Did they fix the frame-rate issues?

Rodanth_The_Wise

Is it just me, or did they manage to make the game much more stable as far as frame-rate goes? I haven't changed drivers, and I am seeing about a 10fps improvement on average. Also one thing I noticed, my graphics card is running considerably cooler while under full load. Strange. I know they said they mentioned they found an issue involving the sudden drop of fps inside certain areas like caves, etc. But this is all over.

I admit, the ONLY thing I have done differently lately is running fraps in the background because I heard a rumor from multiple people saying for some reason, albeit VERY strange, it was helping fps. Not recording or anything, just having it running and using it to monitor my frame-rate. When I say considerably cooler, I mean, this 6770 used to run at 75c under full load with the fan set to about 70%. Now, same settings, nothing different, 55c-60c full load. Very strange.

Honestly I'm not trolling or anything, the game just feels more smooth to me. I used to average around 45fps or so while questing with everything full max except shadows, now with vsync on, it is pegged at 60fps 99.9% of the time. On the fleet, I'm also seeing an improvement. In highly packed areas, I'm getting 45fps or so now instead of the 25-30 I WAS getting, warzones, same thing. They feel much more playable now, and I'm definitely seeing an improvement. So what gives? Does everyone else notice this too? It honestly can't be this fraps trick thing can it? if I turn vsync off, the highest I've gotten seems to be about 111 where it stays. Can't tell the difference between 60 and 111 so I keep vsync on just because. No reason really.

Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

i7 2600K

8GB DDR-3 1866

XFX 6770 oc'd 900/1300

750w psu

ocz 120g ssd/1.5tb hdd

Ingame settings: 1920x1080. Everything set to high except shadows being off. Shadows have been off since I first installed the game a month ago.

Edited by Rodanth_The_Wise

There was a patch this past week. But I don't think it was mentioned or not that they made any overall improvements like that. Could be a ninja change. Maybe something magical happened in my system, I honestly don't know. I haven't had any serious updates, or changed my drivers at all.

Good for you, Be Good to see post'slike this in Future.

Nothing has changed it's all in your head, i normally get 60 fps everywhere, but once i hit a warzone or ilum it plummits down to 30-40 fps, also opening bags/char pan/skill tree will molest your system down to 0 - 1 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPRj5Lc5pg

^ For effect

So no the game engine is still crud, people still get fps drops everywhere and ilum is still broken.

Is it just me, or did they manage to make the game much more stable as far as frame-rate goes? I haven't changed drivers, and I am seeing about a 10fps improvement on average. Also one thing I noticed, my graphics card is running considerably cooler while under full load. Strange. I know they said they mentioned they found an issue involving the sudden drop of fps inside certain areas like caves, etc. But this is all over.

I admit, the ONLY thing I have done differently lately is running fraps in the background because I heard a rumor from multiple people saying for some reason, albeit VERY strange, it was helping fps. Not recording or anything, just having it running and using it to monitor my frame-rate. When I say considerably cooler, I mean, this 6770 used to run at 75c under full load with the fan set to about 70%. Now, same settings, nothing different, 55c-60c full load. Very strange.

Honestly I'm not trolling or anything, the game just feels more smooth to me. I used to average around 45fps or so while questing with everything full max except shadows, now with vsync on, it is pegged at 60fps 99.9% of the time. On the fleet, I'm also seeing an improvement. In highly packed areas, I'm getting 45fps or so now instead of the 25-30 I WAS getting, warzones, same thing. They feel much more playable now, and I'm definitely seeing an improvement. So what gives? Does everyone else notice this too? It honestly can't be this fraps trick thing can it?

Specs:

i7 2600K

8GB DDR-3 1866

XFX 6770 oc'd 900/1300

750w psu

ocz 120g ssd/1.5tb hdd

Ingame settings: 1920x1080. Everything set to high except shadows being off. Shadows have been off since I first installed the game a month ago.

