Legacy of the Force Questions

Flowstrodamus

So I started reading the Legacy of the Force series after I spoiled it for myself by reading it all on Wikipedia -_-

but I noticed some I guess you could call them timeline problems

Han was born 29 BBY and Legacy of the Force takes place 40 ABY which means that Han is 69 years old. In Bloodlines (the book I am on currently) he says something after dodging an assassination attempt about all of this being difficult when he was 60. I was letting that slide, could just mean IN his 60s.

In the first book Ben considers his parents middle aged. Luke was born 19 BBY making him 59 and Mara Jade is born 17 BBY making her 57.

Boba Fett says he is 71 and he was born 31 BBY, which then makes sense. However he talks about how he is getting older and dying. They do say this could attributed to the fact that he is a clone.

What I am confused by is how everyones still running and gunning when they're in their (almost) 60s and 70s? Is it because medicine is more advanced at this time leading to a longer life expectancy or is it just something the writers all overlooked to make a better story? (I don't blame em, if half the book was Han and Boba playing cards in a nursing home that would be a pretty boring book, funny, but boring)

I was just wondering if anyone had an explanation or if someone knew if the authors have discussed this in an interview or something

the force is the real culprit, force sensitive or not it still flows into all life forms and as the great Plageius said, midichlorians speak with the force with or without being told to do so by the person, in turn the force reacts to them and grants a species it's lifespan, its innate defenses against the force, or even if genetic material is clone able.

The force is the ultimate layer of answering any question within the star wars universe, it's both cruel and forgiving, and seeks to constantly find a center within itself wand will do everything in it's power to balance itself out, from sith miraculous conception of thought bombs to wipe themselves out, to the chosen one being born to kill Plagueis and Sidious who pushed once to hard on the force with their darkness.

people wonder why Vader lost to Obi wan, it's simple really, the force was balancing the scales at the time. The moment Sidious won his duel, anakin was doomed to lose his. As far as G-cannon was concerned the force balanced itself, powerful Sith master Palpatine = Powerful Jedi master Yoda, Powerful righthand Vader = powerful right hand Obi Wan. Obi wans death served to ensure balance was even kept at that moment, Luke taking his place and becoming a jedi knight. In the end when Yoda died, it was only natural that Palpatine was going to follow soon, the force would like dominos fall into place and ensure that palpatine would die.

All this goes back into your question about aging and the inconsistencies seen throughout EU media, if the force has need of you, things will go your way. Medical treatments work better than they should, something new is brought to make you better, blah blah blah.

They actually answered this question in one of the novels. Don't remember if it was in the Legacy series or Fate.

Basically they stated that medical technology kept people fitter and living longer. Han is pushing 70, but they said if he took care of himself he has like another thirty active years left.

Pelleon was in his 90s and still relatively spry.

As for Luke, he is a Jedi Master, they just live longer than contemporaries without the force. He is in his 60s but faster and stronger than he ever has.

They had to come up with a way to help "suspend belief" so we can still enjoy our trilogy characters well into middle/old age. For the most part, the new generation (while having some pretty cool characters) couldn't carry the continuing Saga.

Case in point was the New Jedi Order. Most of the Trilogy characters took backseat to their children and apprentices, but many Star Wars fans were just waiting for Luke to finally get off his butt and do something.

the force is the real culprit, force sensitive or not it still flows into all life forms and as the great Plageius said, midichlorians speak with the force with or without being told to do so by the person, in turn the force reacts to them and grants a species it's lifespan, its innate defenses against the force, or even if genetic material is clone able.

