Simple question about orange gear

AGSThomas

When if ever, do you think they will make hilts and armor plating on purples so we can rip those nice mods out of the disgustingly ugly gear they made for end game and put it into the surprisingly cool gear they made for lower levels.

(isnt it supposed to be the other way around? you get the crap gear at lower levels and max level has the nicest looking gear? My Warrior looks like a terminator and my sorc looks like an alien that evolved from a peacock...I don't remember any heroes looking like a peacock.)

Edited by AGSThomas

Yeah:( I tried making my character use mods from my PvP gear in oranges but no expertise so it's a moot idea. Sad face. Having said that they don't have armoring mods either.... O.o. What was the purpose of making EVERYONE use the same looking gear when you have moddable gear meant to customize your look?

Yeah:( I tried making my character use mods from my PvP gear in oranges but no expertise so it's a moot idea. Sad face. Having said that they don't have armoring mods either.... O.o. What was the purpose of making EVERYONE use the same looking gear when you have moddable gear meant to customize your look?

"Now, if purple gear was fully moddable, players would simply farm the first boss, acquire 5 pair of boots, extract the armoring, mod and enhancements from the boots and slots them in their favorite Custom items. That actually sounds cool, but it really isn’t. Letting players extract the armoring mod from the purple items would trivialize end game gear progression and stop rewarding successful and dedicated players for their efforts."

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications

Edited by Boldfury

It's coming in 1.2 but you will only be able to put the armoring back in the same type of gear. Helm -> Helm, Boots -> Boots, etc. This is to stop what the person above linked.

The PVP armorings will have all the Expertise on them.

The PVE/PVP armorings will also have the 2P/4P bonuses attached to them.

Dumb question, but Orange gear related...

Alright. Two questions:

I recently picked up two differently leveled orange pieces - a headband a and a facemask. Though they both have slots, one has a higher armor rating than the other even when I strip all the gear out of it. Is the armor rating dependent on the level of the orange gear and not on the mods?

Rather frustrating, since I've got some beautiful looking orange robes that have a pitiful armor rating when compared to some other ugly ones that I have. Sure, I can put in better mods, but I could really use a better armor rating.

Alright. Two questions:

I recently picked up two differently leveled orange pieces - a headband a and a facemask. Though they both have slots, one has a higher armor rating than the other even when I strip all the gear out of it. Is the armor rating dependent on the level of the orange gear and not on the mods?

Rather frustrating, since I've got some beautiful looking orange robes that have a pitiful armor rating when compared to some other ugly ones that I have. Sure, I can put in better mods, but I could really use a better armor rating.

Double check them, but were they both the same armor type (Light, Medium, Heavy)? They have different base armor based on type.

Orange Items that are the same type with the exact same armoring mod, should have the same armor. If not than one of them is bugged.

Alright. Two questions:

That doesnt matter. Once you put in an armor piece of the same value they both have the same armor rating. Try it out, get a low level green armor for really cheap on drommund kaas from the mods vendor then put it in your headband, write down the number, take the armor plate out and put it into the facemask. You will see the same number.

Edited by AGSThomas

Yep. I see the 50th level characters walking around in their gaudy outfits and just laugh. I REALLY hope I don't get forced to wear something that ridiculous when I hit 50th level. Granted it's a different era, but I seem to recall the Jedi in the movies wearing very plain and simple clothing without ANY body armor whatsoever. You could maybe argue that Vader had body armor, but I would say that was primarialy life support. But regardless of the armor issue, having the character's walking around looking like World Wrestling Federation stars is a bit ridiculous. I found an orange of the starting smuggler's vest and that's all I ever put on my smuggler. The outfits just get more gaudy and ridiculous as the game progresses.

Yep. Was reading it wrong. Was thinking of the difference between a modable purple I had and a higher level orange gear. Even when I stripped the mods out of the purple, it still had a higher rating than the orange with the purple mods in it.

Much appreciated.

Yep, most of the purple items have the armor/barrel/hilt slot Locked. You can not see the modification in there, but it is there.