my mind, Quinn. I will keep it. Clearly it is infused with the Dark Side.

Quinn: But, my Lord..

Tannon: Enough, Quinn. This toy is now the ultimate cuteness in the universe. I will keep it, and it will keep me. Besides, you and I have "business" to attend to...

All that silence regarding this topic makes me kinda mad by now. If there won't be any form of update on this topic soon, I might stop my subscription. As it is, the announcement of homosexual relationships was one of the reasons I even came to buy this game.

No matter if they change the existing companions to the typical "everyone's bi"-thing they did in so many other Bioware games or if they create exclusively homosexual companions (which would be even better), just some sort of update would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, is it just me or are some [Flirt] tags missing? My character (whom I made as gay) ended up having sex with a female because of a response that didn't appear in any way as romantic and was not appropriately tagged as [Flirt]. I even deleted my character because of this. :mad: