Will this laptop play SWTOR fine?

Rhaellios

I sit mine of a nice inexpensive cooling fan tray which are readily available for laptops. Heat can be managed...

As another poster said, I travel for work and need something portable. I'd love to just play on a desktop that costs the same as my laptop but life always manages to interfere...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is exactly the config 95% of ppl will not pay for.

Plus your temperatures are probably shooting to 100° with that anyway so You will fry the laptop in few months of swtor playing.

Yes, because that's exactly what Asus would do. Design a laptop that nobody would buy and fill it with componente not suitable for gaming, when it is designed as a gaming laptop.

If you have no idea what you are talking about and can only resort to rhetoric and hyperbole, then don't post.

Plus your temperatures are probably shooting to 100° with that anyway so You will fry the laptop in few months of swtor playing.

My laptop was ~$1200 and only has a business class card. But don't let that stop you from making a complete fool out of yourself. :rolleyes:

Wrong once again:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/turnerfamily10/Other/compscreen.jpg

You will note that my max temp is 50C (half of what you said) and that is while playing SWTOR, Google Chrome, and CPUID (as noted by the open tabs at the bottom). You mention a price that 95% of people won't pay for but that is not what you said in your first post. You said

No laptop will run SWTOR fine.
and you are incorrect regardless of price.

My laptop is slightly better than yours (better gpu, faster hdd) and this game runs like *** even on low and with shadows turned off.
Don't know what to tell you. I guess I can take a screen shot or load a video with fraps to prove my point. Just let me know.

Any but those that 99% of the population cant afford :)

He was not quoting you. And the majority of Laptops can play the game fine for that price range to be completely honest. The game is catered to lower end machines. Sure you won't be able to play on max settings but you will be able to play on Medium perfectly fine. Having an expensive machine won't do anyone any good with this game. It just wasn't coded very good. Either that or the Engine doesn't support the strain from the graphics. I spent about $2,300 on my last PC and even mine gets some lag when we have two full Raid groups facing off on Ilum. Kind of sad. I've never had any FPS issues in an MMO before. I can even play Battlefield 3 on max settings in full multiplayer games without issues.

Runs great on my laptop! Settings maxed bloom and shadows.

ASUS G53SX-XR1 15.6" Notebook

Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)

8GB DDR3 Memory

640GB HDD, DVDRW

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (2GB GDDR5)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Don't know what to tell you. I guess I can take a screen shot or load a video with fraps to prove my point. Just let me know.

I just want to let you know, strictly levelling my laptop does 'okay', but the game doesn't look good. It looks like city of heroes from 2004. Whereas in wazrzones/ilum, it's absoulutely horrible.

I'd say it'll run decent on say 1024x768 or say, low/medium settings around 30fps. I wouldn't expect any more than that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Also, prepare yourself for horrendously long load screens. It's bad even on a 7200rpm HDD. I don't wanna even fathom would it will be like on yours. It's going to be a lagfest for you though in warzones and some certain areas, I can guarantee that now. Your ram is fine. Your processor is decent. Video card is bad. HD is bad.

If you want to run this game on high/1920p I'd say the bare minimum graphics card to do it with would be like a 5770. And have it be playable in both leveling/warzones that is. That's what I used before my 560 Ti and I had around 40fps with those settings/shadows off on AVERAGE. It would climb as high as 60ish, and go down to 17-20ish in warzones. If I played it in 720p, the numbers doubled but meh game looks like **** to me on anything other than 1920p. Now I have no worries since I'm pretty much 60 or better 99% of the time.

Edited by Rodanth_The_Wise

No laptop will run SWTOR fine.

False. People saying this are stuck on the idea itself. I run nearly flawlessly on an HP dv6t quad edition. Go to HP's website.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6tqe_series

I'd say it'll run decent on say 1024x768 or say, low/medium settings around 30fps. I wouldn't expect any more than that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Also, prepare yourself for horrendously long load screens. It's bad even on a 7200rpm HDD. I don't wanna even fathom would it will be like on yours. It's going to be a lagfest for you though in warzones and some certain areas, I can guarantee that now. Your ram is fine. Your processor is decent. Video card is bad. HD is bad.

If you want to run this game on high/1920p I'd say the bare minimum graphics card to do it with would be like a 5770. And have it be playable in both leveling/warzones that is. That's what I used before my 560 Ti and I had around 40fps with those settings/shadows off on AVERAGE. It would climb as high as 60ish, and go down to 17-20ish in warzones. If I played it in 720p, the numbers doubled but meh game looks like **** to me on anything other than 1920p. Now I have no worries since I'm pretty much 60 or better 99% of the time.

I run 3 x 64GB SSD's in raid5 and it's not really any different than my wife's 7200 RPM

I just want to let you know, strictly levelling my laptop does 'okay', but the game doesn't look good. It looks like city of heroes from 2004. Whereas in wazrzones/ilum, it's absoulutely horrible.

Once again, I don't know what to tell you. I wish I could help but without knowing your specs. I have no advice to give. Like I said before, I run everything maxed out other than shadows and away from fleet I consistently get 90-109 fps. Every once in a while it will drop to 60-70 when loading a new area but that is it. Ilum during full groups gets 50-60 unless something wild happens but it never drops below 40. The game looks as good as it is coded and looks great to me with no hitching or anything. Should have bought an ASUS I suppose.

Good luck and I hope you can figure out your issue.

Cheers!

Edited by Bullex

• 1 month later...