Im starting to feel bored. Why?

alike

I know exactly why I'm bored.

I hit level 50. Now my options are:

• PvP, but I hate PvP so not really an option.
  • Run daily quests. This equals grinding which I don't find fun.
  • Run flashpoints. I really love doing this; however, what this really amounts to is spamming General and waiting and waiting and waiting instead of actually running flashpoints.
  • Level up another character. Honestly I'm working on this and the class quest is interesting. But I've already played through the 90%+ of the content that isn't class quest so that's boring too.

The only thing that can really solve my problem of being bored is a way to get into flashpoints more easily. I know BW has said they're improving their LFG tool, but I still see that being some half-arsed implementation that lets us put more flags onto what's already there and still relies too much on chatting. I just don't see them implementing what they need to, which is something very similar to WoW's tool.

Edited by DarthTHC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except we're not talking about the game, but about the player.

Your boredom is something you manufacture: it is your product not Bioware's.

The player has responsibility for their emotional state. Bioware does not have responsibility for the player's emotional state.

Put another way: Boredom is a symptom of a lazy mind. If you are bored, that is your fault, and not the fault of any game, even 52 card pickup. The boredom involved with 52 card pickup became your responsibility when you decided to throw the cards instead of, say, finding the cure for cancer.

LOL at this.

The purpose of a game is to entertain. If a player is bored with the game, then the game has failed for that player. Not the other way around.

Edited by DarthTHC

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave SWTOR. No, Sir, when a man is tired of SWTOR, he is tired of life; for there is in SWTOR all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

Edited by MackumDog

Maybe you could try to enjoy the game rather than getting to max level as fast as you can. I haven't been past Alderan (I don't know if I spelled it right) across 16 characters. Most are on the second planet maybe third and I ENJOY the story. I am not rushing through the game like so many people who are crying because they are bored because they rushed through.

Level up another character. Honestly I'm working on this and the class quest is interesting. But I've already played through the 90%+ of the content that isn't class quest so that's boring too.

That is the kicker for me. I am not sure what "total" percentage of the content the class-story stuff adds up to, but its no where near enough for me. Even leveling toons in WAR didn't feel this linear and "too linear" was one of my main issues with that game. I have long had altitus and it can be a painful disease in this game.

The purpose of a game is to entertain. If a player is bored with the game, then the game has failed for that player. Not the other way around.

Yes but it does remind of of the old saying involved with some, most, and all. You'll always have at least some that don't like something.

Maybe you could try to enjoy the game rather than getting to max level as fast as you can. I haven't been past Alderan (I don't know if I spelled it right) across 16 characters. Most are on the second planet maybe third and I ENJOY the story. I am not rushing through the game like so many people who are crying because they are bored because they rushed through.

Not everyone is an Altaholic. I'm not. My play style is to pick a character that I want to play, level it to max (however long that takes and in SWTOR it isn't long if you simply play the game at a normal pace) and then I make my toon the best it can be.

In this game that includes grinding out dailies to get gear / normal FP's / PvP. If you aren't a PvP'r (which I'm really not) then you are out a 3rd of the game automatically. So, you have grinding dailies (solo or small group) and Flashpoints (various tiers) to get gear and be better. And a couple OP's which are Flashpoints for more.

That's it. There is nothing else at end game that isn't busy work (I've gotten all the Datacrons including the Fleet one), doing lower level quests just because isn't overly appealing to me, etc.

SO - you tell me - how does your solution of making another 15 characters help me at all?

Furthermore, this game is based on progression. It's an MMO.

Game designs are commonly a bit more interesting than your definition describes. Single player games are based on progression. Leapfrog is based on progression: is it an MMO?

There are ways to play an MMO that are not based on progression. You may not realize that, or even understand how it can be, but then you aren't defining reality, either.

The reason we keep playing these damned things is because we want to make progress.

Not really. At least, not if you include me in your we. Or is that a mouse in your pocket?

I don't depend on a game for my progress: I have that need fully satisfied in my worklife. I play a game to get away from having to make progress, and appreciate excellence without life-threatening stress. I enjoy my time in-game because I am there to relax and blow off steam. You can set your hearts desire on 'making progress' in an online ephemeral game if you prefer, no skin off my back.

I'll take my progress in reality, tyvm.

As human beings, it is our desire to make progress in all things that we do. ...yadda yadda ....

No, as humans we are each unique and not part and parcel of you. You do not speak for me. Speak for yourself if you must but remove that 'we humans' part, bub.

Not everyone is an Altaholic. I'm not. My play style is to pick a character that I want to play, level it to max (however long that takes and in SWTOR it isn't long if you simply play the game at a normal pace) and then I make my toon the best it can be.

In this game that includes grinding out dailies to get gear / normal FP's / PvP. If you aren't a PvP'r (which I'm really not) then you are out a 3rd of the game automatically. So, you have grinding dailies (solo or small group) and Flashpoints (various tiers) to get gear and be better. And a couple OP's which are Flashpoints for more.

That's it. There is nothing else at end game that isn't busy work (I've gotten all the Datacrons including the Fleet one), doing lower level quests just because isn't overly appealing to me, etc.

SO - you tell me - how does your solution of making another 15 characters help me at all?

It doesn't, plain and simple. Other hand you aren't two million people either.

It comes down to this: if you are satisfied with the game in general and find it valuable enough to yu to pay your sub while the game develops then keep paying your sub. If not, don't. It is your call and your responsibility.

It is Bioware's call and responsibility to do their job and set their objectives and timetables based on their resources, then deliver on their responsible schedule. If the two mesh then that is great. If not then it isn't a fault to go your seperate ways until such a time as they do mesh up.

Sinple, right? So what is it with all these people whining for their bottle when they just had one not an hour ago? They don't feel feverish and the diaper is still clean. I can choose to hold them and rock them so they associate their crying with being comforted, or I can just let them cry and feed them according to the schedule.

Healthier to do the latter. I approve of Bioware's sense of social responsibility.

Greetings everyone,

We understand that many players are eager to discuss how to keep themselves occupied in game. That conversation is already in progress here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=224036

In addition, if you have a specific suggestion, we encourage you to post in the Suggestion Box forum or perhaps in one of the many subforums pertaining to a particular topic, such as Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions if you would like to talk about gear drops.

We will be closing this thread now. Thank you for understanding and for your help in keeping these forums a little better organized.