So if SWTOR runs on the Heroengine then.....

karnyboy

...Where is this?

HeroEngine’s powerful new Environmental Schemes allow developers complete control of their game environment.

Dynamic weather including rain

Environmental effects including lightning

Atmospheric effects including clouds, stars, and moonlight

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Where is this?

HeroEngine’s powerful new Environmental Schemes allow developers complete control of their game environment.

they cut it for artistic effect.

which sounds like a cop out to me.

Those details fell to the draconian art direction behind the game. The designers felt that the only way to convey how worlds should feel is by locking them in very specific color palettes and by making them static.

If I started any art discussion by saying "it looks this way because it's the only way you can convey this message," I'd be laughed out of the gallery.

Edited by Dezzi

So these game developers are basically developing the game from a standard of 10+ years ago.

They are on the right track, but some of these things should of been in since release.

I played Asheron's Call and we had rain and snow for as long as I can remember. So why now in what the 5th generation of MMOG's be without certain "quality of life" aspects of an MMO?

BOGGLES MY MIND!!

that was an artistic decision, not a limitation of the engine.

I hope they 'flip the switch' to turn it on one day.

Give them time. :)

If they wanted to put in all the stuff that we'd love to have in the game, we'd probably still be waiting for the game now. :)

MMO's need to be given time to build up steam, then the improvements start rolling in. Once they're comfortable with how the game runs, then we'll probably start seeing additional features. There's a lot of stuff which needs to be resolved before they start bringing in extra's which could end up causing more headaches for players, even if you've got a system that can run all these fancy features with ease, if they introduce it too quickly then it becomes more of a hindrance than a benefit. :)

that was an artistic decision, not a limitation of the engine.

I hope they 'flip the switch' to turn it on one day.

The question is really whether or not that feature exists in the version of the Hero engine that BioWare purchased, and then modified. The version of Hero Engine that BW purchased to develop on is a good 4 years old.

Just because the hero engine is boasting new features from their more recent versions, doesn't mean that we will ever see it in SWTOR.

Link re: claim that it was an artistic decision please.

It may also have something to do with wanting to make sure servers are running smooth, graphics issues are taken care of etc. prior to implementing it. I can just imagine the QQ-post tsunami over "every time it starts raining my compueter blows up!!!!!" or other such things. IT BEARS REPEATING: IT HAS ONLY BEEN 2 MONTHS.

...Where is this?

Unfortunately...

Bioware spent entirely too much time and resources on the story and forgot or didn't have the time to make the game aspect.

Which is really too bad, because far all of the stories I've played are pretty lack luster. Bountry Hunter's Story is meh. Inquisitor started out good but flopped, and so far the Sith Warrior is starting to go the same way.

Essentially Bioware wrote a book when they should have been making a movie. Unfortunately in this genre the movies are always better than the books.

In hind sight adding the "4th pillar" was a terrible game design move.

Edited by HavenAE

So, basically, this game is cutting edge... for 2008!

Is that what you are saying?

Um, no. I'm saying is that some are expecting 2012 tech. When it would have been impossible to make a game starting in 2008 with 2012 tech unless they happened to have a time machine handy.

Wow that fact would go along with the one that BW has been developing TOR for about 4 years. What a shock! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know it isn't groundbreaking news, but seems like it still needs to be pointed out because quite a few people out there are apparently still under the impression that BioWare can just download a new version of the Hero Engine and viola!!

And it has the dubious title of the most hated Final Fantasy game. Just goes to show outstanding/realistic graphics does not automatically make the game better.

Indeed, but it doesn't prove that good graphics are antithetical to good game-play, does it?

'Good graphics' and 'good' game-play (matter of perspective again for both but...) are not mutually exclusive.

How old is FF13 again?

While good graphics makes a game look awesome, ultimately good game play trumps good graphics.

However, since TOR lacks good gameplay and is palpably a pathetic presentation on assisted movie-making albeit with very cliched and forgettable story-lines, good graphics might have been their savior.

For a game that focuses on story, they do have some of the most forgettable story-lines I have read.

...Where is this?

These types of things that affect the lighting were cut because they would play havoc with the light direction for the cutscenes. Same reason that every Bioware game that includes cutscenes don't have a dynamic night and day, probably (KOTOR 1, Mass Effects, Dragon Ages). It's not impossible to do, (The Witcher manages to have these things) but it offers other problems with it. For instance, some cutscenes in The Witcher were only allowed to happen in certain time of day ranges. This would cause much player outrage if such a thing were done in an MMO.

Indeed, but it doesn't prove that good graphics are antithetical to good game-play, does it?

'Good graphics' and 'good' game-play (matter of perspective again for both but...) are not mutually exclusive.

How old is FF13 again?

I can argue different. Some of the most beloved games in history have by todays standards bad graphics. But yet even now are still fun to play. While good graphics has never made a bad game good.