Im starting to feel bored. Why?

alike

Hi everyone :) Today when i logged into the game i started feeling bored for the first time after i started playing the game. I cant put my finger on what it is that makes me get the feeling, but i think it is because its to easy to get good gear. Do you agree?

Also, i feel there is nothing to strive for... Like in WOW (Vanilla mostly) we had top guilds running around with fancy gear that i could not even dream of getting. In a weird way that made me more motivated to play, and i hope to see this in SWTOR soon, or i am afraid i will be gone. I don't want to leave, so maybe when migration comes i will move to a bigger more hardcore server :)

Subscription based games can generally get away with producing less content since thier "end-game" consists of repeating the same thing multiple times for months.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See? This is the way to do it. No big "THROW ME A PARADE I'M QUITTING" threads... Acknowledged he's bored, left the door open to come back if it suits him.

And I'll probably do the same if 1.2 doesn't deliver and GW2 does. TOR isn't a "bad" game by any means. Finally finding a set that made my Jug look like Darth Vader was a great game moment for me. Rivaling even some of my favorite WoW and WAR moments. I'm just... well, bored.

I'm sure we'll get a hefty xpac, at some point, and the in-game experience will probably have completely changed by then. It will probably give me another good month or so of gaming goodness.

They did that because EQ (of which WoW was then called a clone) was excruciatingly slow to level. It was what people were used to and expected. That is where the word >DING< got its significance: a level was cause for a celebration.

Not your two bit happy-dance celebration, either. Level 5 rivalled New Year's Eve.

At 20 there was a solemn ritual involving a little beanie and you were thereafter considered to be a responsible adult.

I actually went over to SOE for a nostalgic corpse run, actually signed up for a month just to go in and look around. Talk about UI issues...

Honest: you guys should learn to appreciate what you have here.

I am so glad to read this. I spent years leveling in Everquest to reach level 65 and be equal to most others in the raid. It was a happy day when I finally got level 65, then they moved the level cap, sigh. Even at level 65 you were not maxed out with items like alternate advancement and gear still yet to acquire. I was flagged for elemental planes and getting ready to start on them so i could finally beat the game with Plane of Time!!!

It was a huge time sink. And I loved it. My first and only major complaint with SWTOR is you level far to fast. At level 50 you are max power and probably max gear for the game and there is no other options other than move the level cap and start putting even more overpowered stuff in for you to glean after. I would love to see them push the level cap to 60, make it a slow grind, and heroic 12 content. Each level would give you epic abilities and leave you as a hero of the Republic title/ Empire etc... Level 1-50 should be the tutorial not the game, the real game comes after you learn to play.

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "MMO burnout".

8 step process to recovery:

1. Exit game

2. Push back from keyboard

3. Swivel chair and stand up

4. Walk out of room

5. Talk to a live person near you

6. Plan an activity together

7. Complete said activity

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log on to SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

Hehe loved this. Sounds about right.

Feeling the same way as the OP. There's nothing to strive for, no goal. I got my rank 60, I've raided nightmare mode OPs... there's just nothing to do anymore.

In vanilla WoW I spent 6 months of playing 10 hours every day just to get rank 13. Then several more months just to make endgame PVE progress, and it was big news when a guild was even attempting a boss.

In SWTOR it's like "Oh you dinged 50, here's lots of purpalz. The tier items are only marginally different from each other and there's no real sense of accomplishment in doing the OPs."

Why grind PVE gear when you don't require any particular PVE gear to make PVE progress? I've raided nightmare in Tionese with champion mods/enhancements... Due to the horrible droprate of BH stuff (maybe one item drops per week, whereas we have a 100% droprate on warrior stuff -- resulting in our marauders getting decked out in just one week), I've bought my 3 columi pieces.

Not to mention the lack of that epic feeling; the feeling of having gear that you know very few others have. Inspecting someone standing on the mail box and thinking "Wow. I want to do endgame PVE so I could have gear like him/her". Or being that person yourself, thinking "Yeah, I grinded exalted with the AQ faction and got this awesome weapon after the hilt dropped from a really difficult boss. You can look, but don't touch!". I was once that scrub, inspecting a rank 13 druid with the AQ40 mace. I grinded exalted before my guild had even started AQ40, because I really wanted that mace, and I got rank 13 gear before we were even doing MC. Then I stood on the mailbox.

You're kidding, right? 2 OPs is not a "good amount" of endgame content. There should be at least 5.

Also, compare to Molten Core, where you'd spend weeks on just ONE boss. In SWTOR you clear nightmare in one night. Not to mention that it was impossible to kill anything in BWL unless you had really good gear: tier items or rank 13 stuff. In SWTOR you can raid nightmare in tionese with champion mods.

