Why all the hate for the Operative healer?

Darth_Thrawl

I played a Sorcerer up to 30 and decided that healing was alright, but it was just more fun to be a lightning cannon. I then decided to roll up an agent operative and went the healing route on the skill tree. PVE has been easy so far, and I have faired fairly well in PVP, but when I decided to read these threads to see if I could pick up an edge, it seems no one like the operative as a healer.

So my question is, why all the hate for this class? Mind you I am only level 34 at this point with my operative at this point so I have no experience with healing at the higher levels. But I was just wondering if I am always going to come up short in the PVP matches with this class.

Why can't you jsut read all the bazillion threads on this ?

Because there are a bazillion threads on this, some vague, all over the map, and spread out over dozens of pages. When I log in my account, I can go directly to this post and get the answers I needed if anyone was kind enough to answer.....which is probably roughly the same amount of time it took you to say nothing helpful but come off like a feminine hygiene product.

Short answer: Because Sage/Sorcs get better, more efficient, more numerous, and more varied tools to deal with incoming damage (both in PvE and PvP). Because the Dev team has obviously balanced Healing around the toolset at the disposal of Sage/Sorcs, and has made no clear indication of even ACKNOWLEDGING a problem with Scoundrel/Ops. Play it to 50, try healing hardmode Flashpoints (although they've been nerfed QUITE a bit since release), try to justify your slot in an Operation over a healer that out-produces you on a consistant basis, and come to your own conclusion about the class.

Long answer: Read Bobudo's posts. Like, all of them. Then, maybe move on to RuQu (who, while a Commando, has spent a lot of time/energy analyzing Scoundrel numbers). There is no magic way to distill all of our collective experiences into an easy to read, succinct explanation, but they come pretty close.

which is probably roughly the same amount of time it took you to say nothing helpful but come off like a feminine hygiene product.

Douches aren't a hygiene product at all, they're pretty much a scam perpetuated by "common wisdom". A woman's lady parts are naturally self cleaning. Doctors recommend against douching because it can actually upset the natural cleaning process.

Edited by Soshla

Douches aren't a hygiene product at all, they're pretty much a scam perpetuated by "common wisdom". A woman's lady parts are naturally self cleaning. Doctors recommend against douching because it can actually upset the natural cleaning process.

I suspect that is just what a douche would say.

Level 30/34 isn't a good indication of the two classes, honestly. The difference doesn't matter for any pre-50 content, and frankly Operatives are fine for PUG warzones and hardmode flashpoints as well. The issue is 16-man Operations, Nightmare Operations, and premade vs premade warzone matches.

In 16 Man, the Sorcerer's uncapped AoE heal is immeasurably superior to Recuperative Nanotech. Nanotech only hits 4 targets, ticks for less, and takes longer to do it's full healing.

In Nightmare mode, the heavy burst means that Operatives are at high risk of going into their "Energy deadzone" due to the need to spam heals repeatedly. Sorcs don't have this problem, since they can just weave Consumption in every 8 seconds. It takes a good 5+ minutes for a Sorc to run out of Force going full-stop, and if that happens, you've probably hit the Enrage timer anyway.

In Premade vs Premade warzones, there's the burst issue mentioned above, as well as substantial advantages for the Sorc in every warzone.

Alderaan: Heal puddles on the turrets make for easy defense. Force Speed means you can zip around the map faster than any other healer. More CC than the Operative/Merc means you can hold a turret easier than the other healers.

Voidstar: Heal puddle is god for door defense. Overload and Force Speed are great on the bridges.

Huttball: Where to begin? Static Barrier lets you run through the fire without taking damage. Force Speed makes you a much better ball carrier than a Merc or Op (it's not even close), and then there's the friendly pull.

Level 30/34 isn't a good indication of the two classes, honestly. The difference doesn't matter for any pre-50 content, and frankly Operatives are fine for PUG warzones and hardmode flashpoints as well. The issue is 16-man Operations, Nightmare Operations, and premade vs premade warzone matches.

In 16 Man, the Sorcerer's uncapped AoE heal is immeasurably superior to Recuperative Nanotech. Nanotech only hits 4 targets, ticks for less, and takes longer to do it's full healing.

In Nightmare mode, the heavy burst means that Operatives are at high risk of going into their "Energy deadzone" due to the need to spam heals repeatedly. Sorcs don't have this problem, since they can just weave Consumption in every 8 seconds. It takes a good 5+ minutes for a Sorc to run out of Force going full-stop, and if that happens, you've probably hit the Enrage timer anyway.

In Premade vs Premade warzones, there's the burst issue mentioned above, as well as substantial advantages for the Sorc in every warzone.

Alderaan: Heal puddles on the turrets make for easy defense. Force Speed means you can zip around the map faster than any other healer. More CC than the Operative/Merc means you can hold a turret easier than the other healers.

Voidstar: Heal puddle is god for door defense. Overload and Force Speed are great on the bridges.

Huttball: Where to begin? Static Barrier lets you run through the fire without taking damage. Force Speed makes you a much better ball carrier than a Merc or Op (it's not even close), and then there's the friendly pull.

Cool, this made a lot of sense, thanks.