My worry with TOR

DonkeyofDoom

Hi, I lead a guild. We do operations, we're working on nightmare mode content. My guild has 11 members, we're a tight knit group. My worry, however, is that we have stopped logging on. All of us. We log on to raid once a week, then we log off. Simply put, I don't think there is enough to do at level 50.

I run operations once a week.

I could run flashpoints, but I don't need the gear.

I could grind PVP, but I don't particularly want to.

I could do daily quests, but they're pretty boring and I have 2 million credits sitting around.

I could level an alt (but that's not really max level content, is it?)

So instead, I go play other games. So does my guild, all of us. No one logs on except for raids, because we don't have anything else to do. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy The Old Republic, but I have nothing to do. That said, I do think this is a problem with MMOs in general. It's a problem I've wrestled with in both WoW and DCUO. I don't, as of yet, know whether I'll continue to pay for The Old Republic. I don't think I can justify doing so if I'm only going to play it once a week, which is really a shame.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you already know the answer, you just want to hear it from someone else.

maybe an mmo isnt for you, if completing content is all it is to you. just pat yourself on the back, say you "beat the game" and do something else til you beat that too. when i hit 50, i will likely do my dailies and other things i can do, then possibly hang out at the fleet and offer to power people through lower level flashpoints or class quests who normally wouldnt, because they dont have anyone else to play with. maybe ill craft some stuff for lower level players (im cybertech) because i see all that stuff is drying up in the GTN on my server.

i feel it is incumbent for us who "go before" to assist and help those who are behind. mmos need a community to thrive. you want to be entertained without having to create your own from time to time. think beyond your own three foot radius.

i think that more than anything is the damage WoW has done to the MMO genre as a whole.

Edited by techslave

i think you already know the answer, you just want to hear it from someone else.

maybe an mmo isnt for you, if completing content is all it is to you. just pat yourself on the back, say you "beat the game" and do something else til you beat that too. when i hit 50, i will likely do my dailies and other things i can do, then possibly hang out at the fleet and offer to power people through lower level flashpoints or class quests who normally wouldnt, because they dont have anyone else to play with. maybe ill craft some stuff for lower level players (im cybertech) because i see all that stuff is drying up in the GTN on my server.

i feel it is incumbent for us who "go before" to assist and help those who are behind. mmos need a community to thrive. you want to be entertained without having to create your own from time to time. think beyond your own three foot radius.

i think that more than anything is the damage WoW has done to the MMO genre as a whole.

This may be news to you, but there have been other MMOs released where a significant chunk of the player population doesn not hit max level in less than a month and exhausts available endgame content in less than 2 months.

This may be news to you, but there have been other MMOs released where a significant chunk of the player population doesn not hit max level in less than a month and exhausts available endgame content in less than 2 months.

Honestly, I haven't seen an MMO released in the last 4 or 5 years that didn't have people complaining within 2 months that they've done everything.

I'm not saying they're not out there, but I've honestly not seen it in any MMO I've played.

Edited by Vecke

That'd be news to me. Well, yeah, I know there are a few that drag out the leveling process a lot longer, and make content that isn't beaten within a week or two, but I think most of those have fossilized by now.

then that significant "chunk" as you call it, is doing it wrong. you dont slam a whiskey that has been aging for a significant portion of time, with people who worked on that whiskey so you can savor and enjoy it.

again i say, mmos are not for these people who would rather race through content to get to the end, than to take their time and appreciate things.

My problem isn't really that I've "beaten everything". I still do operations every week, I'm still progressing there, I haven't beaten the game. I just don't really have anything to do when I'm not operating. But yeah, this format just might not work for me, or my guild.

Vanguard promised the hardest levelling experience of any game ever. It was it's key selling point. OLD SCHOOL hard they said.

And it was. Holy crap was it ever. Didn't stop some guy from getting 50 in 3 days, but ... yeah. It was hard.

This game is not hard. It's key selling point is accessibly. So yeah, not so shocked people reached max level very quickly. A lot of people, seeing a lot of people play.

