"It's not TOR, you're just tired of MMOs."

Zeichen

Over and over, when people voice complaints about TOR on these forums, I see this reaction. They believe that grinding, repetitive questing, and holy trinity combat are required for a game to be considered an MMO. I suppose it's because WoW has grown so huge that it redefined the concept of "MMO" in the minds of those who played it. For many of those players, WoW was their first experience in the genre, and they lack any sense of history or awareness of what came before.

Take it from someone who's been playing these games since the very beginning (when everything was in text), none of this stuff that you guys seem to think defines an MMO is actually required at all. Levels, XP, classes, skills, quests, crafting, travel... it can all be implemented in a zillion different ways, or not at all. There are no limits except what a designer chooses (which is not to say that every combination is equally viable).

However, since WoW's success we've been stuck with playing slightly different incarnations of the same tired design descended from EQ and DikuMuds. TOR is only the latest of these (hopefully the last, if it fails) -- and not even a particularly good one.

I won't go into the specific reasons why TOR is thoroughly mediocre -- it's all been said before. I'm just tired of seeing its design failures enshrined as standard features of an MMO by people who have no clue what they're talking about.

Needless to say, my sub is canceled. And if you want to see this genre grow and develop, I'd recommend giving your money to game studios willing to push the design envelope. I'm looking hopefully toward Guild Wars 2, but right now it seems like the renaissance of MMOs remains far in the past.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly its because they are catering to larger demographics(the quest for more money), thus destroying the mechanics that made the genre popular in the first place.

it's all downhill from here

and no I'm not bitter, I'm a realist

Edited by SkateOnTrees

sadly its because they are catering to larger demographics(the quest for more money), thus destroying the mechanics that made the genre popular in the first place.

Too true. You see it everywhere now: movies, music, games, all about the *********** money not the passion to make something awesome. EA is the poster boy for this kind of behavior. Money money money **** the product, **** the studio that made it just give us more.

Fair points OP, you might be right. However, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic for GW2. It looks great and some of their innovations will be nice, but it will be the same gear grind treadmill that typifies so many MMOs nowadays, only without the depth.

I think true innovation lies with TSW, but it wont be a game that appeals to most of todays MMO player base.

To everyone who hates this game, why are even here? Shouldn't have quit and moved on to something else? Your 30-day of free play is up yet your continue to resub for something you hate? Does that make sense to anyone?

uhh no my time isn't up yet. Not everyone purchased this game before or on the 20th.

Edited by DigitalDreamz

More and more posts are nothing more than people whining about people that whine about the game.

If YOU stop making posts like this, then the forums wouldnt be filled with whines, cause they dont whine more than you do about whines.

Now excuse me, I need some cheese to go along with this whine I made.

However, since WoW's success we've been stuck with playing slightly different incarnations of the same tired design descended from EQ and DikuMuds.

It really goes back even further than that -- essentially to all attempts to port pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons (with its levels and skills) to a highly inhuman format: the computer. Attempts to break from that creates a problem: most players now expect it. To completely break with what your base expects on an undertaking this expensive is career suicide in a large company.

Over and over, when people voice complaints about TOR on these forums, I see this reaction. They believe that grinding, repetitive questing, and holy trinity combat are required for a game to be considered an MMO. I suppose it's because WoW has grown so huge that it redefined the concept of "MMO" in the minds of those who played it. For many of those players, WoW was their first experience in the genre, and they lack any sense of history or awareness of what came before.

Take it from someone who's been playing these games since the very beginning (when everything was in text), none of this stuff that you guys seem to think defines an MMO is actually required at all. Levels, XP, classes, skills, quests, crafting, travel... it can all be implemented in a zillion different ways, or not at all. There are no limits except what a designer chooses (which is not to say that every combination is equally viable).

However, since WoW's success we've been stuck with playing slightly different incarnations of the same tired design descended from EQ and DikuMuds. TOR is only the latest of these (hopefully the last, if it fails) -- and not even a particularly good one.

I won't go into the specific reasons why TOR is thoroughly mediocre -- it's all been said before. I'm just tired of seeing its design failures enshrined as standard features of an MMO by people who have no clue what they're talking about.

Needless to say, my sub is canceled. And if you want to see this genre grow and develop, I'd recommend giving your money to game studios willing to push the design envelope. I'm looking hopefully toward Guild Wars 2, but right now it seems like the renaissance of MMOs remains far in the past.

I think you are correct. And it really sucks that such a IP like SW was made into this hamster wheel MMO game. We won't see another SW MMO for a long time to come because this one is already in existence. A great IP gone to waste.

GW2 will take that next step in the evolution of MMO's and there's another one coming out soon being made by Blizzard, supposed to be the next gen MMO.

No really, I'm really trying to understand this. I have never seen find this kinda of behavior outside the internet. It's really obvious in MMO's more than anything but it's just odd to me. I have never fone to a food place I hate, order a meal, and then complain to the staff that it sucks while I eat it.

I think the reason we see so many people complain, moan or whatever you want to call it is that this game was a massive opportunity to bring another great game out and to most they failed and as a result people are angry at what this game could have been, should have been.

People that say "Don't like it, Don't play it", trouble is play what?

Play WoW?

Play Aion?

Play Warhammer?

