Im starting to feel bored. Why?

alike

Because making an MMORPG is like being a chef. I can bake a lot of things that look like a cake... but if I don't have the right ingredients, it's not going to taste like one.

Haha that was awesome, can I quote you in my signature?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get bored all the time. In this game. Out of this game. Any time I do something to much I get bored. Know what I do? I do something else and get bored with that, then come back. When I get back, I'm not bored any more and have a blast.

If one MMO is youir ONLY source of entertainment I don't know how you can NOT get bored with it. It would be like eating pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner every single day.

Burn out.

If you have been playing the game almost every day since launch you'll obviously find that you're interest is wavering. Most games can be completed in one or two weeks if you hammer on it continually, you then put it down and declare it finished. An MMO obviously has no end per say.

If interest is wavering just cancel your subscription and come back once you feel the need to. There is no penalty for cancelling and returning later, all of your characters and stuff will still be there.

MMOs tend to have a strange effect on people, where you feel compelled to log-in, even if you don't really want to. I've taken breaks from MMOs that helped me see they really weren't all that special, and after realizing this, I would just un-sub.

Yep.

What OP describes very much exhibits a form of learned helplessness (you can google the term for more info) which has a direct corelation to boredom in some people, in particular a form induced via a virtual environment as the control system.

All virtual environments can operate as behavior control systems, and they affect different people in different fashion.

Edited by Andryah

Question is, can you name a MMO that is perfect? Can you name one that never needs patches, hotfixes? Is there a MMO that is perfectly balanced? Go ahead and name 1....I'll wait here....

incoming GW2 statement.

watch.. sometime in this thread it will be mentioned.

Since you're comparing it to Vanilla wow, this is one of the big reasons wow was so successful and swtor probably won't be.

Classic wow did everything it could to slow you down.

-You were on foot until 40.

-There were quest chains that required you to run/fly to 8 different zone on different continents causing you to waste a huge amount of time.

-Most of the classes/specs were broken(not intentional).

-40 and 60 mounts were expensive and the quests and mobs gave a few silver to pay for your 900g mount/skill.

-Attunements for attunements for attunements. Some little crappy 5mans had quests to complete just to complete them, not to mention the process to get in to the raids(not to mention getting 40 ppl to show up at the same time) just to get gear with stats that alot of the time didn't make sense for you class/spec.

Then we have swtor. Everything gives you xp(Quests, flashpoints, PVP, space battle). When BW said they looked at Wow very closely when they were making swtor they must have been looking at wotlk/cata because that's the free epics, linear questing mmo they took from.

Sum things up: they left out the road blocks games like wow used to slow players down so they had time to tweak and add content while "endgame" is still off in the distance.

Before you take off the "roadblocks" bioware might have considered making the road longer to account for it.

The attunements were nothing. If you couldn't get 4 other people to do the quest you had no business doing a 40 man raid.

I have yet to see any gear at Fleet that makes me go "damn I want that". The cars are ridiculous. The armor sets/weapons look all the same.

The vanilla WoW tiered sets from MC/BWL were distinctive. Then you had the named weapons like Benediction/Thunderfury that were awesome.

Maybe Bioware should have spent less money on VO and more on creating weapons/gear people want to get.

Edited by grueber

The vanilla WoW tiered sets from MC/BWL were distinctive. Then you had the named weapons like Benediction/Thunderfury that were awesome.

Maybe Bioware should have spent less money on VO and more on creating weapons/gear people want to get.

Paladin banana shoulders. Your argument is invalid.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=16856#screenshots:id=222905

Before you take off the "roadblocks" bioware might have considered making the road longer to account for it.

The attunements were nothing. If you couldn't get 4 other people to do the quest you had no business doing a 40 man raid.

I have yet to see any gear at Fleet that makes me go "damn I want that". The cars are ridiculous. The armor sets/weapons look all the same.

Bingo! This is like taken right out of my head :) I need something to strive for, something to look up to, and it needs to be hard to get! I don't want to be able to have full rakata/columi gear after 17 days played...

Thx for all the answers, and sry for my late response. I'm not going to answer all of you but i can say that a lot of what you are saying is correct. One of you are saying that swtor might be my only source of entertainment. I have studies beside gaming, I go to the gym, I do fly fishing, I play other games, I read books, I go out with my friends, etc... and i still get bored :S I will try not to play as much as i have, and see if that works. because i don't want to quit, and i wont! :)

Keep on posting guys! It gives me a good feeling to see that I'm not to only player who get bored sometimes :)

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "MMO burnout".

8 step process to recovery:

1. Exit game

2. Push back from keyboard

3. Swivel chair and stand up

4. Walk out of room

5. Talk to a live person near you

6. Plan an activity together

7. Complete said activity

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log on to SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

I fully agree with this.

I played COH/COV for 6 years prior to SWTOR and sometimes you just need to unplug.

