Surge/Crit Nerf Made me Quit

iraqcombatvet

The general theme of MMOs is a love hate with RNG.

RNG time sinks = Devs lovem, players hate'm

RNG Crits = Some players love'm, Devs lose hair by the handful.

Its probably one of the most simple says of making a stat/damage random, however it seems to always get dialed back as players find either a good way to stack it or use it effectivly.

As a Jedi Shadow (balance) crit and critting Dots are my bread and butter. However there are plenty of other issues i see beside the crit nerf that you have seen and likely will see in most any MMO.

its not like it doesnt affect every class.. oh wait..

Agreed, though some builds with heavy crit dependant talents can suffer more then others, but thats the nature of the beast, your get lucky some times and crit like a mad man and it will be awesome, and other times it will seem like for ever since somthing proc'ed

However even post crit/surge rebalance/nerf/wet noodleing, it still seems fine to me

That's the heart of the problem with current MMOs.... well people in general. Virtually ever nerf will be met with ZOMG I'M QUITTING CAUSE NOW I HAVE TO RETHINK MY CLASS/STRATEGY/I'M NO LONGER GOD MODE. Oh... and Devs know this, thats why they very very carefully weight pros/cons of nerfs. Someone that is willing to quit over a minor change that leveled the playing field (some classes hurt more... all suffered though)... is going to quit regardless of the specifics. They are a "when" not an "if"

Basically they feel that the devs wronged them, and will take their money elsewhere until they find a game that doesn't "**** on them" Its 100% analogy with the person that breaks off a relationship on the very first fight/the magic is gone. Its basically a 100% lack of maturity on their part.

its a catch 22 though... try making an MMO that never nerfs ANYTHING. Their will be no one playing that game anyway. As soon as one class/spec/anything becomes OP, and is never nerfed.... everyone will either quit or roll one of those.

That's the heart of the problem with current MMOs.... well people in general. Virtually ever nerf will be met with ZOMG I'M QUITTING CAUSE NOW I HAVE TO RETHINK MY CLASS/STRATEGY/I'M NO LONGER GOD MODE. Oh... and Devs know this, thats why they very very carefully weight pros/cons of nerfs. Someone that is willing to quit over a minor change that leveled the playing field (some classes hurt more... all suffered though)... is going to quit regardless of the specifics. They are a "when" not an "if"

Basically they feel that the devs wronged them, and will take their money elsewhere until they find a game that doesn't "**** on them" Its 100% analogy with the person that breaks off a relationship on the very first fight/the magic is gone. Its basically a 100% lack of maturity on their part.

its a catch 22 though... try making an MMO that never nerfs ANYTHING. Their will be no one playing that game anyway. As soon as one class/spec/anything becomes OP, and is never nerfed.... everyone will either quit or roll one of those.

You hit the nail on the head.

I noticed the nerf. I lost about 40 points of damage off my crits. I don't feel 40 points is enough to nerdquit over however. And I should mention that ALL my gear was crit/surge so I wasn't just dabbling in it.

Same here, my dps barely went down (Sith Sorc) and I'm in entire Surge/Crit gear.

To OP: If you studied the stats of the game (like Bioware) does, you'd realize the surge curve-cap was OP and HAD to be nerfed. The Surge curve-cap now matches the Crit and Alacrity, as it should of at launch. They made a great fix, and gave me more of a reason to appreciate other stats.

• 1 year later...
I dont have a surge prob on pts but my vg dps suffered a huge crit nerf. My crit on live for tech is 35-37percent sorry no symbol on my phone. Now on pts I have just 22-25percent crit rarely get over 5k crits while other classes getting 6-7k crits. Alacrity means crap to assault spec sure the ammo regen and skill speed nice id rather my crit back so I can actually pull numbers other classes can. Seems to me only ppl who benifit are the auto crit classes like tge smashmonkry spec

Its probably one of the most simple says of making a stat/damage random, however it seems to always get dialed back as players find either a good way to stack it or use it effectivly.

As a Jedi Shadow (balance) crit and critting Dots are my bread and butter. However there are plenty of other issues i see beside the crit nerf that you have seen and likely will see in most any MMO.

Ur ignoring fact like rage spwc has auto crit regardless of anything. My vg relies on crit alot more than power and the heavy nerf has ruined me in pvp. I lost around 10 percent crit. And 5 percent surge leavibg only hybrid spec 0-21-25 spec on pts viable to get auto crit which unlike smash auto crit only has 25 percent chance to proc. Abd I hate that hybrid. Did crit need a nerf. Debatable but certainly not as heavy as it is niw

Ur ignoring fact like rage spwc has auto crit regardless of anything. My vg relies on crit alot more than power and the heavy nerf has ruined me in pvp. I lost around 10 percent crit. And 5 percent surge leavibg only hybrid spec 0-21-25 spec on pts viable to get auto crit which unlike smash auto crit only has 25 percent chance to proc. Abd I hate that hybrid. Did crit need a nerf. Debatable but certainly not as heavy as it is niw

Wait! I'm sure I have the world's smallest violin around here somewhere....

Have you actually ran a parse on the PTS yet? Not to mention you play a particularly high dps class which could do with some balancing ;)

Parsing is useless for pvp. U wont pull same numbers. In pve vgs relay more on sustained game as most there damagecomes from plasma cell dot. In pvp dots can be cleansed so vgs need burst. Take away crit specially with the healing numbers going out like 8-9k heal crits. Then vgs die to quickly when other ckasses critting for 7k