Remember when purples were actually rare?

Dumpiduke

I remember when even seemingly minor upgrades were huge news! How long were you running around with that bronze longsword before you got that first magical weapon? Did you come back and take revenge on some willowhisps or what!

Dragoon Dirk. Short Sword of the Ykesha. Bladed Thullian Claws.

Just everyday drops, but people remember them because they felt like they were actually important. Items back in the day had character. I honestly could not tell you the name of a single lightsaber that my characters have used other than "Lightsaber" that you get at lvl 10. Everything has just been a blur of colors and arbitrary stats.

Is this item a better color than what I have equiped? Check

Does the tool tip show more +green stats than -red stats? Check

Congraulations, you have a new item!

What was it called? What does it look like? Who did it drop from? Why is it important? Couldn't you have just modified my characters stats without the item at that point?

Armor used to mean something. For me, having armor values with numbers in the hundreds and thousands really takes a lot of the inportance out of it. So I went from 178902 AC to 179123 AC... what the hell kind of number is that? And should I be excited that I increase my armor by 200 some odd points?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This. Why do you care? You're you, and other people are other people. I see no reason to even care if someone else has purples like you except you want to feel superior in an online game to measure how cool you are.

I'm talking about personal achievement here. People like to accomplish goals. If we didn't set goals for ourselves, then life would be very dull. As it stands now, I don't feel epic when I'm in a full set of purple gear because it's just so easy to obtain.

I could care less what other people have. I'm not one to go about having pissing contests with other players. I want purples to actually feel like an accomplishment to get for my personal reasons. I'm not aiming to be superior to anyone else, but honestly, how awesome was it in Diablo when you saw that pale yellow item drop that you've been farming for forever? TOR needs more uniqueness to its approach on itemization.

I remember when MMOs weren't about affirming your self-worth or the need to compare yourself to others.

The good old days.. I still remember those and carry on the attitude. All my friends on WoW used to have a laugh because I geared up all 10 of my max level chars just enough so I could 'have fun'. Before WoW there was EQ2 and SWG.. same questions over and over 'why aren't you in a progression guild?', and 'what do you mean you won't do raids cause they're not fun? You get great gear!' And even back in old UO.. spent more time working on titles and decorating my home/growing plants than I did at hero spawns chasing scrolls...

I've gotten my share of nice loot, but only as a side effect of running instances and groups I enjoyed, as for raids.. tried them and laughed at guild leaders yelling 'move out of the f'ing fire you morons!' at the least experienced of our team members, and yawned at the hour after hour of learning curve and slow fights. Slow... yeah, I quit WoW when they added dailies that required months of slow grinding to actually get anything. And found no enjoyment in repeating the same thing over and over for tokens in instances that I found many of my fellow players struggled with, and personally I found to be less of a challenge than they were a chore... do this, do that, or die.

Take it from an old mmorpg vet guys, its better to log off at the end of the night thinking 'Whoa, that was fun! Can't wait till AFTER work tomorrow!' than 'Whoa, that was hard WORK, but I got another piece of epic gear! Can't wait to QUIT my job tomorrow so I have time to get more!'.

Just a small side note.. I'm loving swtor, bugs and all, and having heaps of fun, at the end of the day thats all I want for my 15 dollars a month.

I'm talking about personal achievement here. People like to accomplish goals. If we didn't set goals for ourselves, then life would be very dull. As it stands now, I don't feel epic when I'm in a full set of purple gear because it's just so easy to obtain.

I could care less what other people have. I'm not one to go about having pissing contests with other players. I want purples to actually feel like an accomplishment to get for my personal reasons. I'm not aiming to be superior to anyone else, but honestly, how awesome was it in Diablo when you saw that pale yellow item drop that you've been farming for forever? TOR needs more uniqueness to its approach on itemization.

You understand it completely. Giving everyone token bought items removes any sense of uniqueness or sense of thrill at obtaining a unique itme. it has nothing to do with look how cool i am in my rakata set . everyperson in game looks like me. Its about indviduality and having a unique chr. I dont care if i have to kill malgus 20 times to get this unique rare item, but i dont wann kill him 20 times to get my BP that everyone can buy at the vendor with enough tokens.

Mobs have no sense of purpose. Just run your daily and weekly and save your pennies youll be able to get your Food stamp BP Jughead.

You can be proud of your personal achievements without any extrinsic reward at all.

It sounds like the goal you have set and desire to accomplish is acquiring stat mods.

A video game is hardly the proper place from which to derive a sense of achieving something few other people ever will. Do something for humanity in the real world if you want to stand on something worth being proud of.

You understand it completely. Giving everyone token bought items removes any sense of uniqueness or sense of thrill at obtaining a unique itme. it has nothing to do with look how cool i am in my rakata set . everyperson in game looks like me. Its about indviduality and having a unique chr. I dont care if i have to kill malgus 20 times to get this unique rare item, but i dont wann kill him 20 times to get my BP that everyone can buy at the vendor with enough tokens.

Mobs have no sense of purpose. Just run your daily and weekly and save your pennies youll be able to get your Food stamp BP Jughead.

Who ever promised you that you would get exclusive access to something and thus be "unique" in a game with millions of players?

The original "holo-grinding" system for becoming a Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that no matter how much of a mountainous pile of grinding you throw between a player and a goal, you cannot make it rare.

If you have an issue with the "clone wars" effect at end-game you can thank Bioware for refusing to develop a sensible approach to de-coupling appearance from performance.