Prove positive that "Too Much of a Good Thing" is not just a catch phrase.

Edited by Lord_Fezziwig

Since you're comparing it to Vanilla wow, this is one of the big reasons wow was so successful and swtor probably won't be.

Classic wow did everything it could to slow you down.

They did that because EQ (of which WoW was then called a clone) was excruciatingly slow to level. It was what people were used to and expected. That is where the word >DING< got its significance: a level was cause for a celebration.

Not your two bit happy-dance celebration, either. Level 5 rivalled New Year's Eve.

At 20 there was a solemn ritual involving a little beanie and you were thereafter considered to be a responsible adult.

I actually went over to SOE for a nostalgic corpse run, actually signed up for a month just to go in and look around. Talk about UI issues...

Honest: you guys should learn to appreciate what you have here.

Edited by Gleneagle

By any objective measure, WoW is better. Blizzard has had a huge team working on the game for about a decade, with perhaps half a billion dollars in development. It has more content, features and polish by an order of magnitude.

But the important measures are *subjective*. If you're tired of elves, sick of memes masquerading as lore, or simply cringe at the notion that pandas and pokemon are being implemented on a day other than April 1st, then WoW is not for you. You must, however, accept that no other game will have WoW's sheer weight of developer output. If you can live with that, then show some patience and see where BW takes this game.

BW might screw it all up. The number of WH vets on their team, in particular, scares me. But they're as good a bet as any company can be to give Blizzard real competition.

Either stick around and find out, or go lick a panda ;)

Edited by Oghier

They did that because EQ (of which WoW was then called a clone) was excruciatingly slow to level. It was what people were used to and expected. That is where the word >DING< got its significance: a level was cause for a celebration.

Not your two bit happy-dance celebration, either. Level 5 rivalled New Year's Eve.

At 20 there was a solemn ritual involving a little beanie and you were thereafter considered to be a responsible adult.

I actually went over to SOE for a nostalgic corpse run, actually signed up for a month just to go in and look around. Talk about UI issues...

Honest: you guys should learn to appreciate what you have here.

Gah.. I loved EQ... yes it was my first MMO .. umm wait... wasn't it one of the first? Anyways.. when you dinged in that game.. it was a damn acomplishment and well worth it.

As for boredom.. I've kind of hit it myself.. but .. I only have reached level 35 on my main character *laugh* I've turned into an altaholic.. I think my boredom stems from playing all the alts and going thru the same worlds/quests (other than the class ones)

The kind you probably missed out on. Sorry for you, it really is fun and interesting. :(

Apparently everyone likes watching movies more than playing a game.

SWTOR is interesting the first time through each faction. It's crap on any additional playthroughs.

The is a big difference between ToR and Vanilla WoW.

First, Vanilla WoW took longer to hit 60 so Blizzard had more time to implement new content. Once players hit 60 in WoW they actually had to work to get their gear. People were mostly in green when they hit 60. You had to work your *** off that get that epic blue Tier 1 set which actually felt like an accomplishment. Once you were leet with your Tier 1 blues, then you could get keyed for MC and maybe you could get your first epics.

Epics in Vanilla WoW was truly epic. I remember a MT on my server who would always have a crowd following him to worship his epics. It took guilds months to clear MC, not weeks to clear the endgame content in ToR. That is the difference. Gear was much hard to get in WoW which gave players something to look forward too. Everything is handed to the players in this game.

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "IRL burnout".

8 step process to recovery:

1. Enter game

2. Push on to keyboard

3. Sit on chair and get in

4. Walk your character

5. Talk to a NPC near you

6. Plan an FP together

7. Complete said FP

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log off from SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

i feel the same like the OP, but vice versa irl.

real life is soo time consuming that i barely can login, when i feel i want to.

got a half hour free, a hour free, but not the needed 3-5 to serve my wish to be "on planet", online with my guildies challenging the virtuality.

nevertheless, real life has the better grafix and feels more "real" then swtor anyhow.

its PvE or get penalty, but its fine, love is so mutch better then hate anyways.

the irl quests are also challenging, as i remember some said here, they did "hard work" on raidsuccess, but even the irl reward is better then anything in swtor.

Edited by rawfox

"Nothing works unless you do." ~Maya Angelou

It is questionable to ask strangers why you feel bored. You feel bored because you are intellectually and emotionally inactive, neutral, unengaged. Why those qualities are influencing you is a different question.

Many people attempt to avoid blaming themselves in any way shape or form, but the fact remains the case that you might feel bored because you are causing your own problems. It may be that things outside you play a role, such as a roommate, a game, a movie. Problem is, if you try and only blame things that are outside you, then you are affirming those things control you or have power over you.

Personally I don't get bored, and if I did, I sure wouldn't admit it. What a shameful waste of a span of the only life I get.

