Alignment Appearance Customization Please.

ITUCHURLEG

Everything after dark III makes me look like a emo kid that has some kind of debilitating disease. I hate Dark V and yet I hate just looking normal. Dark II was perfect imo.

Can we please get the option to CHOOSE which rank of alignment we want to display so I don't have to display my horribly ugly helmet to cover up my horribly ugly face? Kthx Bioware.

It's the price you pay for being evil. They have it so that you can show corruption or not. I think that's good enough.

Where in star wars lore does it say you turn into a vein ridden crusty pale looking emo person from killing a few people that got in my way. ESPECIALLY non force users. Please point it out to me.

Alignment has no point in this game, there's no reason to "display it proudly" all I did was hit 1,2, or 3. And there is no gear at 50 that has alignment linked to it, that I have seen anyways.

Where in star wars lore does it say you turn into a vein ridden crusty pale looking emo person from killing a few people that got in my way. ESPECIALLY non force users. Please point it out to me.

"It is a sign of the dark side–all your choices, they affect the flesh, rotting it, as the dark side rots you from within."

―Mical

Corruption of the dark side

Alignment has no point in this game, there's no reason to "display it proudly" all I did was hit 1,2, or 3. And there is no gear at 50 that has alignment linked to it, that I have seen anyways.

Star Wars is not subtle in it's portrayal of good guys and bad guys. If you're a bad guy in the Star Wars universe, you're going to look like a bad guy in the Star Wars universe.

Have you tried rolling same species on different factions yet?

-Very different character creation options, especially zabrak.

Get with the program!

Dark Side corruption doesn't come from your actions. Your face doesn't go "oh, you killed that guy? I should pale up and get kind of veiny."

It comes from you drawing on the Dark Side of the Force and using it. That destroys your body.

Where's the evidence? Just about every Sith I can think of. Sidious, Malgus, Vader, and many more have distinctly distorted features for this reason. Darth Nyriss is expressly described as having crusty lips and pale skin. On top of that, she does display it with pride because there are ways to limit the corruption through certain techniques. She chose not to follow that path in order to display her Dark Side alignment.

I dont mind the look of sith currupt apart from these few things...

If you have dark skin it makes you look very pale and very dodgy.

If you have red skin (Sith pureblood or Zabrak) you look like Doctor zoidberg from Futurama cos its so pink.

The bits around the mouth that makes you look like you have a nasty dose of VD.

Although i made a char specifically to handle DS corruption to the extreme with make up and scars making it look ever more pronounced.

this is DS3 i think - http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/Dekkameron/Star%20Wars%20The%20Old%20Republic/Screenshot_2011-12-30_06_09_58_285600.jpg

DS4-5 - http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/Dekkameron/Star%20Wars%20The%20Old%20Republic/Screenshot_2011-12-30_08_46_29_031600.jpg

oh and bonus piccy of that char looking hardcore - http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/Dekkameron/Star%20Wars%20The%20Old%20Republic/Screenshot_2012-01-05_15_49_38_050000.jpg

Edited by Shuno

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force

Corruption of the dark

"It is a sign of the dark side–all your choices, they affect the flesh, rotting it, as the dark side rots you from within."

―Mical

The dark side, much like a strong, addictive narcotic, affected not only the mind of the user but the appearance as well. As one immersed themselves deeper within the dark side of the Force, its malevolent power would take a toll on the body.

Many darksiders experienced a change in the pigmentation of their eyes, as their normal eye color would transform into a luminous, sulfuric yellow. Often the skin would also lose pigmentation, becoming pale and mottled while veins became increasingly visible. The hair would also lose color, making it appear as though the darksider was aging rapidly. The user's voice would also be altered, becoming a few pitches lower and raspier.

The effects generally progressed over time and immersion in the dark side, and would not immediately affect one's appearance...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force

Corruption of the dark

―Mical

The dark side, much like a strong, addictive narcotic, affected not only the mind of the user but the appearance as well. As one immersed themselves deeper within the dark side of the Force, its malevolent power would take a toll on the body.

Many darksiders experienced a change in the pigmentation of their eyes, as their normal eye color would transform into a luminous, sulfuric yellow. Often the skin would also lose pigmentation, becoming pale and mottled while veins became increasingly visible. The hair would also lose color, making it appear as though the darksider was aging rapidly. The user's voice would also be altered, becoming a few pitches lower and raspier.

The effects generally progressed over time and immersion in the dark side, and would not immediately affect one's appearance...

Doesn't mean it should effect non force users though just because they're a bit demented and evil.

Non force users can't gain darkside points really and only those force users that actually do suffer from those appearance issues are people who have been delving into the darkside for many many years, not over night.

SW:Tales of the Jedi source books have many pages on such things

such as the ancient and withered King Ommin : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ommin

but generally, no youngish Dark jedi ever suffered from such afflictions. Freedon Nadd, Ulic Qel Droma, Exar Kun. None of these people had outwardly dark side appearance

Edited by Shuno

Doesn't mean it should effect non force users though just because they're a bit demented and evil.
A) That is where Game Mechanics > Lore, which happens. It doesn't make sense to make a completely separate mechanic that does the exact same thing for part of the characters. That is why there is an option to show it or not to show it, very simple. Even in WoW there are technically no such as Holy/Discipline Priests for Horde, they are all Shadow Priests. However because of Game Mechanics it is necessary to have them, therefore Horde also have Holy/Discipline Priests.

