"It's not TOR, you're just tired of MMOs."

Zeichen

Fair points OP, you might be right. However, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic for GW2. It looks great and some of their innovations will be nice, but it will be the same gear grind treadmill that typifies so many MMOs nowadays, only without the depth.

I agree.

The only thing going for GW2 is the same thing that SWTOR had going for it: anticipation and self-induced community hype in conjuction with vomiting all over the status quo. Once it launches, it becomes the status quo and the cycle will repeat itself again.

This is the nature of today's MMO player base for the most part. Sure, we have some who have played for many years who long for the "good ole days" but the majority are MMO experience clones bred by years of playing WoW. They hate WoW and think every new game is their savior, then they get severely disappointed and attack their savior.

The community in the genre needs a good purging. Which means a collapse of the genre, which hurts initially but is healthy in the long run. It's happened with every tech based entertainment fad in the last two generations, begining way back with the arcade video game boom/bust cycle.

This genre is due for a severe busting. Those that were in the genre for the true enjoyment of adventure and exploring will stay, the rest will head on over to some incarnation of MMOs on Facebook. It will be a smaller market, no more meaningful just more appreciated for what it is.

I think true innovation lies with TSW, but it wont be a game that appeals to most of todays MMO player base.

The rank and file in the community talk a good story about "innovation" being the salvation for the genre, but it's just another savior cycle, as is The Secret World.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone who hates this game, why are even here? Shouldn't have quit and moved on to something else? Your 30-day of free play is up yet your continue to resub for something you hate? Does that make sense to anyone?

Because we were promised fixes and changes. A lot like the Obummer administration. Everyone had these great high hopes and were in absolute love, then the realization sets in that it's all garbage and not true.

Over and over, when people voice complaints about TOR on these forums, I see this reaction. They believe that grinding, repetitive questing, and holy trinity combat are required for a game to be considered an MMO. I suppose it's because WoW has grown so huge that it redefined the concept of "MMO" in the minds of those who played it. For many of those players, WoW was their first experience in the genre, and they lack any sense of history or awareness of what came before.

Take it from someone who's been playing these games since the very beginning (when everything was in text), none of this stuff that you guys seem to think defines an MMO is actually required at all. Levels, XP, classes, skills, quests, crafting, travel... it can all be implemented in a zillion different ways, or not at all. There are no limits except what a designer chooses (which is not to say that every combination is equally viable).

However, since WoW's success we've been stuck with playing slightly different incarnations of the same tired design descended from EQ and DikuMuds. TOR is only the latest of these (hopefully the last, if it fails) -- and not even a particularly good one.

I won't go into the specific reasons why TOR is thoroughly mediocre -- it's all been said before. I'm just tired of seeing its design failures enshrined as standard features of an MMO by people who have no clue what they're talking about.

Needless to say, my sub is canceled. And if you want to see this genre grow and develop, I'd recommend giving your money to game studios willing to push the design envelope. I'm looking hopefully toward Guild Wars 2, but right now it seems like the renaissance of MMOs remains far in the past.

And yet you purchased and subbed to this game thinking, what? That it was going to be different? When I bought this game, I knew exactly what it was, and have not been disappointed...this from a 12 year MMO vet.

And yet you purchased and subbed to this game thinking, what? That it was going to be different? When I bought this game, I knew exactly what it was, and have not been disappointed...this from a 12 year MMO vet.

You thought the PvP would be this bad?

I honestly didn't, I though Bioware having so many Mythic Devs and having ran Warhammer online for the last 20 months would have made a difference.

I can't understand why it hasn't. :(

Cept when you order food, they don't force you to order a month's worth in advance. They also don't expect you to pay triple the amount the first month because it costs them lots of money to cook that months worth of food.

But here some of us are, with a month of food sitting in our fridge. It's still food, albeit very poorly made, refrozen, reheated crap. So we complain because we really would have like food made by this particular brand to have been delicious.

Except you didn't order a month, you bought a game and got a 30-days to try it for not cost except the intial purchase. If I buy a game (Not a MMO) that I think sucks after a week I simply stop playing it. I don't drag it out until I beat it or head to the games forums to complain daily about it, I just quit.

You thought the PvP would be this bad?

I honestly didn't, I though Bioware having so many Mythic Devs and having ran Warhammer online for the last 20 months would have made a difference.

I can't understand why it hasn't. :(

I don't PvP in RPGs. It's ALWAYS horrid. I've never liked it. So no..I didn't buy SWTOR for the PvP.

Except you didn't order a month, you bought a game and got a 30-days to try it for not cost except the intial purchase. If I buy a game (Not a MMO) that I think sucks after a week I simply stop playing it. I don't drag it out until I beat it or head to the games forums to complain daily about it, I just quit.

there is so much fail going on with this post..... sooo much fail

You really don't understand how little EA had a hand on creating this game aside from some financial support, but if you would like to RAGE QUIT QQ all over the forum and Blacklist EA from your gaming repertoire by all means be illogical and ignorant.

you're the one who is going to miss out on some really good EA games that have absolutely nothing to do with BioWare, LucasArts, MMOs, or Star Wars

You have no idea if EA told them to make it like wow to steal the casuals or not. I'm betting biowares hand was forced into making this carbon copy of wow so EA could claim the most mmo subs in history title that blizzard/activision have.

I guarantee you bioware was told exactly how to make this game by their masters.. and if they weren't then its on them.. Either way, nothing I've seen with the EA logo on it has made me wet, all they do is go around and buy up smaller studios for the I.P's and run them into the ground.

