Starting Zones are heavily favoured toward sith.

KiaThas

Perhaps there are several previous posts pointing this out.

(I did a character each side because I was torn between the two)

But while levelling through 1-10 on my jedi knight and sith warrior i noted that the jedi's have a significantly longer time in starting planets.

I have pictures to prove this.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/coffeeblack1/?action=view&current=Jedi1-10length.png

This is my knight timing.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/coffeeblack1/?action=view&current=Sith1-10.png

This is my warrior timing.

See how it takes longer than 2 times.

And I will point out i space barred every single conversation possible.

So even +/- 10% each way the timing is severely uneven.

You may also believe I sat in the fleet for 2 hours to prove a point, but honestly im not that sad.

I've also rolled a consular and inquisitor and noted that consular took far longer.

But my Inquisitor is 32 and my consular is now 50.

And it may be evened out by the 2 other starting planets (trooper/Smuggler - Bounty Hunter/Agent).

But I also have a level 14 agent and I can tell you that doesn't take long at all (approximately 3 hours) as the last 4 levels are pretty much heroics, again I space-barred.

And as-well as this black talon is about 1/2 the length of essles.

I just fail to understand why this is so if devs neglected the republic side in many other aspect why they would lengthen the starting areas a significant amount of time longer.

Care not, then apologies for wasting your time.

Edited by KiaThas

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Korriban is by far the shortest starting planet. The placement of the quests and the objectives are done so well that there is hardly any wasted space. I'm pretty sure Korriban is physically the smallest Origin World.

The planet does seem to be a lot more fluent even the taxi's are placed well etc.

But its apparent in the xp gained via bonuses, the bonuses average at 750xp im guessing where as on tython they must give about 300xp on average.

My warrior levelled up to 2 in about 4 kills, took my knight 11 kills plus the quest turn in.

For a casual, it took me an avg 2 weeks of playing 2 hours every night to complete the Tython quests for Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular separately. It was so painful that I will never reroll these classes ever again.

I compare Swtor Tython to WoW's Barrens. There seems to be extreme favoritism shown towards the Imperial/Empire faction.

So, wait... I'm confused.

Jedi get MORE content (it took you longer to play through it, even though you spacebarred conversations), and this means Bioware favors Sith?

Doesn't this mean that there's more gameplay per level for Jedi than Sith? Wouldn't that be favoring the Jedi? ("Hey, I just noticed we've got a lot more Republic content than Empire content for the starting worlds." "No problem, just kick up the XP gain per quest so they don't notice it's missing. What are they going to do? TIME how long it takes to show there's more stuff to do as a Jedi? Who'd do THAT?")

What am I missing here? How is lesscontent a goodthing?

Did I misread the times you posted? I've double-checked, but I'm capable of admitting I could still have missed something. Clarify, please?

Korriban is much, much more dense than Tython, in terms of both quest layout and sheer area of travel.

They've also minimized the amount of world trash mobs to kill or avoid quite nicely on Korriban. It's a very, very efficient newbie zone.

I doubt the disparity is intentional, however. Probably the result of different design teams.

You clearly missread the post.

I ask the question why does it take longer to level up (i.e more content) whilst the empire heavily in other regions of the game.

Whilst more content is good, it is good to get off a planet, and as a previous post points out its actually painfully slow, korriban is fluent and efficient and whole more pleasant.

Jedi get MORE content (it took you longer to play through it, even though you spacebarred conversations), and this means Bioware favors Sith?

Doesn't this mean that there's more gameplay per level for Jedi than Sith? Wouldn't that be favoring the Jedi? ("Hey, I just noticed we've got a lot more Republic content than Empire content for the starting worlds." "No problem, just kick up the XP gain per quest so they don't notice it's missing. What are they going to do? TIME how long it takes to show there's more stuff to do as a Jedi? Who'd do THAT?")

Did I misread the times you posted? I've double-checked, but I'm capable of admitting I could still have missed something. Clarify, please?

You didn't miss anything. Less content = favored to the OP.

For a casual, it took me an avg 2 weeks of playing 2 hours every night to complete the Tython quests for Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular separately. It was so painful that I will never reroll these classes ever again.

I compare Swtor Tython to WoW's Barrens. There seems to be extreme favoritism shown towards the Imperial/Empire faction.

28 hours really? Think you might be lying just a little bit there. I could make a sith and afk for 100 hours and then say that it takes longer as a sith than jedi.

Now I do think sith is quicker because of the more compact area that means less running from hub to hub but I can level almost 10 jedi to the fleet in the time you said it took you.