Edited by Syylara

There are three forces at work here:

1. Name (e.g. Prototype, Artifact): This is for flavor; it serves to show you, in the lore of the game world, how/why one item is more powerful than another.

2. Color (e.g. Blue, Purple): This for comparability; it serves to show you, in the mechanics of the game, that one item has a higher or lower stat budget than other.

3. Rarity (e.g. where and with what frequency the item drops: quest, flashpoint, operation): This serves to reward more complex styles of play with more powerful items. Right now it appears that BioWare feels there is a ceiling at which a few different avenues of gameplay are sufficiently complex to warrant the same level of reward. In other words, they feel that the time put into, say, crafting and reverse engineering, is worth (for a few slots, at least) the time put into running operations.

That said, whenever I read "remember when purples used to be rare (subtext: exclusive)?" I always think "yeah, and it wasn't fun." I remember when the best items had 8 Defense and 40 Health, weren't very rare, weren't BoP, and on top of that, weren't much better than items with 6 Defense and 30 Health, which were even more common. I remember laughing at people who "chased purples," and then I remember miserably chasing purples myself.

I genuinely hope we're almost out of this storm of item quality elitism. I would love to see a game where base items ("white") were average (with combinations of item material and item type affecting damage/armor/attack speed/armor penetration/etc), and then magic items ("blue") having additional magical effects (fire damage, life stealing, etc.), and then unique items ("purple") simply being blue items with unique names, effects, and models, but not better stats.

i feel ya man. i liked in vanilla WOW when purples(meaning rare ****** looking armor\weapons with awesome stats, the color is inconsequential, thought i would mention that since that point went over some of your heads) were something you didn't see very often. it was a goal to work for. I wanted that cool looking armor i want that huge magical sword. I understood the time and dedication involved in getting those items and i thought it was pretty cool that the best items in the took a lot to get. i understood that i would never have it all but i knew i could get some of it and that was fine. not only was it sort of a social status in game it was also a testament to your dedication to your guild, your character and the game. I hated the fact that in later expansions they started giving away these "rare items" like candy and it devalued them a lot for me. no longer were they those ****** pieces of armor that i hoped i might someday get it was just something i knew i would get by simply logging in for a few hours everyday. maybe i am a bit old school that i like to be challenged in my games and given a reward appropriate to that challenge. i personally liked that system of gear distribution and itemization but i understand that the masses dont like making gear hard to get and its not the way to get millions of players. theres a reason the term welfare epics started getting thrown around with the inclusion of PvP gear in WoW.

with that big wall of text said i am okay with it the way it is i guess but i do have that nostalgia for the "good old days" from time to time

Yes this gets on my wick too.

It astounds me that the developers of these games are so damn unimaginative that they just copy whatever crap was mildly successful in other games right down to the stupid colour of the stupid items.

It utterly trivialises and saps the fun out of the process of getting gear when the top level of gear is so easy to acquire and its basically the same as the **** you have been wearing for weeks.

Sheesh I remember the days when epic gear in MC was such a status symbol in WOW. It was cool and everyone craved that gear. Now you're weird if you aren't decked out in epics. It sucks. And so do the developers who have the collective imagination and creativity of a squashed fly.

Yeah, I'm so sick of purple everywhere. Why do you have 6 levels of gear quality at all if the first 2 are nothing but vendor trash, the next two are quest gear, and everyone and their mother gets a fulle set of epics after a week at 50.

I'm kind of old school, so is it just nostalgia talking or are other people bothered by this as well?
Apparently you're also schizo; you say you want them easy enough for a casual to obtain, but don't want everyone to have 20 of them...

Would you QQ if they were only obtainable through group content? What about if they were only obtainable through lengthy rep grinds?

I personally find the lockout system to be punitive; the content is so obviously easy that the only way to keep players from farming entire end-game sets in a single evening is to introduce artificial lockouts... it's a total development hackjob.

Apparently you're also schizo; you say you want them easy enough for a casual to obtain, but don't want everyone to have 20 of them...

Would you QQ if they were only obtainable through group content? What about if they were only obtainable through lengthy rep grinds?

I personally find the lockout system to be punitive; the content is so obviously easy that the only way to keep players from farming entire end-game sets in a single evening is to introduce artificial lockouts... it's a total development hackjob.

They should be infrequent for everybody.

I miss rare random drops.

Everyone has to have that rare random drop of course, so they go grind some mob for 20 hours straight until it drops, which causes massive complaining in the forums by people who don't have 20 hours to grind on a mob, which causes the developers to introduce a bartering system....

The drop was supposed to be RARE in the first place, meaning it's original intent was that only a few "lucky" people would have that item.

Edited by Stevoli

They should be infrequent for everybody.
That's not likely, unless developers artificially limit the total number of epic-quality items you can have on any one character.

Yes, someone who puts more time in will likely have more epics than a casual, but even then it's more about how a casual spends their time than it does how much time a casual actually devotes to the game.

Obviously a casual won't have as many epics if they play infrequently and use what time they have "unproductively" (namely, not in a targeted pursuit of epics).

That's not likely, unless developers artificially limit the total number of epic-quality items you can have on any one character.

Yes, someone who puts more time in will likely have more epics than a casual, but even then it's more about how a casual spends their time than it does how much time a casual actually devotes to the game.

Obviously a casual won't have as many epics if they play infrequently and use what time they have "unproductively" (namely, not in a targeted pursuit of epics).

It's perfectly likely. 1% drop rate on epics. Done.