Remember when purples were actually rare?

Dumpiduke

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. Now, speaking as a non-PVP person, do you think the PVP community would be ok that I get the "lightsaber of ultimate cuttingness", and almost no-one else has it, so I win most PVP matches?

Or, as a non-raider, I get the "armor of total immunity", and almost no-one else has it, so I'm the prime recruit for most PUG Raids and/or Heroics?

I'm personally ok with that. Are you? Is the community?

(Totally bogus examples, since I solo a lot, and, therefore, I firmly believe my gear SHOULD be the lowest in the totem pole, I don't group or raid, so, gear stuff doesn't affect me in the slightest. Plus I've heard of people in green gear destroy someone in purple, due to better gameplay / strategy / etc... but, common things being common, on equal footing, better gear wins assuming similarly good playstyle / strategy)

1 item doesn't completely skew the curve, especially in a group scenario.

Either way, rhetorical scenario.

Edited by Gungan

Fair enough. Now, speaking as a non-PVP person, do you think the PVP community would be ok that I get the "lightsaber of ultimate cuttingness", and almost no-one else has it, so I win most PVP matches?

Or, as a non-raider, I get the "armor of total immunity", and almost no-one else has it, so I'm the prime recruit for most PUG Raids and/or Heroics?

I'm personally ok with that. Are you? Is the community?

IMO, gear shouldn't make that much of a difference. It should be enough to make me want it, or grind for it, but it shouldn't be a vorpal blade that beheads other players with one swing. It should look awesome, and make other players go "ooo what is that?", because you know, it's rare.

Edited by Stevoli

I don't understand why MMO's have gravitated towards handing out purple items like candy. I've played at level 50 for roughly 20 hours and nearly all of my gear is "artifact" quality. Why is there even prototype gear in the game? Other than for leveling, it's basically a worthless tier of loot that is essentially skipped altogether. Why isn't Centurion pvp gear prototype quality?

Does this bother anyone else? To me, it really kills the thrill of 'purple fever'. I get that they want to make top end gear accessible to those of us that are casual (and I am casual), but why even call the loot an artifact if every Tom, Harry, & Sally has 20 of them with minimal effort?

I'm kind of old school, so is it just nostalgia talking or are other people bothered by this as well?

The colors in this game might be similar to the colors in other games, doesn't mean the "rarity" is the same, besides there's 2 kinds of purple in this game, the first is "semi-rare/costly" (artifact), the second is more or less very very rare.

Stop getting hung up on the color similarities from other games and you'll feel better.

I don't understand why MMO's have gravitated towards handing out purple items like candy. I've played at level 50 for roughly 20 hours and nearly all of my gear is "artifact" quality. Why is there even prototype gear in the game? Other than for leveling, it's basically a worthless tier of loot that is essentially skipped altogether. Why isn't Centurion pvp gear prototype quality?

Does this bother anyone else? To me, it really kills the thrill of 'purple fever'. I get that they want to make top end gear accessible to those of us that are casual (and I am casual), but why even call the loot an artifact if every Tom, Harry, & Sally has 20 of them with minimal effort?

I'm kind of old school, so is it just nostalgia talking or are other people bothered by this as well?

Purples have never been rare in SW:TOR. Other games are other games and aren't necessarily a good basis to form an opinion on for something as idiosyncratic as what color a specific quality of gear's name displays in.

Time to join 2012.

MMOs are mass market now.

Everyone who plays wants SOME kind of chance at "purples". Yeah, maybe they can't get the best but at least they put in enough time for SOMETHING.

The days of 6 people wearing best items and everyone else in crap is over.

Get. Over. It.

Time to join 2012.

Everyone who plays wants SOME kind of chance at "purples". Yeah, maybe they can't get the best but at least they put in enough time for SOMETHING.

Get. Over. It.

Blue used to not be crap! Thats the point wellfair "epics" are poop!

Time to join 2012.

Get. Over. It.

When everyone has them, they're not epic anymore. They're just the standard uniform.

Edited by Gungan

When everyone has them, they're not epic anymore. They're just the standard uniform.

And that is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with this situation. Most people don't judge their self worth by their MMO character.

And that is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with this situation. Most people don't judge their self worth by their MMO character.

Then don't bother making 6 levels of gear quality. Make 3 or 4. Vendor trash, green, blue, purple.

Blue is the standard at cap given a few dungeon runs, purple is the "ultra rare a few per server thing", or 1 per class from crazy epic story missions.

Yeah, that would work.

