Basic soloing combat medic tips?

Mirdthestrill

Depends on the situation to be honest. I have had fights where all I did was heal my damage dealer and it took my full focus to do so. However, for most I do a mix. HIB when I can, sticky grenades, etc. Often I will wait for the companion to engage, mortar fire to clear out the ones that do not matter, and then focus on healing.

YMMV.

~FV~

:sy_republic:

i'm level 22 now and started off as medic. I spend most of my time dpsing. if its a group, i start with mortar and that usually kills them right off the bat. if its a tough elite with adds i have aric attack it while i kill adds. I usually find that mobs die before i actually need to heal, so i wait til its over and reload.

the only time i ever focus on healing is in flashpoints because i need to conserve ammo to heal instead of dps.

For a long time I soloed with Dorne healing me, even as a combat medic. Since I could kill most of a trash pack with an opening round of mortar volley, I usually just had one or two near death guys to clean up and Trauma Probe combined with her topping me off let me run non-stop killing.

Later, as mobs got tougher, I switched to running with Yuun or Jorgan a lot. Their increased single target DPS helped a lot on later silvers, starting around Voss.

The tank pets got nerfed towards the end of beta, so now they take almost as much damage as the dps pets, and do less dps. I really like 4X, but I just had better success with any non-tank pet.

I always use M1-4X for any difficult content and Jorgan for when I just need to burst down normals. You need to micro-manage tank companions somewhat, but they can make things very easy if you keep them reasonably geared. Using Dorne is an option, but I find having a tank companion lets me unleash my full Channeled fury, as with Dorne or Jorgan I'm "tanking" and thus my many channeled DPS skills are lessened in effectiveness. I find Forex to be a superior tank to Tanno due to a mod-able weapon and an extra threat tool in the form of Harpoon (annoying when he does it randomly, but very good for aggro management if you command him to use it).

With my combat medic I stayed with Aric Jorgan until I got Tanno Vik. Stacking Endurance is probably more vital than Aim while leveling without a tank companion. M1 has a tank stance, but he is -not- a tank, he takes way too much damage even full upgraded. With Aric I spend a lot of my time using hammershot/grenades/full auto while recasting heals as needed to keep us up. He and I generally split damage between normal mobs my Mortar Volley didn't outright kill (usually strong mobs) and then on Elites and Champions it was usually me taking most of the damage. I could keep myself healed easier because I could keep my focus on the mob while casting heals, along with steadily having more armor and health than Jorgan.

Level 39 I just broke the 11,000 mark in health, even though I am now using Vik. I gave him all of Jorgan's armor when I got him, upgraded his armorings since he will be taking most of the damage from here on out. Playing Vik isn't that much different than a Sage with Qyzen really.

I will probably use Jorgan some still, the change in playstyles more than anything. While I hear people constantly talk about how companion DPS is hardly worth it, I have found the Jorgan's DPS can be a major difference in killing speed. Even others I have grouped with have commented on it.

Vik's big downside is using a Techblade. An item the brilliant designers decided to NOT give an orange version of... a stupid design mistake IMNSHO. They could at least let us give them orange vibroswords...

---

About actual skill rotations and usage. Of course the combat support cell is your cell of choice, especially coupled with the supercharger skill... picking up all of the support talents for Advanced Medical Probe are a must. Especially the one that makes Medical Probe cost 1 after an Advanced Medical Probe, this lets you use 2 heals for the price of 1.

Regardless of companion when you get ready to start a fight you should always cast Trauma Probe on whomever is going to be taking the most damage in non-trash pulls. While the heal isn't great, every bit of negated damage is nice. Using your concussion shot and cryo grenades wisely can be good as well. On pulls with more than 1 elite I highly suggest turning off ALL of your companions AoE skills. Concussion Shot one of them, burn down the first and move to the second. If geared well and playing smart it's fairly easy for a commando with Jorgan or Vik to down 3 elites in relatively short order without any real difficulties.

When facing an enemy that has a lot of HP, but doesn't do loads of damage, if they're focused on your companion use Hammershot some to help negate damage. It can save you valuable ammo. Against multiple foes or one that does quite a bit of damage the delay and animation usage of Hammershot is ill-advised. You're better off timing your probes to where you regain 1-2 ammo in the process of casting and delaying between uses. If the mob does not have boss status use Cryo Grenade before popping supercharge and using Adavnced Medical Probe (along with 1 shot of Kolto Bomb for +% healing and damage negation) while they're frozen and first recovering.

I hope this helps some. :)

-Hietala, 39 medic commando, Giradda The Hutt