The force is the ultimate layer of answering any question within the star wars universe, it's both cruel and forgiving, and seeks to constantly find a center within itself wand will do everything in it's power to balance itself out, from sith miraculous conception of thought bombs to wipe themselves out, to the chosen one being born to kill Plagueis and Sidious who pushed once to hard on the force with their darkness.

people wonder why Vader lost to Obi wan, it's simple really, the force was balancing the scales at the time. The moment Sidious won his duel, anakin was doomed to lose his. As far as G-cannon was concerned the force balanced itself, powerful Sith master Palpatine = Powerful Jedi master Yoda, Powerful righthand Vader = powerful right hand Obi Wan. Obi wans death served to ensure balance was even kept at that moment, Luke taking his place and becoming a jedi knight. In the end when Yoda died, it was only natural that Palpatine was going to follow soon, the force would like dominos fall into place and ensure that palpatine would die.

All this goes back into your question about aging and the inconsistencies seen throughout EU media, if the force has need of you, things will go your way. Medical treatments work better than they should, something new is brought to make you better, blah blah blah.

Not to mention that Sidious was (After Maul getting downsized) the only (known) sith in the galaxy, the amount of karma on his side made it easy for him to just off the competition, even if it took him a while.

This is not the balance Lucas was talking about. The number of Jedi/Sith (one palps-yoda, one Kenobi-Vader has nothing to do with it.

You are right that the prophecy and the birth of Anakin is the force's response to the Sith's manipulation of the midichlorians.

Lucas himself has said that the Sith/dark side, is like a cancer in the Force. By balancing it it is removing the sickness to be healthy again.

But if the force is life, then it must naturally have its dark side in death.

Anabolism - Catabolism

Stability - Change

Life - Death

The "cancer in the force" theory is probably more related to the stability between the two, if the dark side is used too much everything dies and what is not killed is twisted and consumed, but if the light side becomes too dominant life will stagnate, and all will be overrun by nature, which in the end will cause just as much suffering that the other side could bring, only slower.

Arguably, 59 and 57 could be considered "middle-aged" even in our world. Granted, its in the later part of middle aged, but if you look at 'old-age' as being the retired period of ones life, then some people aren't reaching it until 60 or 65.

Beyond that, yes, medical technology is better, and Force-Users tend to live longer than average lives (or so we're told).

Frankly, its hard to figure out exactly what an average life span is in the Star Wars Universe, since we only ever see 1 character die of old age in the movies. And Yoda was a totally different species, and living on Dagobah, with no access to advanced medical equipment.

Karen Traviss is the real culprit. She's going to make you rage if you know anything at all about the lore or previous book series.

But the average life span for Pure Strain Humans (no Alien DNA mucking up the numbers) in Star Wars is around 150 if I'm remembering correctly.

Edited by Aximand

Arguably, 59 and 57 could be considered "middle-aged" even in our world. Granted, its in the later part of middle aged, but if you look at 'old-age' as being the retired period of ones life, then some people aren't reaching it until 60 or 65.

Beyond that, yes, medical technology is better, and Force-Users tend to live longer than average lives (or so we're told).

Frankly, its hard to figure out exactly what an average life span is in the Star Wars Universe, since we only ever see 1 character die of old age in the movies. And Yoda was a totally different species, and living on Dagobah, with no access to advanced medical equipment.

And 900 years old he was, hmm!

I have not read or really got into any of the series outside of the movies as I originally fealt as they were people just trying to cash in on Star Wars and had no relavancy to the Saga.

But after playing Kotor, Kotor II, and now SWTOR, the relvancy becomes more apparant and I am beginning to look at these "add on" parts to the saga.

But after reading the posts here, one thing is clear I think, and I know its a topic that gets touched on all the time, and that is the fact there a great deal of the community want to know what really happened after Vader floated off on the burning raft under the Moonlight River on Endor.

Was he sent away as Anakin Skywalker? Or as Darth Vader.

Luke looked very "Dark" towards the end, In my opinion. All the other Jedi wore Robes etc, Luke adopted a black outfit, a cross between Vader and a flightsuit.

The point Im making is, despite what George Lucas feels, there is enough interest out there for the supposed final 3 films.

Being an Older Aged Fan of the Saga, I remember interviews when Lucas stated that the first presented script was way too long for a movie and was told it read more like a Space Opera, he then cut it down to 9 parts, and the best 3 selected for the films, originally.

