It really feels like Marksman Snipers should have a combat-opening damage boost.

All_Under_Heaven

To clarify, I mean a possible Marksman skill/ability like this (theorycrafting ahead):

High Ground

All shots made while/from out-of-combat have their damage increased by 15%.

[Please keep in mind 15% is just a number. I could only leave it up to Bioware to determine the correct percentage.]

As a Sniper, if I can make my first shot without being noticed (out of combat), I should be able to be more accurate and cause more damage.

I feel as though this could facilitate a better experience for all Snipers. It would generally make questing much easier, since an increased Ambush would guarantee one out a standard group of mobs dying instantly.

And in terms of PVP combat, this could be a temporary fix to MM's lackluster player-vs-player performance.

Please feel free to share your thoughts/feeling about a possible mechanic like this.

-A

I like this idea,

It wouldn't help with raiding/flashpoints since you're always in combat and never attacking first. It would be useful in pvp and not overpowered even if you made it 20% because its only going to apply once to ambush per fight ( our best surprise attack ) plus opportunity cost on damage and utility (abilities that could be being used while you're trying to get out of combat to use this ability). And its easily countered by watching for snipers and putting them in combat.

Put it high in marksman tree and call it improved ambush.

Wat? Is this thread serious?

I already crit for up to 6k on ambush AFTER the surge nerf. Add Explosive Probe and Laze Snapshot Snipe to that and we already can open up for like 10k+ damage burst...

We easily have the best opening burst, besides operatives (and I am not sure about that besides part to be honest).

I thought we already have:

Ambush + Instant Snipe (inc Laze Target) + Followthrough as our opening? Most PvP players run away from me after that sick burst

And you used 41 Energy. You will have enough left for three Snipes. But would you like to use any different abilities in that time? What if your opponent has Heavy Armor or a mitigation ability, and one or more of your Snipes is negated?

The idea is to increase that first chunk of damage so we can follow up with more options, and then have the Energy left over to have a fair chance of finishing an equal player. I use Leg Shot all the time in PVP, but it cuts into my rotation and energy. So I either choose to control my target and hope that he/she's a klutz, or just pump DPS in a race to the kill.

I like this idea,

It wouldn't help with raiding/flashpoints since you're always in combat and never attacking first. It would be useful in pvp and not overpowered even if you made it 20% because its only going to apply once to ambush per fight ( our best surprise attack ) plus opportunity cost on damage and utility (abilities that could be being used while you're trying to get out of combat to use this ability). And its easily countered by watching for snipers and putting them in combat.

Put it high in marksman tree and call it improved ambush.

That's the point, since Snipers are actually fairly stable in current high-end PVE content. I though of this during questing, because I felt like I wasn't really sniping. If my Ambush crit, it would usually one-shot a standard mob, but without a crit, I would still have a group of 3-4 mobs that are now trying to kill me. Marksman doesn't focus on crowd control and damage over time, just fat, chunky shots that blast things away. The High Ground mechanic would add that spec-specific ability to instantly remove one mob from a group before the fight starts, like a true Sniper.

And that's the beauty of High Ground in a PVP setting. It's not something that every Marksman will always get. It's a damage buff to those Snipers who put a little more effort into planning out their attack. If I charge straight forward, cover, and start firing, of course someone is going to make it there mission to brain me.

But if I plan ahead, attempt to mask my approach, possibly duck behind a pillar first, or use terrain to my advantage (High Ground), then I've earned my Damage bonus.

I originally thought of 20% as well, but when you use that figure, people automatically see +1/5 damage, and blow a fuse because they think it's overpowered. I chose 15% to (hopefully) avoid that.

Good to see positive and critical reception to this.

And you used 41 Energy. You will have enough left for three Snipes. But would you like to use any different abilities in that time? What if your opponent has Heavy Armor or a mitigation ability, and one or more of your Snipes is negated?

And what if your opponent has none of that? Will it be balanced for someone to eat 7k Ambush and all which follows after that?

If your original intention was dealing with armor and deflects - do just that. Instead of damage boost give that shot 20% Armor Penetration and make it always hit.

I thought we already have:

Ambush + Instant Snipe (inc Laze Target) + Followthrough as our opening? Most PvP players run away from me after that sick burst

I think you mean Ambush + Explosive Probe, then Followthrough, then filler, then instant snipe, then another Followthrough.

I think you mean Ambush + Explosive Probe, then Followthrough, then filler, then instant snipe, then another Followthrough.

Ah yes..only recently that I realise the power of Explosive Probe :D haven't been using one because I always saw the energy meter dropped quite significantly after using it

(then found out it's the same cost as snipe)

I use crappy crit/surge/power stuff to actually do damage. I find 95% Base Accuracy being all what I really need in PvP...

With the amount of Inquisitors and Consulars in the game, i feel the need for 10% (100% base acc) sadly... I hate RNG, and they all have 10% defense chance instead of 5%. Tank gear being even higher of course.

With the amount of Inquisitors and Consulars in the game, i feel the need for 10% (100% base acc) sadly... I hate RNG, and they all have 10% defense chance instead of 5%. Tank gear being even higher of course.

Consider this: Sorcs/Consulars are probably the easiest AC to stomp as a Sniper, that 5% chance to delay the inevitable is not doing much overall.

Assassins/Shadows, on the other hand are the tough ones and when they pop their defense CD you won't be hitting them much anyway, making your accuracy just as useless at 110% as it is at 105%. Same story with tanks.

So as you see, overall there is no real difference between 105% and 110% accuracy, but with 110% accuracy you HAVE to sacrifice you damage on EVERYTHING.

Basically, you screw yourself for 100% of the time, just to not fail 5% of the time, which mostly do not matter due to the reasons above to begin with.

To clarify, I mean a possible Marksman skill/ability like this (theorycrafting ahead):

High Ground

All shots made while/from out-of-combat have their damage increased by 15%.

[Please keep in mind 15% is just a number. I could only leave it up to Bioware to determine the correct percentage.]

As a Sniper, if I can make my first shot without being noticed (out of combat), I should be able to be more accurate and cause more damage.

I feel as though this could facilitate a better experience for all Snipers. It would generally make questing much easier, since an increased Ambush would guarantee one out a standard group of mobs dying instantly.

And in terms of PVP combat, this could be a temporary fix to MM's lackluster player-vs-player performance.

Please feel free to share your thoughts/feeling about a possible mechanic like this.

-A

my sniper already completely destroys most people in PVP, why would you give us MORE damage?

once a sniper gets a decent wep and a few pieces of pvp gear, they start the decimate everything in PVP. adding a 15% 'sneak attack' buff would only make them OP