I know I'm not the only "endgame" PVE-er who feels this way.

I'm bored out of my wits. For the past few days I've only logged in for raids, even though I'm the CO-GM of my guild (the GM being my boyfriend and him only logging in for raids as well). The only reason why we keep on trucking is because we enjoy organizing the guild, but even that isn't enough anymore.

Kudos on making leveling interesting, but in that process they forgot that there's supposed to be content at level 50 as well.

Also, leveling is much too fast. Vanilla WoWers will remember when someone, anyone, a complete stranger, would shout in /1 "DING 60!!!" and you would actually be genuinely happy for the person. People would say "grats!!" and actually mean it. In SWTOR it's more like "Why are you even announcing this? My cat could level to 50 in one day".

People are NOT supposed to get bored of an MMO after just one month.

Bioware should be releasing new content each week; xenu knows they have the resources for it. It seems like they just want to milk this cow for 6 months tops and then accept that people will quit and go back to WoW or whatever. Bioware will still have made a profit and so they could care less if we get bored.

The reason why they're holding off content until March is solely to ensure that people will renew their subscription. They released an unfinished game, release what should have been in the game from start, bit by bit, and call it "content".

This is what it SHOULD have been like. Bioware might please the casual players, but they're losing the hardcore ones.

Bioware failed. Big time.

I agree with most stuff you are saying!

I'm Getting quite bored by SWTOR already, the game is not really bad but it just feels so unrewarding to do anything except leveling which i've grown quite tired of now.

WoW bored me for the same reason aswell, everything became extremly easy to get or do. I mean on our server in WoW everything was getting pugged except for some "HM" stuff and same thing in SWTOR.. People pugged the first ops within a month of the games release.

Another thing that really got me bored of WoW was all the "pay for name change, pay for server change, pay for blablabla", cross server everything(although i liked it at first), all of which made any sort of community outside guilds die to me.

But anyway most stuff is not really a SWTOR/WoW thing but more the new "generation" of gaming, everything extremly easy to get/easy to do and it have to be fast to do aswell.. God forbid spending time in a game to accomplish anything.

And no i'm not a SWTOR hater, i just feel that there is nothing keeping me playing the game right now :(

/random rant over

Feeling the same way as the OP. There's nothing to strive for, no goal. I got my rank 60, I've raided nightmare mode OPs... there's just nothing to do anymore.

In vanilla WoW I spent 6 months of playing 10 hours every day just to get rank 13. Then several more months just to make endgame PVE progress, and it was big news when a guild was even attempting a boss.

In SWTOR it's like "Oh you dinged 50, here's lots of purpalz. The tier items are only marginally different from each other and there's no real sense of accomplishment in doing the OPs."

Why grind PVE gear when you don't require any particular PVE gear to make PVE progress? I've raided nightmare in Tionese with champion mods/enhancements... Due to the horrible droprate of BH stuff (maybe one item drops per week, whereas we have a 100% droprate on warrior stuff -- resulting in our marauders getting decked out in just one week), I've bought my 3 columi pieces.

Not to mention the lack of that epic feeling; the feeling of having gear that you know very few others have. Inspecting someone standing on the mail box and thinking "Wow. I want to do endgame PVE so I could have gear like him/her". Or being that person yourself, thinking "Yeah, I grinded exalted with the AQ faction and got this awesome weapon after the hilt dropped from a really difficult boss. You can look, but don't touch!". I was once that scrub, inspecting a rank 13 druid with the AQ40 mace. I grinded exalted before my guild had even started AQ40, because I really wanted that mace, and I got rank 13 gear before we were even doing MC. Then I stood on the mailbox.

You're kidding, right? 2 OPs is not a "good amount" of endgame content. There should be at least 5.

Also, compare to Molten Core, where you'd spend weeks on just ONE boss. In SWTOR you clear nightmare in one night. Not to mention that it was impossible to kill anything in BWL unless you had really good gear: tier items or rank 13 stuff. In SWTOR you can raid nightmare in tionese with champion mods.

I know I'm not the only "endgame" PVE-er who feels this way.

I'm bored out of my wits. For the past few days I've only logged in for raids, even though I'm the CO-GM of my guild (the GM being my boyfriend and him only logging in for raids as well). The only reason why we keep on trucking is because we enjoy organizing the guild, but even that isn't enough anymore.

Kudos on making leveling interesting, but in that process they forgot that there's supposed to be content at level 50 as well.

Also, leveling is much too fast. Vanilla WoWers will remember when someone, anyone, a complete stranger, would shout in /1 "DING 60!!!" and you would actually be genuinely happy for the person. People would say "grats!!" and actually mean it. In SWTOR it's more like "Why are you even announcing this? My cat could level to 50 in one day".