I haven't really noticed a change lately. I did notice something that made a HUGE difference from me during one of the beta weekends I played. I am running an I7 3.2ghz, 9gb DDR3 1600mhz ram, GTX 260 with 1.8gb ram and a standard SATA hd. I think for the most part, our specs are pretty comparable. I think our video cards benchmark right around the same thing. Anyway, I played two beta weekends with 3gb of ram and had lots of problems in higher texture areas (inside caves, building, etc), where my frame rates would drop to unplayable levels. I was experiencing the same thing on my third beta weekend, and added ram right in the middle of it. Once I put 6 more gb in my system, ALL of that lag was gone. During my 4th weekend, prerelease, and ever since then, NO problems. I always stay at least in the 40s now (and sometimes go way higher), even on highly populated worlds and in high texture zones. I also jacked out my settings all the way and run at 1900X1200. At least in my experience, ram is critical to this game. 3gb just wasn't enough with Windows 7, which makes perfect sense anyway.

Nothing has changed it's all in your head, i normally get 60 fps everywhere, but once i hit a warzone or ilum it plummits down to 30-40 fps, also opening bags/char pan/skill tree will molest your system down to 0 - 1 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPRj5Lc5pg

^ For effect

So no the game engine is still crud, people still get fps drops everywhere and ilum is still broken.

It's not all in my head when I'm monitoring my frame-rate 100% of my time spent in-game. Maybe it's just on my end. Not stuttering anymore. And I've seen roughly a 10fps increase on the fleet and on ilum/warzones. The game still poops the bed when there's 50 sith sorcerer's spamming force lightning on ilum, but that's really the only case I've gotten really unplayable numbers(like 10-12fps or so). I'm honestly not the type of person to make up some fairy tale and then go run to the forums about it. I'm 26, not 6. If I wasn't seeing it first hand, I wouldn't be bothered to make a post.

And as far as my gpu running considerably cooler now when I haven't changed any of my cooling hardware/configurations? I wonder how that's in my head lol.

Like I said earlier, the ONLY thing I have done differently from last week to now, when I've been playing, is read an old forum post, on here and swtor reddit of a ton of people claiming that running Fraps in the background while playing helped with their performance in-game. It made ZERO sense, but seeing as how I have a licensed copy of fraps, I figured why not. I always have the in-game fps counter on anyway, and with fraps it's that much easier to see. I didn't see one post of someone saying "Doesn't work". They could of been there, but I didn't look hard enough. All the posts i saw were "I don't believe this, but it works for me...what the hell?" and that's my exact reaction right now. I'm finding a hard time believing that running a 3rd party program in the background could increase my average fps by around 10.

Edited by Rodanth_The_Wise

It's not all in my head when I'm monitoring my frame-rate 100% of my time spent in-game. Maybe it's just on my end. Not stuttering anymore. And I've seen roughly a 10fps increase on the fleet and on ilum/warzones. The game still poops the bed when there's 50 sith sorcerer's spamming force lightning on ilum, but that's really the only case I've gotten really unplayable numbers(like 10-12fps or so). I'm honestly not the type of person to make up some fairy tale and then go run to the forums about it. I'm 26, not 6. If I wasn't seeing it first hand, I wouldn't be bothered to make a post.

And as far as my gpu running considerably cooler now when I haven't changed any of my cooling hardware/configurations? I wonder how that's in my head lol.

Well what can i say, perhaps for you something has changed, but for me and probably the rest of the players jack has changed in regards to performance.

I do however agree that I get the bag/skill book opening thing, where if you spam it fast enough the system bogs down to literal frame-by-frame. Pretty bad, but fortunately(not defending them or the bug) I don't intentionally do things I normally wouldn't just to claim bad fps/horrid engine. Again, not saying it SHOULD be like that. Just that I don't do that. If you open your bag up, there's a split second stutter. Literally happens as fast as the snap of a finger. I don't believe it does it when you close the screen. Just opening it or the skill book. Who goes around opening and closing there bags in rapid succession? Heh.

Well Got on server, Fleet has 33 peeps on, So was smooth, 111

Then went Too Ilum 3 peeps ,111 Smooth, Looking for create's while waiting for que.zzzzzzz

30 mins later first game Void star, Smooth ish 111 fps 2 50 fps.

Back to ilum 80 fps now

Another Voidstar. Not smooth now, 111fps too 30 fps. enjoy the match tho.

End of match Loading screen, got funny looking loading screen,then Black screen crash, (HARD RESET).

Reformatted, 5 times since game came out, tried all nividia driver's (beta) ect. Direct x all update's blah blah.

And Same result's. I Do like PVP, But The game is so dam buggy, I dont wont to leave, but left with no choice.