Newbie with a few questions

Fluric

Hello everyone :)

Been playing for almost 6 days now, and really enjoying it. I rolled a Jedi Shadow off the bat for lulz. I didn't want to be the typical Knight that everyone would go right away (**** lightsaebur tiem im a jedai liek da movies, etc).

Looked at each class on both sides, and picked a Jedi Consular, unsure if I was going to go Tank or Healer. I have quite a bit of experience with MMO's but not much in terms of their respective end game content. Now, I normally run the following classes if available: Necromancer or equivalent, or a hunter. Now, I almost went with Bounty Hunter first, but I felt like trying something new, while still getting a lightsaber lol. I'm now level 19 at the time of this post, and have moved towards the tanking role vs DPS rogue like role.

I just have a few newb questions: *Note that I've read through most of the guide stickied at the top, hense this post in case I missed something / have questions that are not answered there*

1) Is there any build that represents an offtank like role? Being tough yet still able to dish out damage at the same time?

2) If 2 is a basic no (Or too complicated for a SWTOR beginner), then which of the 2 more popular builds (31/0/10) + (23/0/18) builds is more suited for PvE? Advantages and disadvantages of both? Note I'm a straight PvE Person. PvP I've never been good at with MMO's for some reason.

3) At what level should I feel Tanky at, or at least start filling the role, and how should I go about doing it? I've gone through almost every heroic in the past few levels with a Sage focused on me while I spam DoT skills and Mind Control, and have not died once. Even on the bosses focusing me the whole time. Got a comment yesterday on how I didn't need as much healing as some Knights.

Again, sorry if some questions have been answered elsewhere, but I feel mine are either too specific to search for or too broad to find a straight answer.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for all tips and advice :)

1) Offtank ... maybe a Kinetic heavy spec (23+) with Combat Technique, but offensive gear, with a focus instead of shield

2) 23/0/18 was pre-patch, the insta-DoT doesn't work anymore in tank stance. Nowadays it would be 24/0/17, but this is a utility spec for PvP, I would not recommend it for PvE.

3) First major buff for PvE tanking is Kinetic ward, which you could get at Lvl20. But for levelling I would recommend going Balance until Upheaval first, and then whatever you want.

Shadows get Techniques which are roughly equivalent to tanking stances or paladin seal buffs from World of Warcraft.

Combat Technique is for tanking, as it increases mitigation and provides a small self-heal on hit component. It also generates additional threat. You could in theory tank in a pinch with this technique up, regardless of spec, and thereby pull off a bit of a off-tank role.

I don't think there is any need for an "off-tank" in SWTOR pve, though. Any Ops group that needs more than just one tank will want a dedicated tank in that role.

Alright, so offtanking is out of the question. Was just curious :)

Even so, it seems like most Shadow Tanks that I've read about still have decent enough damage output for the most part. Although others say they feel the play style is too slow. Is 31/0/10 the only build available for PvP? I guess it may be too soon to ask. Gotta wait for some awesome experts to try some out for us. FOR SCIENCE.

3) First major buff for PvE tanking is Kinetic ward, which you could get at Lvl20. But for levelling I would recommend going Balance until Upheaval first, and then whatever you want.

So essentially put points into Balance first until upheaval is maxed, then go into Kinetic from there?

Offtank isn't an exact science but what several of my guildies and I do is we are 31/0/10, gearing with mostly dps gear, and a focus. What this allows us to be is basically Tanky DPS. From there you can be a second tank (or even main tank) in PvE by just putting on your shield, using Kenetic Ward, and perhaps swapping a few items out for more defensive items. This allows for a lot of flexibilty transitioning from PvP to PvE and back again. Edited by Sacull

Offtank isn't an exact science but what several of my guildies and I do is we are 31/0/10, gearing with mostly dps gear, and a focus. What this allows us to be is basically Tanky DPS. From there you can be a second tank (or even main tank) in PvE by just putting on your shield, using Kenetic Ward, and perhaps swapping a few items out for more defensive items. This allows for a lot of flexibilty transitioning from PvP to PvE and back again.

So essentially, 31/0/10 is the only viable build in PvE at this time, but there are different ways it could be played? Differences in the Technique uses, skills, even equipment used.

So essentially put points into Balance first until upheaval is maxed, then go into Kinetic from there?

I would *not* do this, the main reason being that you're delaying all of the awesome higher tier Kinetic talents just to get some relatively minor offensive benefits (Upheaval is nice, but it's not worth delaying Slow Time and Harnessed Shadows by 8 levels). Your best bet is to just go straight up the Kinetic tree until you finish it out and then branch out to Balance: Upheaval without Particle Acceleration isn't worth it and, once you get Particle Acceleration, you've got the next 4 tiers of amazing talents (One with the Force, Statis and Bombardment, Harnessed Shadows, Slow Time). The only "meh" tier within Kinetic is the second, but the third is completely worth it.

In short, don't do Balance then Kinetic as a Kinetic tank. Do your primary skill tree first and your secondary tree second. The deep talents are simply too awesome to delay getting them.