Clicker by nature

Lokkii-redd

I've been playing MMOs for a while now and I've always been a very casual gamer and a "clicker". I notice as I've getting more involved in discovering the marauder that most people in the videos are not.

I only have a marauder, so even though this post could go under a general discussion, I'm looking for specific advice as per my marauder to help me boost my game up. I do fairly well as a clicker but there are times when I know I search for buttons frantically when I get into a tight spot. I've tried and failed a few times to use the keyboard, but I get frustrated with walking backwards to stay on my target.

Do you still use W,A,S,D and just bind the keys around those four?

Do you just use 1-5, and use modifiers to cover the full range of abilities?

I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of "stop being a noob" posts, but I'm seriously interested in getting better at my class. I love my mara and pvp a ton. Thanks for any help, or positive feedback you may have!

I've been playing MMOs for a while now and I've always been a very casual gamer and a "clicker". I notice as I've getting more involved in discovering the marauder that most people in the videos are not.

I only have a marauder, so even though this post could go under a general discussion, I'm looking for specific advice as per my marauder to help me boost my game up. I do fairly well as a clicker but there are times when I know I search for buttons frantically when I get into a tight spot. I've tried and failed a few times to use the keyboard, but I get frustrated with walking backwards to stay on my target.

Do you still use W,A,S,D and just bind the keys around those four?

Do you just use 1-5, and use modifiers to cover the full range of abilities?

I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of "stop being a noob" posts, but I'm seriously interested in getting better at my class. I love my mara and pvp a ton. Thanks for any help, or positive feedback you may have!

Invest in a Razer Naga, even with 17 buttons, its still not enough.

I'm assuming you still use W,A,S,D to move then? Not just clicking the left and right mouse buttons?

Most of the time, I hold down the right mouse button, so that A and D allow me to strafe and the mouse moves the camera. I occasionally release the right mouse button to click on a specific target (tab targetting fail) or to click the huttball, etc.

Some keybinding tips and tricks:

- I'd recommend unbinding "S" from the walk backwards command, as walking backwards only hurts you when in combat and doesn't help you in normal movement.

- My movement keys are W to move forward, A to strafe left, and D to strafe right. I replaced the usual turn keys on A and D to strafe because ideally you should be using your mouse to do all of your turning as it's much more efficient and prevents anyone from calling you a "keyboard turner"

- All of my ability keybinds are set up around my movement keys and mouse buttons for ease of access. My spell bindings are Q,E,R,F,S,Z,X,C, as well as shift-Q,E,R... etc. I also use mouse scroll up and down as well as shift-up and down.

Between all of those keys, shift keys, and mouse buttons you should have most if not all of your important skills covered. One tip that helps me remember what spells go to all of those bindings is keeping certain types of spells to certain keys, i.e. lightsaber attacks on the scroll wheel, instant cast nukes on mouse buttons, stuns and CC's to Z,X, and C, and so on and so forth.

It takes a little practice, I'd say start by binding 4 or 5 abilities and get used to using those and then adding more as you get more comfortable.

WASD to move, mouse to turn. 123456QERTFGZXCVB should all be reachable from the WASD position (use thumb for V and B). Bind Middle Click to ALT or SHIFT and suddenly you have 34 useable keybinds.

And that's just with a basic keyboard and 3 button mouse. Obviously with peripherals that have extra keys/buttons you can make more numerous and/or easier binds than that.

Some people prefer to shift their movement keys to ESDF or even RDFG so they can easily access more keys. This could be useful for you. I prefer not to do so simply because so many PC games are designed around WASD.

Edited by OniGanon

i always use wasd never unbinded them ever , and of course mouse to turn ;)

and i have 123456 to press and and i have binded shift 123456 , r, f , v and shift r f v

and the 2 side buttons on my mouse have i binded and shift + the 2 mouse buttons.

Thats all binds i have so far and its very smooth , dunno how some people can can f2 f3 and so on , seem so far away.