I still cling to the ever fading hope of seeming the final 3 made, and I think if the 3D re-run shows George that there is still plenty of the Greenback to be made from the series, it may happen, which would then inturn explain the age of all the characters.... :D

That would be awesome, but if he were to make 3 more movies as sequels I guess you would call them he would have to do one of two things;

1.) Do his own thing and completely disregard all the EU as G-Canon takes precedence. This would probably piss off a lot of fans. But hes done that before. Anyone who read the Republic Commando novels and then saw how Lucas portrayed Mandalorians in the Clone Wars TV show knows exactly what I am talking about.

2.) Follow the EU, the only problem is that there is SO much. He wouldn't be able to stop, and if he did where does he start and where does he end? Thrawn, NJO, LOTF, FOTJ? It would be really, really difficult for him to do. Of course he also wants to make his TV show that he wanted to have 400 hours of (1 hour episodes, so 400 episodes).

Unfortunately there probably won't be any new Star Wars movies for a very long time, if there ever is any

That would be awesome, but if he were to make 3 more movies as sequels I guess you would call them he would have to do one of two things;

1.) Do his own thing and completely disregard all the EU as G-Canon takes precedence. This would probably piss off a lot of fans. But hes done that before. Anyone who read the Republic Commando novels and then saw how Lucas portrayed Mandalorians in the Clone Wars TV show knows exactly what I am talking about.

2.) Follow the EU, the only problem is that there is SO much. He wouldn't be able to stop, and if he did where does he start and where does he end? Thrawn, NJO, LOTF, FOTJ? It would be really, really difficult for him to do. Of course he also wants to make his TV show that he wanted to have 400 hours of (1 hour episodes, so 400 episodes).

Unfortunately there probably won't be any new Star Wars movies for a very long time, if there ever is any

Just do the Thrawn series. That would make a good movie trilogy if it was done right. The problem is most book to movie adaptions are absolute crap (Eragon, anyone? I think the author of the Inheritance Cycle actually separated the movie from the book series it was so bad).

Lord of the Rings was actually pretty good, having read the books during school. I also had to read the Hobbit, so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Million-DOllar Baby was a great film too that was based on a book.

But thats Clint Eastwood, and I doubt he would touch SW. :(

OP, not sure anyone has really answered your question so I'll jump in and get it. In the EU it's widely known that Lucas has passed down that no one is able to touch what is referred to as "The BIG 3". Luke, Leia and Han. They're untouchable, they cannot suffer any permanent disfigurement or death. That's leading to some huge problems in the EU because, yes, they're 70+ and fighting like they're young still. It's getting pretty bad.

Writers have tried to slowly phase them out and make their children the focus of the stories, but they're still in, fighting with the best of them. It will come to a head eventually, but right now it's a fairly obvious problem that you yourself have noticed.

Edit: Just to add, Boba Fett, while not in the big three, is such a fan favorite that they're afraid to touch him too. In that series specifically, he is Karen Traviss' favorite character and the whole reason he and the Mandalorians are within it(She loves the Mandalorians). People raged out so hard after Chewbacca's death that killing movie characters off is taboo now.

Edited by FuriousJimmy

OP, not sure anyone has really answered your question so I'll jump in and get it. In the EU it's widely known that Lucas has passed down that no one is able to touch what is referred to as "The BIG 3". Luke, Leia and Han. They're untouchable, they cannot suffer any permanent disfigurement or death. That's leading to some huge problems in the EU because, yes, they're 70+ and fighting like they're young still. It's getting pretty bad.

Writers have tried to slowly phase them out and make their children the focus of the stories, but they're still in, fighting with the best of them. It will come to a head eventually, but right now it's a fairly obvious problem that you yourself have noticed.

Edit: Just to add, Boba Fett, while not in the big three, is such a fan favorite that they're afraid to touch him too. In that series specifically, he is Karen Traviss' favorite character and the whole reason he and the Mandalorians are within it(She loves the Mandalorians). People raged out so hard after Chewbacca's death that killing movie characters off is taboo now.