People are NOT supposed to get bored of an MMO after just one month.

Bioware should be releasing new content each week; xenu knows they have the resources for it. It seems like they just want to milk this cow for 6 months tops and then accept that people will quit and go back to WoW or whatever. Bioware will still have made a profit and so they could care less if we get bored.

The reason why they're holding off content until March is solely to ensure that people will renew their subscription. They released an unfinished game, release what should have been in the game from start, bit by bit, and call it "content".

This is what it SHOULD have been like. Bioware might please the casual players, but they're losing the hardcore ones.

Bioware failed. Big time.

YOU GO GIRL!

This is by far the best rationale why this game is just awesomely average...../yawn

1) If this is your second MMO, you will never recapture the feeling of wonder you got from your first. This is likely some kind of metaphor or life lesson ;)

This whole thread summed up in 1 line.

People pouring their hearts out into how great WoW was can't see through the rose-tint at the people who are playing their first MMO in SWTOR. Their minds are being blown. Yours will never be again.

Honestly the OP brings up a solid point. Gear is way too easy to get and is just way too generic. There is no task that is just insurmountable.. if your ops group has full columi (which can be acquired from 4 man hard modes) you can kill every boss in the game. Add a few rakata pieces to that and you can clear everything on nightmare mode. I know this because my group has done it.

There's no big mythical boss. None of the raid content takes more than a couple weeks to clear and be on farm status. It's just simply not challenging. I remember in EQ and WoW you would clear maybe 2 or 3 out of x amount of bosses and be stuck there for up to month just gearing up and attempting that 4th boss until you got it. You don't see that here and it takes a lot of the fun out of downing a boss.

The only boss in this game that has actually proven to be a challenge is SOA and that's not because his mechanics are difficult it's because of how bugged and random the fight is. It's gotten better since they fixed him randomly dropping agro and automatically taking people out of mind traps at the end of the 2nd phase but so much of the fight is still just a battle against the RNG.

Another issue is that nightmare and HM drops the same exact loot. I mean honestly bio aside from the challenge whats the point of doing Nightmare? We do it because its fun but if we're tired and don't want to bother wiping to bugs on soa for an hour straight we know we can switch to HM and get the same exact reward. It's just silly. It also really doesn't feel like your getting some amazing epic piece of loot when your just going to the rakata vendor and trading in a token. Obviously this system is nice for many reasons but would it really be that hard to add in some actually RARE (as in it doesn't drop every single time for atleast one class) legendary items? I mean it doesn't even have to be better than rakata just something different to show off and make our e-peens larger.

Oh yea and master looter is still broken.. jesus christ how is that even possible.

People pouring their hearts out into how great WoW was can't see through the rose-tint at the people who are playing their first MMO in SWTOR. Their minds are being blown. Yours will never be again.

If content remains as easy as it is, new players will never get to experience the rush of downing a truly epic boss. No feeling exists in TOR. Downing a boss in nightmare mode wont feel epic..because chances are you've probably already downed the same boss on normal and hard modes and guess what?...not a single new boss mechanic on nightmare mode. Not only that, nightmare mode just isn't that hard. Hopefully Bioware takes something away from the entry-level raiding content and crafts something truly epic in the months to come. One can only hope!

Furthermore, this game is based on progression. It's an MMO. The reason we keep playing these damned things is because we want to make progress. As human beings, it is our desire to make progress in all things that we do. We want results. You work to get a paycheck, you workout/diet to get results, you buy a house because it shows that you've 'made it'. You play video games because you want to have fun and progress through them. If there are no more goals to achieve in the game, people will simply stop playing. For a lot of people, playing through the same content is not a new goal and that's why end game is so important.

Edited by Dumpiduke

Which has some truth to it.

But the are non-subjective problems here, and these new players are being subjected to mediocrity and lower standards... satisfaction at less that the best. We want developers to deliver MORE in the future, not less. We're not trying to work our way down back to MUDs.

The funniest part of all this for me is that I'm home now, and the kids are distracted, but I still find this forum more interesting than actually playing the game. :p

BioWare made some poor design decisions and its hardly like they didn't have the people, time, and money to avoid them.

Still TOR was a lot of fun for a month and probably will be fun again, for a few weeks, when the xpac comes out in a year or so.

I like how every one of the fanboys ignored that the OP was comparing to vanilla WoW, not current WoW.

And the stock MMO-burnout response... hilarious.

Speak for yourself; WoW was my fourth MMO, and vanilla is still the best I've ever played.

TOR is my eighth MMO, and I have a feeling I'll soon be avoiding the genre for the same reason I avoid going to the movies; everything being released is just money-grab generic crap.

Edited by Ansultares

YOU GO GIRL!