The only MMO that will climb out of this funk, will be the one that doesn't try to copy WOW's success. WOW capitalized on the newness of a genre. It's success was due entirely on bringing people who had never played MMOs to the virtual world... A large portion of experienced MMO players really didn't like WOW, most played due to the fact that the community blew up and there were insane amounts of players which makes a "grouping" genre a lot more fun than, say.. a "single player mmo... hint hint".

When a company can find the fine balance between the awesome amount of freedom of a sandbox SWG style game with the ease of use of WOW, that will be a true game changer! (play on words there, lol)

I for one am not tired of MMOs, i am tired of the crap that is passed off as MMOs! :mad:

To everyone who hates this game, why are even here? Shouldn't have quit and moved on to something else? Your 30-day of free play is up yet your continue to resub for something you hate? Does that make sense to anyone?

I'm wondering the same thing. It's alright though, once Tera Online and GW2 release, they'll move to those forums and start their doomsday threads.

If anyone reading this thread is actually concerned about this game, WoW forums are polluted with garbage like this also. People just like to complain and waste their life away doing something they hate, I don't understand these kind of people.

Its ok, PvE players will go play Diablo III in a few months and PvP players will go play Guild Wars 2.

Swtor had its chance, 300million and 4+ years and failed.

It was fun while it lasted (when it worked), but if it didn't have lightsabers and Star Wars inbuilt fanclub (lets face it, we all have a hardon for chewie, raaaaaugh!) it would have failed even harder.

Competative PvE = failed

Competative PvP = failed

All thats left is casual gaming and you dont need 300million to provide that.

Would have been better as JK3 single player and at least this way we wouldn't have had to deal with Ilum, by far the worst open world pvp zone in the history of MMO's.

Cya in Tristram ppl.

MMOs were better before they were mainstream, the developers were not scared of experimenting and trying new things.

But now they are full of whiny kids who want everything simple and easy, which is why wow is so bad now.

Edited by NasherUK

You really don't understand how little EA had a hand on creating this game aside from some financial support, but if you would like to RAGE QUIT QQ all over the forum and Blacklist EA from your gaming repertoire by all means be illogical and ignorant.

you're the one who is going to miss out on some really good EA games that have absolutely nothing to do with BioWare, LucasArts, MMOs, or Star Wars

I'm afraid that you are mistaken.

There's a bit more to the story than just artistic freedom with the development.

EA never let BW evolve their dev teams, and pushed for release after release contrary Blizzard who had all the time in the world to release their games, thus refining their dev team and mature for a MMO.

Blizzard have battle.net which is an excellent social factor and great fanbase, BW doesn't have any such thing, and EA doesn't care about it, thus the fanbase are already neglected there.

Oh I'm not trolling and this is what I actually do. I dislike someone or something I wash my hands of it and move on. Why waste my time on something that I don't care for in the first place, no need for prolonged agony. We do agree that IQ's are dropping with the internet gen, just glad I"m on the other end of the common sense spectrum. So enjoy what ever it is your enjoy doing. I for one am leaving SWTOR forums because if people here think "This game sucks" counts as good feedback then the world is doomed. Edited by Trineda
removed quote

Unfortunately Bioware chose to imitate their business model on the only powerhouse game out there, which is/was WoW. Despite all the ideas and lessons learned that were implemented, Bioware either chose to or could not implement them. Unfortunately what Bioware/EA/LucusArts didn't count on was that even a great IP like Star Wars can suffer from hamster wheel burnout. And many of us are burned out on this model after years of WoW and other failed MMO hype attempts. Alot of us pinned our next gen hopes on SWTOR, and it's crushing to see what the development staff came up with. Yeah, it had potential, but the game doesn't allow for customization, creativity, or immersion into the Star Wars universe. I'm confined to a game on rails with limited choices, limited functionality, and another day of running laps around Ironforge... I mean the Fleet Space Station while waiting for queues to pop.

Cept when you order food, they don't force you to order a month's worth in advance. They also don't expect you to pay triple the amount the first month because it costs them lots of money to cook that months worth of food.

But here some of us are, with a month of food sitting in our fridge. It's still food, albeit very poorly made, refrozen, reheated crap. So we complain because we really would have like food made by this particular brand to have been delicious.

Also because most food companies will fix your order if its not to your liking or actually give your money back so as to hope you would give it another chance and that it was a one time mistake.

I'm afraid that you are mistaken.

There's a bit more to the story than just artistic freedom with the development.

EA never let BW evolve their dev teams, and pushed for release after release contrary Blizzard who had all the time in the world to release their games, thus refining their dev team and mature for a MMO.

Blizzard have battle.net which is an excellent social factor and great fanbase, BW doesn't have any such thing, and EA doesn't care about it, thus the fanbase are already neglected there.

Battle.net has been around for over 10 years. This is not only BW's first MMORPG, it's their first multiplayer game. They have done a very good job considering they had almost no experience at it and their launch was the best ever for an MMO.

Besides I'd rather have EA running things Activision, who are FAR worse. Blizzard's next MMO "Titan" is going to be nothing more than what wow is now. Activision won't let them make it like how wow used to be, because they will scare of a lot of their players, who are casuals who that everything to be easy.

Edited by NasherUK

Battle.net has been around for over 10 years. This is not only BW's first MMORPG, it's their first multiplayer game. They have done a very good job considering they had almost no experience at it and their launch was the best ever for an MMO.

Besides I'd rather have EA running things Activision, who are FAR worse.

Umm, bioware-MYTHIC.. Mythic has a failed mmo out...