If you have 12 hours to play a day and want this game to be the sole source of entertainment for that time and you are not willing to alt or PVP, you're simply out of luck man. Game wasn't made for you. Was made for people who play 10 hours a week.

Get over it. Play ME3 in the day time and log on to hang out with friends and raid.

Edited by lexiekaboom

My problem isn't really that I've "beaten everything". I still do operations every week, I'm still progressing there, I haven't beaten the game. I just don't really have anything to do when I'm not operating. But yeah, this format just might not work for me, or my guild.

properly said! in future additions to this game you may find things easier to satiate you. but as the game has just launched, and they wanted to make sure the "basic" game is in place and running without setting the server farm on fire, i am positive there will be things that will be much better.

anyone remember the birth of D&D? i still have the basic box set, purple in color, from 1980-81. that was just to make sure the system works, then they added more by releasing the expert ruleset, and then culminated in AD&D.

this approach does not change over time. start with foundation and add things on as time goes by.

i hope you do find more to do with this game, but as it is, you have to make your own at some point.

Well according to some people, you should be arriving at level 25 or so right about now. Otherwise, you've steamrolled through the content and not savored its goodness. Of course, there is a reason these same people aren't working at major game developers, since this flies in the face of "typical" gaming behavior since the advent of Nintendo. At least in other games, the attempt to slow progression to hide a poor endgame was veiled with attunement quests, short trash respawns, and gear checks.

It's devolved into the peanut gallery telling us that we actually need to play the game at a different speed than intended--not even normal, but slower than expected. Also note, that I have yet to find any developer blog, game mechanic, or bullet point in the game manual, that even so much as hints at a leveling speed limit. Why is that?

Not recently there fella.

Nice try though.

Game is a dud...

Perception is in the eyes of the individual. Perception also distorts reality to meet the individuals particular bias. All individuals are biased about everything to one degree or another.

Exit ------------------------------------->

;)

Not recently there fella.

Nice try though.

I'm not the one who arbitrarily put "recent". If you want to compare swtor to train wrecks like STO and other garbage that's your choice.

Maybe it's not a coincidence WoW is the top dog and EQ1 is still online.

Again, I've not seen a single MMO released in the last 5 years that didn't have people on the forums within 2 months complaining that they have done everything in the game.

Again, the problem isnt with the game, it is the mindset of today's player. rush rush rush is the way to win win win. nonsense. thats the way to lose lose lose.

unfortunately, im not sure how to revert these players' way of thinking.

It's devolved into the peanut gallery telling us that we actually need to play the game at a different speed than intended--not even normal, but slower than expected. Also note, that I have yet to find any developer blog, game mechanic, or bullet point in the game manual, that even so much as hints at a leveling speed limit. Why is that?

lmao.

Distort what other people say much?? Yep, you do.

Actually, Bioware stated many times that they designed the game to provide ~200 hours of game play from 1-50. The average player plays 10-15 hours per week in their average MMO. I'm sure you can do the math from there and figure out what that means in terms of calendar weeks from 1-50.

And of course many people actually do take their time, not just power level to cap ASAP, and roll alts early in the games life cycle to try different classes, etc. etc.

Your results may very well vary from others. I know that might be shocking, but it is real life. You can scan a server population demographic on your own and you will find that the player populations covers a bell curve distribution, centered around level 30-35 as of this week. Pick any server, take 5-10 minutes and do the exercise for yourself. It's probably another 6-8 weeks before the bell curve skews noticably to the 50 end of the level range.

Well according to some people, you should be arriving at level 25 or so right about now. Otherwise, you've steamrolled through the content and not savored its goodness. Of course, there is a reason these same people aren't working at major game developers, since this flies in the face of "typical" gaming behavior since the advent of Nintendo. At least in other games, the attempt to slow progression to hide a poor endgame was veiled with attunement quests, short trash respawns, and gear checks.

Seriously. I definately didn't rush through anything, and did every quest on my way to 50.