Also: the average age for humans in Star Wars is around 150. So Han, Luke and Leia are actually somewhat young still. The only reason Sidious looked so old and decrepit so early on is because he was an evil SOB and the Darkside was weathering his body faster.

Also: the average age for humans in Star Wars is around 150. So Han, Luke and Leia are actually somewhat young still. The only reason Sidious looked so old and decrepit so early on is because he was an evil SOB and the Darkside was weathering his body faster.

and I guess Obi-wan looked old as **** from living in the desert cause he was only 57 in ANH... he should have invested in some skin moisturizer

and I guess Obi-wan looked old as **** from living in the desert cause he was only 57 in ANH... he should have invested in some skin moisturizer

Actually I think that's the reason given in Canon. And he didn't have access to most state of the art medical facilities like the Skywalkers and Solos did.

]Karen Traviss is the real culprit. She's going to make you rage if you know anything at all about the lore or previous book series.[/u]

But the average life span for Pure Strain Humans (no Alien DNA mucking up the numbers) in Star Wars is around 150 if I'm remembering correctly.

I own over 50 SW novels as well as a 501st member of 10 years. So i'll ask you the same thing i ask all the KT haters who crawl out of thier hole....prove it.

Or are you just another bathrobe blower who hates the fact that she showed the SW universe from a veiw that wasnt jedi / sith?

Edited by TKMaster

I own over 50 SW novels as well as a 501st member of 10 years. So i'll ask you the same thing i ask all the KT haters who crawl out of thier hole....prove it.

Or are you just another bathrobe blower who hates the fact that she showed the SW universe from a veiw that wasnt jedi / sith?

Read YodaKenobi's review on this website.

Points out everything that Traviss did wrong, the vast majority of it was because of her willful ignorance of the greater Star Wars Universe (she has proudly stated that her novels are the only Star Wars books she's ever read), but also of her complete disregard for what came before her.

I see Vader as a tragic character who's been betrayed by everyone, and I can't help thinking of the Jedi as self-serving unelected elitist spoon-benders making whoopee on Republic taxpayers' credits. It's an iconoclastic journo world-view. Believe me, Order 66 was long overdue. I have a couple of Jedi that I don't want to shoot on sight, but they're my own creations, so I could make them a little humbler and more aware of the consequences they create for others.

Genocide is just tops, isn't it? What was your guys' favorite part of Order 66? Mine was when the little kids get slaughtered.

The above is one of my favorite parts.

She never gave a "different point of view", she gave her point of view, and anyone that didn't conform to what she perceived as a good character, was made to conform or died, most notably Mara Jade when Traviss' main reason for killing her off was because she was a, and I quote "pathetic Jedi".

P.S. The fact that you used the insult "Bathrobe" to refer to Force Users and think its witty, greatly diminished any credibility you had with me, which wasn't much to start with.

Edited by Aximand

She never gave a "different point of view", she gave her point of view, and anyone that didn't conform to what she perceived as a good character, was made to conform or died, most notably Mara Jade when Traviss' main reason for killing her off was because she was a, and I quote "pathetic Jedi".

While I'm not a large KT fan, killing off Mara Jade wasn't entirely up to her. Her colleagues and Del Ray's Star Wars connections had to agree to the killing. And there wasn't a lot of options. They're not allowed to touch Luke, Han or Leia, it's unlikely they'll kill off more children that they just recently started building up, and Jaina had already been built up as a prophecized character with a destiny. That really only leaves Tenel Ka as a character that meant squat to Jacen.

Mara Jade was a logical choice really given the large amount of restrictions placed on who can be touched.

Edit: Also going to throw out there that Wookieepedia(while sometimes inaccurate), states the Average Human Lifespan is 100 years. I've never seen anything contradictory to this. If anyone has a better source, I'd like to see it.

Edited by FuriousJimmy