There is nothing even decent out to play any more and I am guessing a lot of people will still play not because its a great game but because it is the best of a pile of **** MMO's out atm.

No really, I'm really trying to understand this. I have never seen find this kinda of behavior outside the internet. It's really obvious in MMO's more than anything but it's just odd to me. I have never fone to a food place I hate, order a meal, and then complain to the staff that it sucks while I eat it.

Cept when you order food, they don't force you to order a month's worth in advance. They also don't expect you to pay triple the amount the first month because it costs them lots of money to cook that months worth of food.

But here some of us are, with a month of food sitting in our fridge. It's still food, albeit very poorly made, refrozen, reheated crap. So we complain because we really would have like food made by this particular brand to have been delicious.

I think you are correct. And it really sucks that such a IP like SW was made into this hamster wheel MMO game. We won't see another SW MMO for a long time to come because this one is already in existence. A great IP gone to waste.

GW2 will take that next step in the evolution of MMO's and there's another one coming out soon being made by Blizzard, supposed to be the next gen MMO.

GW2 seems like it might become something new its to be seen, Tera online seems like another Aion scantily clad gear ( the game seems like its made for pedophiles a.k.a Popori females), and Archeage looks like they are trying to innovate ,but that game is still at-least 2 years out from a western release!

If you were a realistic you would understand that niche markets no longer have their place in a global economy. Big brands want mass market saturation and that will never happen by reverting to the "mechanics that made the genre popular in the first place".

I agree with your original assessment that the holy trinity has had it's day, many players want innovation and new concept ideas. There are a few in Tor but unfortunately not enough to distinguish the game apart from the rest of the rpgmmo's of the last 15 years.

Tired of MMOs, NO. Tired of rep grinds, Yes. That's why I quit WoW and will never go back.

I loved Warhammer (great PVP), lot's of people did. We felt abandoned, so we abandoned the game.

SWTOR is a great game, unforunately there are many fundamental MMO aspects missing from the game. I could have easily loved this game, but as it is, it's more of a love/hate relationship.

GW2 seems like it might become something new its to be seen, Tera online seems like another Aion scantily clad gear ( the game seems like its made for pedophiles a.k.a Popori females), and Archeage looks like they are trying to innovate ,but that game is still at-least 2 years out from a western release!

Archage will be the first MMO that will actually let players explore and create a world worth building. I only wish they could have had had 200 million to spend on a great concept that is poised to take over the MMO world and have something truly for everyone. TERA will be fun for a month or two but from what CbTesters are saying its roughly the same content as when it launched in Korea which caused its downfall there. At least they have actually High-Res textures and a development team that understand their players. And GW2 and TSW will pretty much own the rest of the year if they can launch before the end of Q2. Sad times for SWTOR because Bioware could have had it all if they had waited or made a better product with a better engine.

If you were a realistic you would understand that niche markets no longer have their place in a global economy. Big brands want mass market saturation and that will never happen by reverting to the "mechanics that made the genre popular in the first place".

I agree with your original assessment that the holy trinity has had it's day, many players want innovation and new concept ideas. There are a few in Tor but unfortunately not enough to distinguish the game apart from the rest of the rpgmmo's of the last 15 years.

did you mean to respond to my post?

because i'm utterly confused right now

Great post. I think thats why so many people are pissed off right now and enraged at what this game became. Some of us 2-3 years ago told them not to do a wow hamster wheel and we were repeatedly banned for trolling on the forums and met with fierce bioware fanboyism. My old forum account (vaalix) was banned 10-15 times.. so much I made a new account for fear those bans would carry over to a live game and I didn't wanna risk a perma ban lol..

To be perfectly honest, we need this game to fail and fast. We need trion to perhaps take over the Star Wars I.P because bioware has its head straight up EA's *** and I have no faith they have the Midas touch.

I feel bad for bioware though. Their name and reputation is shot to crap now, and EA will never, ever see a dime for me.. So if you are the owner of a gaming company and perhaps thinking of selling your soul to EA, think twice cause I'm not supporting them ever again on anything they fund, make or publish.

Great post. I think thats why so many people are pissed off right now and enraged at what this game became. Some of us 2-3 years ago told them not to do a wow hamster wheel and we were repeatedly banned for trolling on the forums and met with fierce bioware fanboyism. My old forum account (vaalix) was banned 10-15 times.. so much I made a new account for fear those bans would carry over to a live game and I didn't wanna risk a perma ban lol..

To be perfectly honest, we need this game to fail and fast. We need trion to perhaps take over the Star Wars I.P because bioware has its head straight up EA's *** and I have no faith they have the Midas touch.

I feel bad for bioware though. Their name and reputation is shot to crap now, and EA will never, ever see a dime for me.. So if you are the owner of a gaming company and perhaps thinking of selling your soul to EA, think twice cause I'm not supporting them ever again on anything they fund, make or publish.

You really don't understand how little EA had a hand on creating this game aside from some financial support, but if you would like to RAGE QUIT QQ all over the forum and Blacklist EA from your gaming repertoire by all means be illogical and ignorant.

you're the one who is going to miss out on some really good EA games that have absolutely nothing to do with BioWare, LucasArts, MMOs, or Star Wars

Edited by SkateOnTrees