lethality any good?

Philjr

Short answer: No

Long answer: Lethality is only good for PvE Raiding Boss Damage. The problem is that the rotation needed to pump damage is SLLLLOOOOOOWWWW. It opens a bit like this (when running in, which is why Shiv is later in the rotation): CorrDart, CorrGrenade, Shiv (for TA), Weakening Blast, Cull.

As you can see, you're on GCD 5 before you really get rolling.

Now keep in mind that Shiv, CorrDart and CorrGren need to be kep up at all times, and their cooldowns are all different. This makes sustaining the rotation wonky (but still doable)

All this, and you have to operate essentially in melee to use Shiv to proc TA.

So, its viable, but because it takes forever to get going, you can only really maximize on long fights (aka raid bosses). In every other role, the tree is extremely weak.

Edit: Math on Sithwarrior.com even shows in boss fights, Conc damage is on par with lethality (depending on fight type). So why gimp everything else when Conc does ths job?

Side note, but important: in PvP you're highly susceptable to ONE DoT clearing abiility, since all your abilities need to be rolling to maximise your Culls/Blasts. As a PvP Ops Healer, I have yet to see ANYONE run with a Lethality spec in a WZ, but if I ever did, I'm confident that I'd roll them easily since I know where my Tox Screen button is.

Edited by Doki

You definitely need some Lethality points = at least up to combat stim for PVE, or you get serious energy problems on boss fights and will be auto-attacking them.

PVP burst is much more important so Concealment wins here clearly.

The lethality spec is really awkward for PVP because you need to get in close to shiv to use most of your abilities (which are ranged) the damage is over too long a time, which gives your opponents more time to be healed or escape.

@Doki : Numbers on sithwarrior are wrong. They underestimate lethality energy regen for nearly 1/1s, they also don't use backstab (which is an excellent filler) and a lot too many cull (which is about as energy efficient as backstab anyway) because of stim boost spamming. That said, lethality DPS is one of the hardest to pull perfectly.

As of PvP, you actually need incisive action more than shiv (and yes you do very good burst too). People just need to adapt and understand you are not concealment (and yet they don't -_-).

Nevermind sithwarrior's output, that doesn't seem right. Anyways, with an 18/0/23 build you can put kolto probes on yourself and friendlies and get TA procs without the need of an initial shiv. I do fairly well in pvp with it.

As others said, it involves a different playstyle.