Please rework the Need/Greed system

I find it disappointing that a nice upgrade drops for my Mercenary in HM Flashpoint runs and then the Juggernaut chooses "Need" and wins the item claiming it is an upgrade for his companion. :mad: This particular player disconnected and wasn't present for 80% of the Flashpoint.

** Sigh **

I understand its a better idea to group with friends, but sometimes they aren't online during the same time. I understand that not everyone plays fair. :(

I hope that Bioware seriously considers the way loot is handled in Flashpoints.

When I'm in a group, before we even enter the flashpoint, I state clearly how I will loot so it doesn't come as a surprise. I need on stuff for my character, I greed for stuff on companions, pass on everything else. It seems to be the most courteous way of handling it, but you just have to go into groups knowing there's likely one selfish, inconsiderate, thoughtless d-bag who's going to not care about you. That's just the nature of the beast. Besides, if that happens, just need on every single solitary thing and when you win something he/she really wanted and complains about it, you can say, "Yep, now think about whatcha did."

Yeah I believe both Rift and World of Warcraft has the loot system figured out as far as Need/Greed goes. I play a Bounty Hunter Mercenary and if a strength item drops, I should not be able to select "Need" and vice versa with the Sith Warrior Juggernaut.

* If your class can't use it/not ideal for your class (e.g. Cunning/Endurance medium armor and Marauders/Sentinels), the "Need" button is grayed out. Want it for cosmetics? Hit greed or work it out with your group.

* Add a "Need for Companion" button. Loot assignment priority goes Need -> Need for Companion -> Greed

I'm honestly surprised this system (or some variant of it) isn't already in place. You figure Bioware would take a few notes from what WoW and RIFT have done with their Need/Greed systems in recent years. Instead, they opted to copy from vanilla/TBC WoW's system. /headdesk

Edited by Exertim

I agree with all of you, if you can't use it then you shouldn't be able to press need.

* If your class can't use it/not ideal for your class (e.g. Cunning/Endurance medium armor and Marauders/Sentinels), the "Need" button is grayed out. Want it for cosmetics? Hit greed or work it out with your group.

* Add a "Need for Companion" button. Loot assignment priority goes Need -> Need for Companion -> Greed

I'm honestly surprised this system (or some variant of it) isn't already in place. You figure Bioware would take a few notes from what WoW and RIFT have done with their Need/Greed systems in recent years. Instead, they opted to copy from vanilla/TBC WoW's system. /headdesk

Love this idea, a "need for companion" button, added with the greyed out need button if you can't use the item yourself, would make the entire system much better imo.

I'm going to give away a big secret. Do not, ever, roll faster than someone you think might ninja. You have up to 1 minute to decide what to roll. If someone like this ninja hasn't rolled greed in the first 10 seconds, you can be assured he's considering needing.

Yeah, you'll have to out roll him but at least you have a chance to upgrade to need if you were going to greed.

Yes NEED (needs) to be restricted to AC (not class, but AC). We all know this, and I doubt you'll find anyone who reasonably disagrees.

But one could argue you brought this on yourself.

If the player in question wasn't present for 80% of the flashpoint, why did this individual even remain in the group?

I suggested this multiple times on this forum pre-beta and during beta... They just don't seem to notice or care.

Yes NEED (needs) to be restricted to AC (not class, but AC). We all know this, and I doubt you'll find anyone who reasonably disagrees.

But one could argue you brought this on yourself.

If the player in question wasn't present for 80% of the flashpoint, why did this individual even remain in the group?

I usually like to give the benefit of doubt however if I were the group leader, believe me I would have removed him with a vote. I could have easily left but being in a position where I need gear, I didn't want to make a hasty decision.

At the moment, there's not much we can do about it except post our experiences here on the forums to vent.

I really like the idea of the "Need for companion" button.

Disagree, only in that the way gear itemization works, in this game, MANY (not all) items could be very legitimately used by both AC's that share the same base class.

For example, a 1-handed lightsaber drops with lots of strength on it. Could equally be a sentinel or a guardian item. (Or, on Imperial side, the equivalent AC's). There's no way to take a lightsaber like that and determine that it is a sentinel lightsaber versus a guardian lightsaber.

Now it is a strength-based armor item, then it is obviously going to be either sentinel or guardian, depending upon whether it is medium or heavy.