I still click on some spell the one i dont use often / the big cooldown spells.

Iam a marauder.

Thanks for all the great input, I'm excited to give it a go!

I currently have mouse with two extra buttons, didn't even think of the shift modifier for them.

I unbound the turning keys, and using A and D to strafe. Remembering which spells are bound to which key is proving challenging. But thanks for all the help!

i click almost everything but I have found it very helpful to bind my most common abilities to the 1-5... especially retaliate so it can be clicked immediately. This allows me to build some sort of rotation or something basic to fall back on just pushing shortcuts with left hand and worry about the more complicated things with the mouse.

The class is way too complicated to rely on Clicking and do well with it.

The best option is and in no sense am i trying to be elitist, but to reroll, already the class is being claimed as being the hardest to play, and its due to the fact that their are too many buttons that need pressing, as a clicker i do not think you will be able to surpass that learning curve, especially since you have been use to clicking for so long.

It will be a difficult and frustrating journey for you to attempt to learn keybinding with this class, my recommendation is to choose a class that at endgame level 50 does not require more than 4 buttons to press to achieve optimal results. Its up to you to decide, but i believe this choice will be far more enjoyable for you in the long run.

cheers. :)

The class is way too complicated to rely on Clicking and do well with it.

The best option is and in no sense am i trying to be elitist, but to reroll, already the class is being claimed as being the hardest to play, and its due to the fact that their are too many buttons that need pressing, as a clicker i do not think you will be able to surpass that learning curve, especially since you have been use to clicking for so long.

It will be a difficult and frustrating journey for you to attempt to learn keybinding with this class, my recommendation is to choose a class that at endgame level 50 does not require more than 4 buttons to press to achieve optimal results. Its up to you to decide, but i believe this choice will be far more enjoyable for you in the long run.

cheers. :)

I'm not opposed to learning, sure I've been clicking for a while but I'm always willing to try a better way. As I said earlier, I do fairly well as far as damage in the WZs go, but I'm in the top-middle of the damage for the WZs (I also lack the gear as I've only my champ set, not BM). I want to push my dps to the top.

I know there are a lot easier classes out there, I could roll a tracer missile BH and spam one button, but I enjoy the mara and find it fun and challenging.

I'm not opposed to learning, sure I've been clicking for a while but I'm always willing to try a better way. As I said earlier, I do fairly well as far as damage in the WZs go, but I'm in the top-middle of the damage for the WZs (I also lack the gear as I've only my champ set, not BM). I want to push my dps to the top.

I know there are a lot easier classes out there, I could roll a tracer missile BH and spam one button, but I enjoy the mara and find it fun and challenging.

If you want to learn it, then go for it. Don't let any elitists-who-think-there-not-elitists tell you otherwise.

In the last few levels(38-44) I have changed spec from rage>carnage>anni. I told you that story to tell you this one.. go to a lower level planet and find a silver or gold mob to work on it will help you get your keybind rotation down while you just roll through the mobs.

In the last few levels(38-44) I have changed spec from rage>carnage>anni. I told you that story to tell you this one.. go to a lower level planet and find a silver or gold mob to work on it will help you get your keybind rotation down while you just roll through the mobs.

This ^^

After i got my Naga I went to Ilum and killed everything i ran into to get myself use to the new keybinds and buttons.

Im gonna chime in and say that im a clicker , always have been and it seems like i always will be... ive tried touse keybinds but i still always revert back to clicking... now i plan on purchasing a naga for myself when i get my return as a little treat, maybe ill have better luck getting used to keybinding then, but until then im a clicker at heart.

that said, i have NO problem, ZERO, playing my marauder, which is my main and my only toon

im always number 1 on the charts for kills / damage, sometimes in the top 3 for healing too

maybe im just real good at it, but i honestly have no problem with my marauder as a clicker, its quite fun to be so beast mode...

now i can only imagine how great it would be to be a a keybinder type... hopefully ill b able to get it setup and get used to it