B) From a Lore aspect it actually could also still be backed, since the Force exists in all life. Many normal people use the force or experience it and not even realize it. They themselves just weren't force sensitive enough to manipulate the force. They are usually explained Lore-wise has someone was not found at a young age, too old to go through the training. Or someone who didn't have enough power to become adept at it. Quite a few people didn't make it through the academy and got regular jobs as Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, Troopers, etc.

But the reality is, it is an incident of Game Mechanics > Lore.

Edited by DarkSeverance

Dark Side corruption doesn't come from your actions. Your face doesn't go "oh, you killed that guy? I should pale up and get kind of veiny."

It comes from you drawing on the Dark Side of the Force and using it. That destroys your body.

Where's the evidence? Just about every Sith I can think of. Sidious, Malgus, Vader, and many more have distinctly distorted features for this reason. Darth Nyriss is expressly described as having crusty lips and pale skin. On top of that, she does display it with pride because there are ways to limit the corruption through certain techniques. She chose not to follow that path in order to display her Dark Side alignment.

And yet there are also regular dark side users in lore that despite channeling the dark side power, look very normal.

From the same wiki page:

"Darth Tyranus and Galen Marek, for example, did not suffer any of the physical degeneration of the dark side, and their eyes only assumed the yellow hue during moments of anger. [..] Only those that devoted almost all of their being to the dark side, such as Darth Sidious, would have their appearance radically altered."

For me, the best option would be to split current "show Sith corruption" option into 3:

- skin tone

- mouth area

- eyes area

That way we could simply customize our "corrupted" look. Myself, I find that veins all over the face look not menacing or corrupted but like I just dove face-down into a pile of dirt. I'd love to have the skin tone I chose when creating my character but I'd also love to have red eyes with that dark outline. Half of the Dark Council ingame doesn't even show any signs of Sith corruption. Game mechanics =/= lore and being able to pick which part of corrupted look we want to show would simply go a long way towards being more satisfied with how our characters look. Not to mention that splitting already existing option into 3 lesser ones shouldn't even be any huge effort.

Edited by gibmachine

And yet there are also regular dark side users in lore that despite channeling the dark side power, look very normal.
That is because they have an option to not show any dark side corruption at all, they all just deselected it in their preferences. ^_^ Same option you have.

As for the choices. I don't agree with it. The system should stay the way it is, those that like it will use it. Those that don't won't. (Personally I don't use it). The reason why you don't add various dark side options and give players choices in that aspect is because evil people couldn't just choose what they wanted to be evil. "I want to have really cool, menacing evil dark red eyes" and not have the other things associated with it. OF COURSE everyone would choose that option.

You either use it or you don't, that simple. You don't get to choose the 6 degrees of dark side corruption.

Edit: Actually forgot I do use it on my a couple characters, but only because they stay at Dark Side II. I make an effort to curb their fall to the dark side.

Edited by DarkSeverance

That is because they have an option to not show any dark side corruption at all, they all just deselected it in their preferences. ^_^ Same option you have.

As for the choices. I don't agree with it. The system should stay the way it is, those that like it will use it. Those that don't won't. (Personally I don't use it). The reason why you don't add various dark side options and give players choices in that aspect is because evil people couldn't just choose what they wanted to be evil. "I want to have really cool, menacing evil dark red eyes" and not have the other things associated with it. OF COURSE everyone would choose that option.

You either use it or you don't, that simple. You don't get to choose the 6 degrees of dark side corruption.

Edit: Actually forgot I do use it on my a couple characters, but only because they stay at Dark Side II. I make an effort to curb their fall to the dark side.

Thanaton doesn't agree with you

Neither does the Emperor

Edited by gibmachine

A) That is where Game Mechanics > Lore, which happens. It doesn't make sense to make a completely separate mechanic that does the exact same thing for part of the characters. That is why there is an option to show it or not to show it, very simple.

I disagree with this. We're talking about 50% of the characters. That's a very sizable amount. This isn't just one class or one AC.

I am still a huge advocate for the fact that Troopers, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, and Imperial Agents should use the Mass Effect Paragon/Renegade system. Troopers do not attune themselves to the Light Side of the Force. Bounty Hunters do not attune themselves to the Light Side of the Force and so on. It's completely ridiculous that they have a very well-adapted system that isn't being used.

I don't think it was game mechanics > lore. I think it was laziness > all just like all the copy and pasted spaceports, orbital stations, and random building interiors.

I disagree with this. We're talking about 50% of the characters. That's a very sizable amount. This isn't just one class or one AC.

I don't think it was game mechanics > lore. I think it was laziness > all just like all the copy and pasted spaceports, orbital stations, and random building interiors.

1. Good point. Like it or not, Sith corruption is a big elelement in character's look and being able to modify it according to your own liking would go a long way. Especially how our character is something we stare at 100% of the time.

2. Maybe not laziness because in itself, it's very cool option but could definately use a minor work (e.g what OP suggested) to be perfect. All in all, I really like having this as an option but a little customization wouldn't hurt as well.