This is by far the best rationale why this game is just awesomely average...../yawn

there is lots of casual players in swtor,

in my guild, some players even have to cook dinner at 8pm!

BW at least do the right thing for casual players not for nerd hardcore ppl,

they should play others.

BW should fix all BUGs first. then endgame.

Demanding things in a video game ...

Threatening to quit if needs are not met in a video game ...

Posting frantically about what is not liked in a video game ...

Does this generation even understand what Gaming is anymore?

How dare people vent there frustrations about a mediocre MMO! How dare they!!!

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "MMO burnout".

8 step process to recovery:

1. Exit game

2. Push back from keyboard

3. Swivel chair and stand up

4. Walk out of room

5. Talk to a live person near you

6. Plan an activity together

7. Complete said activity

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log on to SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

This exactly. But for me it was because SWTOR is the only game I have played since December 15, and just 2 days ago I realized I didn't want to play anymore. Not bored of the game, but just to much of a good thing. Still think the game is fantastic, but I should not have it take all my gaming time. So I am going to take a week or 2 off and play some of my other games, all single player games.

So you're bored.. OK thats cool. Find something else to do.

Why are posting here? did you want to form a bored MMO players support group and discuss your feelings or something?

There is nothing more interesting out right now. Pretty much that's it. I'm posting here because the thread caught my eye and this is "the" forum for general discussions about this game.

1) If this is your second MMO, you will never recapture the feeling of wonder you got from your first. This is likely some kind of metaphor or life lesson ;)

Wow, I never thought of it this way. No wonder I usually don't stick with a new MMO for more than a few months.. Guess my first love was Vanilla WoW. Nothing since has scratched that itch... Heh, philosophy on the TOR boards..

That being said, so far I have had a great time in this game. I love the Star Wars universe and MMO's so I may be around for a long while.. :)

Jeez, you realise that argument could be said about any game ever made or indeed any form of "entertainment" ever created? If you get fun out of anything and it doesn't matter what it is then go amuse yourself with 52 card pickup. Oh you're not enjoying it? Well you only have yourself to blame.

Except we're not talking about the game, but about the player.

Your boredom is something you manufacture: it is your product not Bioware's.

The player has responsibility for their emotional state. Bioware does not have responsibility for the player's emotional state.

Put another way: Boredom is a symptom of a lazy mind. If you are bored, that is your fault, and not the fault of any game, even 52 card pickup. The boredom involved with 52 card pickup became your responsibility when you decided to throw the cards instead of, say, finding the cure for cancer.

Edited by Gleneagle

Hi everyone :) Today when i logged into the game i started feeling bored for the first time after i started playing the game. I cant put my finger on what it is that makes me get the feeling, but i think it is because its to easy to get good gear. Do you agree?

Also, i feel there is nothing to strive for... Like in WOW (Vanilla mostly) we had top guilds running around with fancy gear that i could not even dream of getting. In a weird way that made me more motivated to play, and i hope to see this in SWTOR soon, or i am afraid i will be gone. I don't want to leave, so maybe when migration comes i will move to a bigger more hardcore server :)

This may not be your case, but maybe what helped ME in the past could help you?

Game sucks you in and you find yourself playing more than 2 hours per day. Reach a point of boredom or fatigue that is hard to explain or put your finger into.

Take 1 week off. Not other game's but: go outside, shopping, a DJ set. Just don't play for a week.

Log back. Voila, magic is back. Hope it works for you too.

Two reasons come to mind:

2) WoW has seven years of post-release content development packed in. TOR is new. I would suggest that TOR's competitive advantage is not the volume of content, but its quality.

For a new game, TOR is remarkably stable and has a good amount of endgame content. The question now is, how quickly can they add, adjust and balance?

I have to concur with his findings.

I will also state that we are about to enter, what I personally call, "the lull stage". That is the stage at which a new release experiences its initial end game populations, and just before the focus switches from release and leveling, to end game and the end game features start pouring in.

I see this as the first critical stage in long term development of a MMORGP.

Wow, I never thought of it this way. No wonder I usually don't stick with a new MMO for more than a few months.. Guess my first love was Vanilla WoW. Nothing since has scratched that itch... Heh, philosophy on the TOR boards..

That being said, so far I have had a great time in this game. I love the Star Wars universe and MMO's so I may be around for a long while.. :)

Mine was UO. EQ did it because of the massive shift in the genre that they represented. From there, through a plethora of games, I've not felt that same awe and doubt I ever will.

From that point in time I judge games based on their ease of leveling, enjoyment of the leveling process, and proposed end game content as I am a raider.

To this point SW has fulfilled two of the three and promises to fulfill the third. That is why I personally enjoy this game.

Sounds like you miss WoW. Go ahead and return to it. You'll feel right as rain. :)