Im starting to feel bored. Why?

alike

Hi everyone :) Today when i logged into the game i started feeling bored for the first time after i started playing the game. I cant put my finger on what it is that makes me get the feeling, but i think it is because its to easy to get good gear. Do you agree?

Also, i feel there is nothing to strive for... Like in WOW (Vanilla mostly) we had top guilds running around with fancy gear that i could not even dream of getting. In a weird way that made me more motivated to play, and i hope to see this in SWTOR soon, or i am afraid i will be gone. I don't want to leave, so maybe when migration comes i will move to a bigger more hardcore server :)

Edited by alike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two reasons come to mind:

1) If this is your second MMO, you will never recapture the feeling of wonder you got from your first. This is likely some kind of metaphor or life lesson ;)

2) WoW has seven years of post-release content development packed in. TOR is new. I would suggest that TOR's competitive advantage is not the volume of content, but its quality.

For a new game, TOR is remarkably stable and has a good amount of endgame content. The question now is, how quickly can they add, adjust and balance?

1) If this is your second MMO, you will never recapture the feeling of wonder you got from your first. This is likely some kind of metaphor or life lesson ;)

2) WoW has seven years of post-release content development packed in. TOR is new. I would suggest that TOR's competitive advantage is not the volume of content, but its quality.

For a new game, TOR is remarkably stable and has a good amount of endgame content. The question now is, how quickly can they add, adjust and balance?

OMG! A sensible post from an emotionally stable person!

what this guy said.

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "MMO burnout".

8 step process to recovery:

1. Exit game

2. Push back from keyboard

3. Swivel chair and stand up

4. Walk out of room

5. Talk to a live person near you

6. Plan an activity together

7. Complete said activity

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log on to SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

Hi everyone :) Today when i logged into the game i started feeling bored for the first time after i started playing the game. I cant put my finger on what it is that makes me get the feeling, but i think it is because its to easy to get good gear. Do you agree?

Also, i feel there is nothing to strive for... Like in WOW (Vanilla mostly) we had top guilds running around with fancy gear that i could not even dream of getting. In a weird way that made me more motivated to play, and i hope to see this in SWTOR soon, or i am afraid i will be gone. I don't want to leave, so maybe when migration comes i will move to a bigger more hardcore server :)

I got this feeling with WoW and I have (at times, especially after long play periods) gotten this feeling with SW:ToR. I just mix it up. Been getting back into Skyrim here and there, played Gears of War 3 with the wife and I am working my way through Kingdoms of Amalur. A lot of MMO'ers burn themselves out. When I take time away from it, I find I can recapture excitement. Kind of like you have to give yourself a chance to miss the game.

Edited by gannonmoss

From the symptoms you have described, I would say you may be suffering from a common, yet treatable ailment called "MMO burnout".

1. Exit game

4. Walk out of room

8. Repeat steps 5-8

Also, don't log on to SW (or any other MMO) for several days, maybe even a week or more.

This is a good idea. If you still have interest in the game, you'll come back to it, otherwise, this may prompt you to quit.

MMOs tend to have a strange effect on people, where you feel compelled to log-in, even if you don't really want to. I've taken breaks from MMOs that helped me see they really weren't all that special, and after realizing this, I would just un-sub.

Edited by HanzoV

How dare you point out that comparing WoW to SWTOR is like apples to oranges!!! (Uses dark force death grip on Oghier)....

Im pretty tired of seeing comparisons of SWTOR to WoW. WoW has had how many years and MILLIONS of development $$$??

I can say coming from Star Trek Online....SWTOR is at the same point (if not better) NOW only 3 months from release that STOL is at after 2+ years since release. BETA for SWTOR was at the point STOL was at just before the last release. Pretty impressive IMHO.

How dare you point out that comparing WoW to SWTOR is like apples to oranges!!! (Uses dark force death grip on Oghier)....

Im pretty tired of seeing comparisons of SWTOR to WoW. WoW has had how many years and MILLIONS of development $$$??

I can say coming from Star Trek Online....SWTOR is at the same point (if not better) NOW only 3 months from release that STOL is at after 2+ years since release. BETA for SWTOR was at the point STOL was at just before the last release. Pretty impressive IMHO.

Coming from STO gives you a pretty bad comparison as this wasn't created by Cryptic studios.

Tell you what though, at least STO has great space combat unlike this *****.

1. Exit game

4. Walk out of room

8. Repeat steps 5-8

I call it the "WoW Model Burnout" myself.

I'm bored as well, but can easily log into EvE for example.

ToR took too much of a copy and paste approach, i feel like i have already played this game.

"Nothing works unless you do." ~Maya Angelou

It is questionable to ask strangers why you feel bored. You feel bored because you are intellectually and emotionally inactive, neutral, unengaged. Why those qualities are influencing you is a different question.

Many people attempt to avoid blaming themselves in any way shape or form, but the fact remains the case that you might feel bored because you are causing your own problems. It may be that things outside you play a role, such as a roommate, a game, a movie. Problem is, if you try and only blame things that are outside you, then you are affirming those things control you or have power over you.

Personally I don't get bored, and if I did, I sure wouldn't admit it. What a shameful waste of a span of the only life I get.

Edited by Gleneagle

1. Exit game

4. Walk out of room

8. Repeat steps 5-8

My name is MegaBubble, and I approve this message.

I think some of us (including myself) got spoiled by the great storylines behind the class questing and got to lvl 50 (personally I think Vector needs to be a better husband and send me more pretties). There's only so many alts I'll be able to keep having that kind of fun with before I get bored myself, especially levelling with another person and seeing their class quests too.

I'm hoping once the bugs are worked out that end-game content ends up more worth it (I'd rather gear up to fight bosses and not bugs), and personally I plan to give Bioware time to do so. Considering the scale they are trying to accomplish in a game with an already established and rich story behind it (which also got me to play WoW btw, even though Star Wars is much more established as a story), I have to say they did a pretty decent job so far. It's just enough for me to expect more in the future from Bioware where this game is concerned.

Question is, can you name a MMO that is perfect? Can you name one that never needs patches, hotfixes? Is there a MMO that is perfectly balanced? Go ahead and name 1....I'll wait here....

Don't wait... you don't want to get old lurking on a forum now do you?

Since you're comparing it to Vanilla wow, this is one of the big reasons wow was so successful and swtor probably won't be.

Classic wow did everything it could to slow you down.

-You were on foot until 40.

-There were quest chains that required you to run/fly to 8 different zone on different continents causing you to waste a huge amount of time.

-Most of the classes/specs were broken(not intentional).

-40 and 60 mounts were expensive and the quests and mobs gave a few silver to pay for your 900g mount/skill.

-Attunements for attunements for attunements. Some little crappy 5mans had quests to complete just to complete them, not to mention the process to get in to the raids(not to mention getting 40 ppl to show up at the same time) just to get gear with stats that alot of the time didn't make sense for you class/spec.

Then we have swtor. Everything gives you xp(Quests, flashpoints, PVP, space battle). When BW said they looked at Wow very closely when they were making swtor they must have been looking at wotlk/cata because that's the free epics, linear questing mmo they took from.

Sum things up: they left out the road blocks games like wow used to slow players down so they had time to tweak and add content while "endgame" is still off in the distance.

agree, plus I think some folks are just getting burned out on the mmo genre as a whole, all games pretty much the same, with twists.. I have had a 5o for awhile now, I still have many things to do, not bored here..:)