Totally agree with you.

Feeling the same way as the OP. There's nothing to strive for, no goal. I got my rank 60, I've raided nightmare mode OPs... there's just nothing to do anymore.

In vanilla WoW I spent 6 months of playing 10 hours every day just to get rank 13. Then several more months just to make endgame PVE progress, and it was big news when a guild was even attempting a boss.

In SWTOR it's like "Oh you dinged 50, here's lots of purpalz. The tier items are only marginally different from each other and there's no real sense of accomplishment in doing the OPs."

Why grind PVE gear when you don't require any particular PVE gear to make PVE progress? I've raided nightmare in Tionese with champion mods/enhancements... Due to the horrible droprate of BH stuff (maybe one item drops per week, whereas we have a 100% droprate on warrior stuff -- resulting in our marauders getting decked out in just one week), I've bought my 3 columi pieces.

Not to mention the lack of that epic feeling; the feeling of having gear that you know very few others have. Inspecting someone standing on the mail box and thinking "Wow. I want to do endgame PVE so I could have gear like him/her". Or being that person yourself, thinking "Yeah, I grinded exalted with the AQ faction and got this awesome weapon after the hilt dropped from a really difficult boss. You can look, but don't touch!". I was once that scrub, inspecting a rank 13 druid with the AQ40 mace. I grinded exalted before my guild had even started AQ40, because I really wanted that mace, and I got rank 13 gear before we were even doing MC. Then I stood on the mailbox.

For a new game, TOR [...] has a good amount of endgame content.

You're kidding, right? 2 OPs is not a "good amount" of endgame content. There should be at least 5.

Also, compare to Molten Core, where you'd spend weeks on just ONE boss. In SWTOR you clear nightmare in one night. Not to mention that it was impossible to kill anything in BWL unless you had really good gear: tier items or rank 13 stuff. In SWTOR you can raid nightmare in tionese with champion mods.

I know I'm not the only "endgame" PVE-er who feels this way.

I'm bored out of my wits. For the past few days I've only logged in for raids, even though I'm the CO-GM of my guild (the GM being my boyfriend and him only logging in for raids as well). The only reason why we keep on trucking is because we enjoy organizing the guild, but even that isn't enough anymore.

Kudos on making leveling interesting, but in that process they forgot that there's supposed to be content at level 50 as well.

Also, leveling is much too fast. Vanilla WoWers will remember when someone, anyone, a complete stranger, would shout in /1 "DING 60!!!" and you would actually be genuinely happy for the person. People would say "grats!!" and actually mean it. In SWTOR it's more like "Why are you even announcing this? My cat could level to 50 in one day".

People are NOT supposed to get bored of an MMO after just one month.

Bioware should be releasing new content each week; xenu knows they have the resources for it. It seems like they just want to milk this cow for 6 months tops and then accept that people will quit and go back to WoW or whatever. Bioware will still have made a profit and so they could care less if we get bored.

The reason why they're holding off content until March is solely to ensure that people will renew their subscription. They released an unfinished game, release what should have been in the game from start, bit by bit, and call it "content".

The is a big difference between ToR and Vanilla WoW.

First, Vanilla WoW took longer to hit 60 so Blizzard had more time to implement new content. Once players hit 60 in WoW they actually had to work to get their gear. People were mostly in green when they hit 60. You had to work your *** off that get that epic blue Tier 1 set which actually felt like an accomplishment. Once you were leet with your Tier 1 blues, then you could get keyed for MC and maybe you could get your first epics.

Epics in Vanilla WoW was truly epic. I remember a MT on my server who would always have a crowd following him to worship his epics. It took guilds months to clear MC, not weeks to clear the endgame content in ToR. That is the difference. Gear was much hard to get in WoW which gave players something to look forward too. Everything is handed to the players in this game.

This is what it SHOULD have been like. Bioware might please the casual players, but they're losing the hardcore ones.

Bioware failed. Big time.

Edited by Mrs_Murder

"Nothing works unless you do." ~Maya Angelou

It is questionable to ask strangers why you feel bored. You feel bored because you are intellectually and emotionally inactive, neutral, unengaged. Why those qualities are influencing you is a different question.

Many people attempt to avoid blaming themselves in any way shape or form, but the fact remains the case that you might feel bored because you are causing your own problems. It may be that things outside you play a role, such as a roommate, a game, a movie. Problem is, if you try and only blame things that are outside you, then you are affirming those things control you or have power over you.

Personally I don't get bored, and if I did, I sure wouldn't admit it. What a shameful waste of a span of the only life I get.

Jeez, you realise that argument could be said about any game ever made or indeed any form of "entertainment" ever created? If you get fun out of anything and it doesn't matter what it is then go amuse yourself with 52 card pickup. Oh you're not enjoying it? Well you only have yourself to blame.

Edited by CommonKnowledge