If they removed all the speeder points from Drommund Kaas, would that be 'adding content'? what if they increased the number of mobs required to kill for quests?

Without knowing what he spent the time doing, it's impossible to know whether Jedi have 'more content' or 'more time sinks'.

I don't really think there's less content. It's just more efficiently placed. The bounty hunter starting planet had 2 or 3 heroic quests compared to tython or ord mandels 1. It also has 3 champion mobs to find compared to alliance sides one on ord and two on tython.

But even if it is less content... do we really care if there's fewer "kill 50 bears and bring me their asses!" types quests? Isn't that a good thing to have less of those?

Edited by SpankyMcFlych

I presume that you are happy with the 50 item Auction Limit per char and that you don't need to roll alts for muling, crafting and crew missions.

Repeating the same content for umpteenth time would be torturous and masochistic to most casuals.

Running longer distances and killing more trash mobs doesn't equate to more and better content

I haven't even mention about the Empire superiority in numbers of Level 50s on the PvP servers, griefing the Republic lowbies.

Edited by ChromeLight

I only played Sith in beta and don't really remember it that well, but I will tell you that Tython compared to Ord Mantell seemed different as well. Tython is probably the most running I've ever done and I'm from Canada!

Aye this as well, tython has alot of running... ALOT, on korriban the 1st time you have to run far there is a taxi which does that for you.

From level 2 onwards jedi's are running from point to point picking up kills etc.

This post is merely pointing out another factor where the empire side is favoured, heavily unfair to the light side of the war.

I don't think length of starter planets is something you can toss in the pot for "imbalance," because it doesn't actually effect the players' pvp experience. That said, Korriban is definitely the most finely-tuned starting planet, which actually makes it fun to play, and the fact that they couldn't create that on the other starting planets is unfortunate.

Edited by Greyfeld

I'm with the previous poster that was confused by this. The Jedi starter planet has significantly more content. I don't see how that means it "heavily favors" the Sith.

Also, you're saying that the first flashpoint has half the content, and that means it's better?

You might like smaller planets and you might like shorter flashpoints, and that's cool. But I honestly can't imagine how you would consider that "heavily favoured toward Sith."

By your timed experiment, you've shown that the Jedi side has significantly more content and the first flashpoint has significantly more content. I can't figure out how that translates to the Sith side being favored.

I'm with the previous poster that was confused by this. The Jedi starter planet has significantly more content. I don't see how that means it "heavily favors" the Sith.

Also, you're saying that the first flashpoint has half the content, and that means it's better?

You might like smaller planets and you might like shorter flashpoints, and that's cool. But I honestly can't imagine how you would consider that "heavily favoured toward Sith."

By your timed experiment, you've shown that the Jedi side has significantly more content and the first flashpoint has significantly more content. I can't figure out how that translates to the Sith side being favored.

Having to run back and forth between quest points over and over again isn't "more content," it's more tedium.

Without knowing what he spent the time doing, it's impossible to know whether Jedi have 'more content' or 'more time sinks'.

Or if he's just plain full of sith, logged his knight in and had it sit around doing nothing for a long time in order to get his screen shots...then posted a typical "developers favor the other faction" post ont he forums to instigate the all-too-common whine fest about such things, accompanied by the tinfoil hatted conspiracy that the developers actually do favor one side over the other in some vague fashion...and now we're posting in a complainers' echo chamber where everyone feels like they've been horribly wronged by some biased unfairness from the company and is feeding off each others' poorly supported griping.

Aye this as well, tython has alot of running... ALOT, on korriban the 1st time you have to run far there is a taxi which does that for you.

From level 2 onwards jedi's are running from point to point picking up kills etc.

This is just it. I've only been through Tython completely on one character, so I doubt I did it the most efficiently, but it seems my JK was always being sent thither and yon over the huge map, for a singular quest.

Contrast that with Korriban, where for every area you get sent, there is at least one additional (non-bonus) quest to be completed either simultaneously, or as part of the return trip. Even scanning that dude by the shuttle leads you to a heroic quest pickup and a datachron.

Again, I really don't think the discrepancies in design are intentional beyond assigning different groups to work on each area. I doubt there's a to-do checklist that says, "Make Jedi starting area huge and inefficient."

I don't really think there's less content. It's just more efficiently placed. The bounty hunter starting planet had 2 or 3 heroic quests compared to tython or ord mandels 1. It also has 3 champion mobs to find compared to alliance sides one on ord and two on tython.

But even if it is less content... do we really care if there's fewer "kill 50 bears and bring me their asses!" types quests? Isn't that a good thing to have less of those?

Considering that in MMOs not every bear have an a ss I have to agree.

Edited by Lundli