I even did most of the bonus series' each planet before leaving given that I could solo a lot of stuff 5 levels higher than me anyway.

I fully revealed every map on every planet before leaving.

I did every heroic quest on every planet up to about Voss at which point I couldn't find people to group with so I skipped them until 50.

I tabbed through nothing except alient voices because I can read faster than those long pauses when aliens (and utility droids) talk.

I got all my crafting and mission skills to 400 before hitting 50.

I did every flashpoint on the way to 50, though some I had outlevelled when I did them.

I got every datacron on every planet before leaving.

I hit 50 four weeks after release. I certainly didn't rush through the game, and I cannot fathom how anybody could level so slowly that they are still below 40 after I've been 50 for over 3 weeks.

Edited by Gungan

I'm not the one who arbitrarily put "recent". If you want to compare swtor to train wrecks like STO and other garbage that's your choice.

Rift. Recent, and the power levelers were level capping inside 2 weeks, then sitting around the captial city whining.

There has not been a new MMO (disregarding the Korean grinders) with an artificially slow leveling curve since WoW released.

Stop whining and go play a Korean grinder. That will slow you down nicely, if that's your thing.

Again, the problem isnt with the game, it is the mindset of today's player. rush rush rush is the way to win win win. nonsense. thats the way to lose lose lose.

Exactly.

@ techslave

I think your answer is terribly disinformed about MMO habits and ways, and disrespectful of other ways of enjoying and living the game.

The majoy aspect of an mmorpg is usually the sense of living in a world. One that goes on even when u are not there. If everybody on this virtual world were to be doing the exact same thing (or/and look the same: like 1 class 1 look) nobody would feel as if its a world where things happen besides from you. Its nice to be doing a fp knowing theres people who are pvping, others who are oping, basically many different people (or gorups of) looking for different things from their game.

forgetting this in a mmorpg, is eliminating the Massive Multiplayer Online component..

respect other peoples desire from the game because it is this that provides you witht he diversity u need to feel unique.. which is what you are trying to do when gearing up (look more unique/rare).

the fact that the poster has dashed through content, does not mean he is "doing it worng".

in fact he abides more to the mmo player cliche than you do.

this game has widened mmos to a more casual audience. more than wow, and it is very friendly to "RL" needs compared to what wow was in vanilla days. Just consider that to become a Marshal in vanilla wow (it was the highest rank for pvp) people would share 1 account and play pvp 24/7. That is how comeptitive it was, and im sorry go back to the forums of those days to check out how much space and empathy was left for the casual player who had time issues.

Swtor does much for the casual player, to begin with the fact that its more viable to reroll to experience new game content rather than do end game, is testimony just to that.

the "tradidtional" mmorpg community is weloming to these new casuals, and to a less time sucking approach, however IT IS the DD's who want to rush trough content, and keep pulling before tanks, skipping dialogues avoid marking targets and discussing boss tacs that are the odd ones out.

what im saying is, you are very welcome to join the mmo world and its comunity, just leave your banking/yuppie attitude out of the game..

See my previous post. I certainly did not rush rush rush anything. You people are blindly slow. It's like you're not playing at all. That is the only explanation for what is taking you so long.

Obviously you were not around for the release of Vanilla WoW they had rant threads and other **** going on exactly like Swtor....Nerdy *** kids who did nothing but skip school and play wow for 15+ hours a day to max out and start raiding..It's exactly what happened to this game.Over many releases such as expansions content drops and all that good stuff the game will get better..BW cannot make everysingle *********** customer happy there are too many of them.They do their best.Ofc if you can make a better game that makes an international customer base happy lmk and i will def go play it. until then try not to pretend you have the slightest clue *** is going on,

Swtor does much for the casual player, to begin with the fact that its more viable to reroll to experience new game content rather than do end game, is testimony just to that.

Except that is only viable once: when you reroll on the other faction. Rerolling on the same faction results in 5 unique class quests per planet, and 95% content ou've already done.