What if you could keep track of Datacrons, Lore, Beasts etc?

Brambline

It's been a week since I last logged on due to work hurries. And I find my character sitting next to a datacron. "Oh yeah" I think to myself. "That's right, I was hunting datacrons... but I can't for the life of me remember which ones I completeled. Crap."

The fact that I had simultaneously been hunting datacrons with my alt on the other faction, certainly did not help!

So I whipped out ye olde Codex and expanded the view, then started mouseovering the progress bars hoping to find some information on which ones had been completed. Alas, the sections gave no tooltip what so ever. And upon closer inspection I realize that the "sections" actually have nothing to do with how many ticks are left at all. So no wonder.

This bothered me to the point of actually spending 5 hours of my Saturday to take screenshots and create improvent suggestions on how these progress bars should work in my opinion.

Please have a look and respond to this thread if you think it would be an important improvement to be able to keep track of the various discovered things in the game!

http://andrea.net/pics/codex.jpg

PS: As visually polished and beautiful as the user interface is in SWTOR, (props to the UI graphic designers btw!), whoever was the UI designer (usually a different person than who makes it look pretty) leaves much to be desired. It could be though, that the UI designer(s) had their hands tied due to technical issues that the programmers couldn't work around. I do hope though that the usability and functionality of the user interfaces sees some improvements in the future.

Edited by Brambline

johnhughthom: Yes I see the list of stories for each of these. However there is no "Found" indicator nor any other way for me to check in-game which ones I have completed. The game should not force people to seek this information outside of the game. I've been using SWTOR spy's walkthroughs on the particularly hard datacrons, however what if such a site as SWTOR spy did not exist in the first place? Or any other site for that matter. We just wouldn't know.

And this is not just a problem with Datacrons but all of the "discoverables".

Edited by Brambline

Well this issue is not only about datacrons, it's about everything you would be able to track mousing over those progress bars. Just as hard to keep track of what beasties you've found etc. I think I'd better modify the title of the post. Edited by Brambline

johnhughthom: Yes I see the list of stories for each of these. However there is no "Found" indicator nor any other way for me to check in-game which ones I have completed. The game should not force people to seek this information outside of the game. I've been using SWTOR spy's walkthroughs on the particularly hard datacrons, however what if such a site as SWTOR spy did not exist in the first place? Or any other site for that matter. We just wouldn't know.

And this is not just a problem with Datacrons but all of the "discoverables".

If you have no Codex entry for a datacron then you have not found that datacron. How do you know if your missing one, there would be a break in the numbering sequence. If SWTOR spy did not exist someone would create a site like it.

It's been a week since I last logged on due to work hurries. And I find my character sitting next to a datacron. "Oh yeah" I think to myself. "That's right, I was hunting datacrons... but I can't for the life of me remember which ones I completeled. Crap."

The fact that I had simultaneously been hunting datacrons with my alt on the other faction, certainly did not help!

So I whipped out ye olde Codex and expanded the view, then started mouseovering the progress bars hoping to find some information on which ones had been completed. Alas, the sections gave no tooltip what so ever. And upon closer inspection I realize that the "sections" actually have nothing to do with how many ticks are left at all. So no wonder.

This bothered me to the point of actually spending 5 hours of my Saturday to take screenshots and create improvent suggestions on how these progress bars should work in my opinion.

Please have a look and respond to this thread if you think it would be an important improvement to be able to keep track of the various discovered things in the game!

http://andrea.net/pics/codex.jpg

PS: As visually polished and beautiful as the user interface is in SWTOR, (props to the UI graphic designers btw!), whoever was the UI designer (usually a different person than who makes it look pretty) leaves much to be desired. It could be though, that the UI designer(s) had their hands tied due to technical issues that the programmers couldn't work around. I do hope though that the usability and functionality of the user interfaces sees some improvements in the future.

Go to the planet listing and it tells you how many are on the planet and how many you have gotten.

Not perfect but it certainly narrows it down for you.

Just as hard to keep track of what beasties you've found etc.

I'm not sure it's even working correctly. I have two level 50s (one Rep and one Imp) and the best one has 17 of 68 beast discovered. Seriously? I slaughtered everything in my path on the way to 50 and I've only come across (killed) 17 different kinds? Where the F are the other 50 beasts hiding?

I agree with this, something does need to be put in to keep track of which datacrons you have collected and on which planet etc... a log would be good enough. But for now you can use pen and a bit of paper... or notepad?

Pen + Paper = So Retro, right?