Remove 30-second Cooldown from Gifts

VictoriousSinner

Bioware, you've introduced a system that requires significant grinding of items in order to unlock rewards like quests and reduced gathering/crafting times. The time this affection system takes is multiplied considerably not just by the fact we get many characters (only one of whom can be present for dialogue affection rewards), but also by the gift cooldown.

It takes 5 minutes of waiting to hand out 10 gifts... that's significant waiting time of doing nothing. Sure, I could do it while questing, but that becomes considerably less likely at the end of the game for players waiting around for PvP or Ops/FPs. We can't give out gifts in those situations, only when we're waiting. Late-game companions or ones that are rarely used (because they're not useful for the player) already take extra time to gain affection with.

Please, take off the gift cooldown. It's already a long grind to obtain/distribute the gifts. We don't need an arbitrary debuff to artificially extend the process, which turns it from a cool concept to a boring grind.

I agree with this completely.. However, I think it is there to allow ample time for your client and the server to sync and register the change in affection.. So I doubt this will change.. If it can be shortened somewhat.. Say 15 seconds instead of the 30 seconds.. That would be awsome..

The reason for having it mentioned above is just a guess.. I really have no clue as to why it is there, but I am fairly certain that it is there for a reason.. That is the only reason I could come up with..

Over all I would like it gone.. But I just don't think that is going to happen.. :cool:

I agree with this completely.. However, I think it is there to allow ample time for your client and the server to sync and register the change in affection.. So I doubt this will change.. If it can be shortened somewhat.. Say 15 seconds instead of the 30 seconds.. That would be awsome..

The reason for having it mentioned above is just a guess.. I really have no clue as to why it is there, but I am fairly certain that it is there for a reason.. That is the only reason I could come up with..

Over all I would like it gone.. But I just don't think that is going to happen.. :cool:

Its there to waste your time.

Its a slight annoyance.

I do believe it was put in to prevent people from hoarding down a few hundred gifts and instantly giving them to their companions raising their affection to max in a matter of minutes. So instead, they impose a cooldown, which slows the player and forces them to spend an hour to just raise the affection a little bit.

Kind of a silly way of doing it. There are any number of other methods to make 'twinking' affection more difficult. All of which I know would be met with equal complaining, because face it... people these days suffer from false entitlement and expect everything instantly.

I am neither for nor against the cooldown. If it exists or not does not change anything.

Its a slight annoyance.

I do believe it was put in to prevent people from hoarding down a few hundred gifts and instantly giving them to their companions raising their affection to max in a matter of minutes. So instead, they impose a cooldown, which slows the player and forces them to spend an hour to just raise the affection a little bit.

Kind of a silly way of doing it. There are any number of other methods to make 'twinking' affection more difficult. All of which I know would be met with equal complaining, because face it... people these days suffer from false entitlement and expect everything instantly.

I am neither for nor against the cooldown. If it exists or not does not change anything.

It's less false entitlement and more recognition of bad mechanics and uninspired design. If the goal is to block insta-max affection then the design should have required more actual interaction with the companion instead of a gift spam system. Players shouldn't be blamed when they look at bad design and point it out as such or otherwise ask for a way to limit their interaction with it.

Gifts should stack and the cooldown should be lowered to whatever's possible. They already have a 4 second cast and all the cooldown does is waste player time in no meaningful way.

Has anyone tried cycling through their companion's to give them gifts? Say you want to raise the affection of several companion's simultaneously.

For example you want to raise the affection on three of your companion's, so you first buy their gifts and line them up in three neat rows in your inventory and do this...

Give a gift to Companion 1.

Summon Companion 2.

Give a gift to Companion 2.

Summon Companion 3.

Give a gift to Companion 3.

Then start the cycle all over again.

I know this only works for those with the cash and who want to raise multiple companion's affection at the same time, but it might be a way around the cooldown for now. If it works that is... ;)

Has anyone tried cycling through their companion's to give them gifts? Say you want to raise the affection of several companion's simultaneously.

For example you want to raise the affection on three of your companion's, so you first buy their gifts and line them up in three neat rows in your inventory and do this...

Give a gift to Companion 1.

Summon Companion 2.

Give a gift to Companion 2.

Summon Companion 3.

Give a gift to Companion 3.

Then start the cycle all over again.

I know this only works for those with the cash and who want to raise multiple companion's affection at the same time, but it might be a way around the cooldown for now. If it works that is... ;)

The cd is on you, not your companion, no it doesn't work.

I agree, it's a bit of a nuisance to watch for the timer.