Newbie assasin tanking.

Chrismilk

that the problem with assassins they tough but, their dps is realy bad, your only 19 so I will not tell you to use a dps compaion so here are some tips for you.

I tank so this is what I do:

make sure to focus on one skill tree

use dark charge

and inquissitors are willpower based, you should start to realize that shock and force lightning dose more damage than you melee attacks

I actually wish I could discharge without it being AOE. I really think we do better at single target tanking so, no need to draw in more attackers that you might have mind trapped. Force pull helps a lot with that, but you wont have that for a while. I will mind trap the strongest target, then pull him away and charge at the weaker ones to dispatch quickly while the stronger is off to the side.

Which raises the question, why are you tanking 3 elites at once?

Edited by Technohic

If you're tanking 3 elites, you shouldn't have to worry about dps. Leave it to teammates & companions.

It you don't have atleast one teammate, and hence full 4 man team (with companions), you're in the wrong place.

Edit: Once you get Mind Trap (lvl20) and Force Cloak (lvl22), you should be able to kill some 3 elite packs and most 2 elite packs without help.

Edited by Forduc

It seems that most tanks dont really start getting most of their tank abilities until after 20, so just hang in there. I leveled most of the way as tank spec doing heroic missions and the occasional flashpoint and (as my first tank in any MMO) did fairly well. Keep aggro on you and let the dpsers do the dps. You will be using your taunt and aoe taunt alot until you get wither, then aoe aggro is easier hold onto.

I actually wish I could discharge without it being AOE. I really think we do better at single target tanking so, no need to draw in more attackers that you might have mind trapped. Force pull helps a lot with that, but you wont have that for a while. I will mind trap the strongest target, then pull him away and charge at the weaker ones to dispatch quickly while the stronger is off to the side.

Which raises the question, why are you tanking 3 elites at once?

First, I use Discharge all the time and only hit one or two people. Just back up and fire. At first you might need to guess whether you'll hit or not but after a little while you can basically target the guys you want.

Next, yeah why are you fighting 3 elites at once?

It seems that most tanks dont really start getting most of their tank abilities until after 20, so just hang in there. I leveled most of the way as tank spec doing heroic missions and the occasional flashpoint and (as my first tank in any MMO) did fairly well. Keep aggro on you and let the dpsers do the dps. You will be using your taunt and aoe taunt alot until you get wither, then aoe aggro is easier hold onto.

Agreed. I didn't start playing Darkness spec until after 20 so I can't comment on the earlier levels, but from 20 on it will get a little easier for you to tank. We only get two taunts, solo target Mind Control and Mass Mind Control, so use them as often as you can to hold aggro. Use Discharge with Dark Charge and Lacerate as often as you can because the AoE will hit the whole group usually.

Assassin tanks start off very, very slow. We don't have very many "tanking" skills and the talents at the bottom of the Darkness tree don't help all that much. Heck, my first 2 points were put in Madness for the 2% damage reduction! :)

That being said, it does get better - a LOT better as you get to 25 and beyond. Once you hit 40ish and get Talos (the healing companion) life is really, really good.

Assassin tanks start off very, very slow. We don't have very many "tanking" skills and the talents at the bottom of the Darkness tree don't help all that much. Heck, my first 2 points were put in Madness for the 2% damage reduction! :)

That being said, it does get better - a LOT better as you get to 25 and beyond. Once you hit 40ish and get Talos (the healing companion) life is really, really good.

lol I found it funny when I got Talos. The game automatically put him with me and put Ashara away. I immediately saw how much damage Ashara was doing for me and then noticed that; although slow to kill, I left fights unscathed for the most part.

It is because you are level 19. You only started specializing 9 levels ago. Ive been tank specced since level 20 and it definitely got better when I got Talos. You just dont have enough abilities. To be honest, at level 50, I feel like the best aoe tank in the game. Dunno if thats true, but I am great at it between 3 instant cast aoe abilities.

Just remember that discharge hits up to 5 targets near the original target, not you. Don't worry. It gets better...waaaaay better.