SW storyline: dark or light?

gavotte

I am about to roll a female SW. Story is important to me (main reason I'm rolling SW is for its raved storyline). Without any big spoilers, which way would be most entertaining, dark or light?

I'm mostly concerned about achieving companion quest(s)/romance(s). Also, I'm assuming that going dark would make the most sense. Do light choices make the story illogical?

Any input (no big spoilers, please) would be helpful. Thanks!

I don't quite know how to give a perfectly accurate comparison, because I've only played Dark Side SW, up until about level 42 or so. But I would highly recommend it. I can't actually tell you for sure that Light Side wouldn't fit, but... When it comes to the Sith and to the Empire, you are a pretty big deal as the SW. You become an even bigger deal later on. And honestly, to be a true model of the power you represent (or come to represent), I really think you have to fit Sith ideals. I don't know how much the storyline changes if you do go Light Side, but I feel like it would almost be an insult to the story (up to the point I've played) if the SW in her position did not idealize Sith ways. You don't have to play as a mindless puppy-kicker (I actually played somewhat of an "honorable" SW, but only in the sense that I showed respect to worthy Imperials and my superiors, and did anything necessary for the Empire. I just made some "smart" decisions from time to time rather than defaulting to the "(Kill)" button in every scenario.), but I definitely advocate for Dark Sided-ness. (And this is coming from the kind of person who had a hard time wanting to play a bad guy at first.) In the case of the SW, it just...fits.

Edit: Dark will also suit you fine when it comes to the romance as well. Quinn likes anything that helps the Empire and in many cases that is a Dark Side option. (Though I did pick a handful of options that were marked as Light Side, but were obviously devious and much better service to the Empire than the mindless kill option.) As long as you're relatively respectful to (non-incompetent) Imperials and serve the Empire as best you can, you're good to go with him. The only thing he seems to have a problem with is killing civilians if there's no point to it, or neglecting to aid the Empire. Vette is the only one who really has a problem with you being "Dark Side." And I don't really know how much you've researched Sith Warrior, but the way you acquire one of your companions in particular felt really cool to me as a Dark Side character, and I don't feel like it would have the same "oomph" as a Light Sided one. You may know who I'm talking about already, but you said no spoilers, so just to be safe...

Edited by Kiralai

Agreeing completely with Kiralai's post, except for...

And I don't really know how much you've researched Sith Warrior, but the way you acquire one of your companions in particular felt really cool to me as a Dark Side character, and I don't feel like it would have the same "oomph" as a Light Sided one. You may know who I'm talking about already, but you said no spoilers, so just to be safe...

If I'm right in assuming who you're talking about, the build-up to this story phase is indeed really awesome. But as a result, for me, I just...can't take this particular companion seriously as a Dark Side character, and I play my Juggernaut pretty close to how you describe you play your Warrior.

On the other hand, from a characterization point of view for my Warrior, I've had some pretty interesting conversations with this companion as a result.

All that said, I think Darkside definitely fits the SW story more. I'm working on a Lightside Marauder, and it doesn't seem to jive as well to me.

Edited by nocte_aeterna

Agreeing completely with Kiralai's post, except for...

If I'm right in assuming who you're talking about, the build-up to this story phase is indeed really awesome. But as a result, for me, I just...can't take this particular companion seriously as a Dark Side character, and I play my Juggernaut pretty close to how you describe you play your Warrior.

On the other hand, from a characterization point of view for my Warrior, I've had some pretty interesting conversations with this companion as a result.

All that said, I think Darkside definitely fits the SW story more. I'm working on a Lightside Marauder, and it doesn't seem to jive as well to me.

Yeah, you assume right, and I agree with you. A more gradual development with regard to the companion's personality would have been better, but the situation as it exists still characterizes the SW himself/herself incredibly well. The current alternative (in my opinion) would make the SW seem wishy-washy, and I'd rather take a hit to the companion's development than to the SW's. Would have been phenomenal had the companion's end been handled with more grace.

Thanks everyone for the input! After reading them and the input from the Sith Warrior section of the forums, I think I'm going to be mainly dark-a racist pureblood sith chick who thinks because of her heritage, all should naturally bow down to her. Oh, and she's gonna think slavery is a great option for those lesser races. Also, she loves the empire, but loves her own achievements more...

I can't wait to start!

I've been playing a light-side Sith Warrior, and I think it's a very interesting tack. Moreover, the Warrior story supports it: it's very entertaining watching Jedi freak out and rival Sith scratch their heads because you're behaving nothing like a Sith should, and that scares them. Some genuinely don't know what to make of you. More than one Jedi gets really angry when you point out that you're a better Jedi than they are.

The switchable companion's story implies that you're trying to reform the Sith from within, but that's not necessarily the case. The light Sith Warrior is not a pushover by any means, and explicitly works for the long-term good of the Empire rather than short-sighted ambition and pride.

I am about to roll a female SW. Story is important to me (main reason I'm rolling SW is for its raved storyline). Without any big spoilers, which way would be most entertaining, dark or light?

I'm mostly concerned about achieving companion quest(s)/romance(s). Also, I'm assuming that going dark would make the most sense. Do light choices make the story illogical?

Any input (no big spoilers, please) would be helpful. Thanks!

If you're playing a female Warrior, your alignment is not a big deal - you'll have only one romance option (the male Warrior has two, one for each Side) no matter what. As long as you keep the Empire's best interests in mind, he'd be happy with you.

As for the overall storyline, I'm playing as a neutral-to-dark character. It's incredibly entertaining because you get to follow your gut and do exactly what you feel. Going full-on Light Side is uncharacteristic for a Sith Warrior, I think, but the complete monster-like Dark Side is unattractive either (to me, at least) because it's overtly brutish and simplistic. I think that a darkish neutral is the way to go - the Sith Warror is the cream of the crop, a prodigy. Aside from your master, nobody in the whole Empire is going to boss you around. You are free to be whatever you want to be. Some situations call for a more evil approach, but with others you can actually damage the Enemy more by allowing them to live (there is one such moment on Balmorra).

Another thing about the neutral alignment that I recently liked... I don't know how to explain it accurately and properly enough without actual spoilers... but at one point you end up facing a Force-apparation of yourself. It began to argue with me, urging me to give myself completely to the Dark Side, while I stood my ground and declared my own free will. The conversation was very good, and I feel it was better than it would have been had I been competely light or dark.