Balancing DPS

Clayburn

What's the best way to spec a DPS? Is it worth focusing on Critical and Surge, or is Power more important. And aside from doing damage, how important is Endurance, Defense Rating (what does this actually do?) and Accuracy? Doing damage isn't any good if I can't hit the target or I die too soon. So, how do I figure out a good mix?

What class are you? Also with the surge nerf I think someone did some math and overall power may be the key winner. Also it'd be easier to mod towards power too. Endurance isn't too important if you're looking at PvE since the rakata/columi gear you get should be enough for you. Defense is a tanking stat for PvE. Accuracy I believe is if you get +10 you should be good. However it depends on what class you are because I don't think Sorc/Sage dps need accuracy.

It depends on your class and skill tree. If you have abilities that grant you automatic crits, Surge is a good option, since your crits will do more damage. Critical rating itself will increase your chances of delivering critical hits. Power does more damage all the time, so is a great choice for sustained damage skills.

Similarly, Accuracy will decrease the chance of your attacks missing, Defense will increase the chance of parrying/dodging an attack, while Shield rating will increase the chance that damage gets absorbed if you wear a shield.

Your critical chance will reach a soft cap at 30%. After that the diminsihing returns kicks in and each additional percent of crit chance will cost more and more crit rating per 1% to have.

So below 30% critical chance, it is usually better to have more critical rating than power, but above 30% it gets rather quickly to the point where it is better to get power than any more critical rating.

And no, you should not have defense rating as a dps.

Edited by Eternalnight

Stick to your main 2 stats for any dps char.

Your off stats should be crit

if your force user then power for more damage over crit.

Accuracy is for all chars. Its whats letting you hit things. 90-100% is the goal and super easy to hit without trying.

Edited by HumanSheild

It's just that I seem to die really quickly, in PVP and PVE. I got medpacks and a defense shield ability, but they don't help all that much. Is that just the way it goes playing DPS?

Can you elaborate for us?

What class are you?

What's your gear like - ie, you keeping it up to date?

Are you using any control abilities, interrupts, in your basic combat strategy?

Is your companion's gear up to date?

Have you tried switching companions - perhaps to a tank companion, or a healer companion?