Edited by Gungan

Then don't bother making 6 levels of gear quality. Make 3 or 4. Vendor trash, green, blue, purple.

Blue is the standard, purple is the "ultra rare a few per server thing", or 1 per class from crazy epic story missions.

Yeah, that would work.

And once again we get back to the same problem. Colour doesn't mean anything. Why do you care how rare purple items are? What if there were red items of much higher quality and in bigger numbers and purpler were horrible and 2-3 per server? Would that satisfy you?

And once again we get back to the same problem. Colour doesn't mean anything. Why do you care how rare purple items are? What if there were red items of much higher quality and in bigger numbers and purpler were horrible and 2-3 per server? Would that satisfy you?

It's not the colour that matters, it's the fact that 4/7 of the current levels of quality are worthless.

This. Why do you care? You're you, and other people are other people. I see no reason to even care if someone else has purples like you except you want to feel superior in an online game to measure how cool you are.

Instead of just being a hater of anyone that has something thats wrong in the game, how about listen to what he said.

He asked why artifact are so common in the game. Artifacts are suppost to be very rare items, so if they are actually common they should not be called artifacts.

The OP didnt say that he was mad that opther people had purple gear that only he should have. He also implied that he doesnt think he should have as many as he does so early in the game.

I believe white items are called commons and purples are called artifacts but if you could armory every player in the game I bet that on average 20% of all players gear(including mods) are purple and .0001% (and I did mean to add the three zeros) of the gear is white.

I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Acquiring the best in slot gear is the pinnacle of character progression in a gear-driven game (like most MMOs are).

To lock that gear away behind a months-long, raiders-only fiesta is NOT something that all MMOs must have as their endgame. I, for one, applaud Bioware for not making it take dozens of wipes and the dedication akin to many rl jobs.

Not all MMOs have to be that way.

This is someone who obviously has only Warcraft as a reference , calling himself " old school"

This is someone who obviously has only Warcraft as a reference , calling himself " old school"

I actually played EQ and after that FFXI, but that's beside the point. You know as well as I do that WoW is the most significant reference we have to relate TOR's current gear situation to. After all, the game IS heavily modeled after it. I don't think that my question is an unreasonable one. For a genre that epitomizes progression, why is it that the 2nd highest tier of gear is so easily obtainable?

Apparently you're also schizo; you say you want them easy enough for a casual to obtain, but don't want everyone to have 20 of them...

Would you QQ if they were only obtainable through group content? What about if they were only obtainable through lengthy rep grinds?

I personally find the lockout system to be punitive; the content is so obviously easy that the only way to keep players from farming entire end-game sets in a single evening is to introduce artificial lockouts... it's a total development hackjob.

Pretty sure I never said that I want them to be easy to obtain. In fact, I'd be happier if I was in all prototypes's at the moment, hoping to obtain my first artifact (I say artifact because apparently if I say the color purple, people think that all I care about is the color.)

To answer your question, I would be absolutely delighted if the majority of artifacts were only accessibly through group content, after all, we ARE playing an MMORPG. Rep grinds you say? Not for me, but any good MMO would offer alternative methods to obtain rare gear to appease a multitude of play styles.

I guess what I'm really getting at with this thread is: is the carrot far away enough from the stick to keep players interested? As it stands now, end game is almost entirely based on obtaining gear. PURPLE gear. Perhaps it's time for Bioware to rethink the current gear situation if they're going to base end game solely on obtaining the next tier.

I actually played EQ and after that FFXI, but that's beside the point. You know as well as I do that WoW is the most significant reference we have to relate TOR's current gear situation to. After all, the game IS heavily modeled after it. I don't think that my question is an unreasonable one. For a genre that epitomizes progression, why is it that the 2nd highest tier of gear is so easily obtainable?

QUOTE]

well said,

/respect

People, what the hell are you babling?

there are 4 ! tires of purples on 50 lev (126, 128, 136, 140).

126 that can be RE from green=>blues on 49 lev and are hardly "second best". Even in best sets of stats, mastercrafted, they dont realy stay in par with second best, ie Columni.

I laugh almost every day when people overcompare TOR with all those older games:

"it was like that, or like that, and why this skill is not exacly the same? Why colour is different, I am confused because I realy dont care to learn new lore..."

Who cares what colour some items were in some orc/elf/leperhaun realm.

in TOR REALY RARE items are Violet and got Unique in descr. , I have seen only one such an item since launch (Guildie found such blaster pistol).

Stop whining and learn your game.

At least dont spread disinformation.