Where do people get this idea that a well played marauder is invincible 1v1?

Aidank

A marauder/sentinel who knows what he's doing will beat any class 1v1. A shadow tank fight would be close, but the sentinel would still win.

QFT

When they know what they are doing its scary what they can do.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank Assassin is a close fight. Can go either way depending on who counters whose abilities.

Edit: Powertech is dangerous but the Mara/Sent should win. Obfuscate/Pacify destroys PT dps.

Edited by EasymodeX

The only classes that can reliably counter cloak and saber ward are shadow and operative (and their respective counterparts), because they can vanish after saber ward is popped and wait out its duration, effectively removing both cooldowns from the marauder and resetting the fight in the stealth user's favor.

Because of this, a properly played kinetic shadow can reliably out-duel a marauder if he has vanish available when the fight starts and saves it for the right moment.

Operatives and DPS-specialized shadows can use this strategy too, but the duel can still go either way with theses classes because their damage to survivability ratio is much lower than the tank-specialized shadow.

That's been my experience with it, anyway. Dueling a well-played kinetic shadow can really change your opinion on what the class is capable of.

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds to counter Marauder cooldowns if you can't vanish, though.

Edited by Trephination

Cute that aside from 1 or 2 mouthbreathers who pwn everythinglolololololol as marauders...

The ones claiming they are the best 1v1 class do not play them.

Good thing this game is not balanced 1v1 or at all really.

The only classes that can reliably counter cloak and saber ward are shadow and operative (and their respective counterparts), because they can vanish after saber ward is popped and wait out its duration, effectively removing both cooldowns from the marauder and resetting the fight in the stealth user's favor.

Because of this, a properly played kinetic shadow can reliably out-duel a marauder if he has vanish available when the fight starts and saves it for the right moment.

Operatives and DPS-specialized shadows can use this strategy too, but the duel can still go either way with theses classes because their damage to survivability ratio is much lower than the tank-specialized shadow.

That's been my experience with it, anyway. Dueling a well-played kinetic shadow can really change your opinion on what the class is capable of.

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds to counter Marauder cooldowns if you can't vanish, though.

Saber ward has a THREE MINUTE cooldown. You don't often have to worry about it.

Assassin Vanish is much more dangerous than an Op's.

Ops can't force speed into it, or Force immune into it, so it is relatively easy to counter with an AOE mez.

Also, you should not be overlapping Cloak + Saber in situations where they can Vanish.

You're a bad player. Good players do NOT break our first stun. (It's 1.5 seconds long)

Actually, it makes more sense to break the first stun for shadow/assassins and sorcs. Shadow/Assassin so they can either vanish (in DPS case) or cast their shield in tanks case. Sorcs/Sages would be good to throw a bubble up and then have the bubble absorb some of your second stun.

For every other class though, it makes more sense to break the second stun.

Where do people get this idea that a well played marauder is invincible 1v1?

I honestly don't know. The truth is that a TERRIBLY played marauder is invincible 1v1 or at the very least a huge pain in the *** more than any other class would be, so they got their facts wrong.

I have to agree. 99% of the time qq against a class is really an admission of lack of skill or knowledge on the part of the qq-er.

The guy you are replying to and agreeing with pretty much makes a living coming up with "nerf this class which I don't play" posts.

All I ever see is people trying to spam their pve rotation against sentinels, refreshing their 20% damage debuff for the whole fight and trying to dps through guarded by the force, and then they complain about how overpowered marauders are in a 1v1?

I'm not saying they're a bad class at all, especially in 1v1, i'm just saying that this idea they're completely invincible stems from people refusing to exploit their relatively easily exploitable weaknesses or play reactively to their cooldowns.

If you're better than the sent you're fighting, and you're mezzing their rebukes and going defensive during GBTF you're probably not going to lose.

the idea comes from people that can play there class thats were it coes from.

and it is 100% fact and true.

they hit like freakin trucks

Wait...

Oh look, that's what I said. And the scrapper doesn't need all CDs up. The Sentinel needs all their defensive cooldowns to not be murdered quickly, and they STILL lose.

There's an important difference: you're implying that being in stealth is more or less default for operatives. It's not. In some games it takes a lot of work (or evasion + vanish) to get into stealth. You're pretending starting fights from stealth is the norm for an operative and it's not.

Unfortunately, most people generally have zero idea what their own class does, or what other classes do.

The classic case of a mara being invincible is when they UR and get a couple whacks, and VT for the win, while another guy is whaling away. Hence the 1v2 god-mode...though usually the Mara dies shortly after.

9/10, the guy who died has zero idea what UR looks like, nor were they smart enough to save their stun or cycle their stuns and abusle resolve to negate UR.

It's too bad most people like to blame the game or classes, and never really want to take the time to research all the abilities and duel people to get a feel for the cues.

I have never cried nerf for any class or OP, not even during the Ops pre-1.1, because I knew full well it was pretty much because of buff-stackin, which wasn't only being abused by Ops.

TL:DR - Most people suck at PvP in MMOs, I may not be great at it-evidenced by me not being able to get my S1/S2 Gladiator mount, but I take the time to learn, which I hope puts me ahead of the mouthbreathers that whine all time.

two possible answers:

1) they are neither playing a class that has an advantage over marauders, like assassin and operative.

Nor a class that is absolutely on equal footing, like jugg or PT

2) they are not as good a player as they think they are

I've faced marauder/sentinals that could shred 3 of us and run off, yes this is in the 50 bracket.

you are not even embarrassed to share that with us, aren't you?

"because it's the class" keep telling yourself that, it will bring you very far in life :p

I've faced marauder/sentinals that could shred 3 of us and run off, yes this is in the 50 bracket.

What classes are you three even? I can't think of any combo of three classes who couldn't kill a Mara. I was thinking Shield Spec PT x 3, but with that much guard and taunts...or maybe three Snipers huddling on top of each other in a corner, who all happened to kick the Mara and not decide to create a triangle of death.

Yeah one of three might die, but all three...Either all three were wearing lvl 35 greens and were letting their 2 year olds slap the keyboard, all at the same time, or well....yeah, I don't want another infraction.

I can't think of any reasonable scenario where three competent players even in lvl 40 pvp gear cannot take down a Marauder.

What classes are you three even? I can't think of any combo of three classes who couldn't kill a Mara. I was thinking Shield Spec PT x 3, but with that much guard and taunts...or maybe three Snipers huddling on top of each other in a corner, who all happened to kick the Mara and not decide to create a triangle of death.

Yeah one of three might die, but all three...Either all three were wearing lvl 35 greens and were letting their 2 year olds slap the keyboard, all at the same time, or well....yeah, I don't want another infraction.

I can't think of any reasonable scenario where three competent players even in lvl 40 pvp gear cannot take down a Marauder.

It's easy to win 1 on 3 if the side with the 3 didn't notice the two guys behind them pumping Tracer Missiles or the healer healing from above.

Tunnel vision is a pretty common problem in this game. I had a WZ where this one guy seems to always win 1 on 3 until I realized that guy never goes anywhere without 2 stealther + healer nearby so of course he wins '1on3' all the time since it's actually a 4on3. There was one time we actually caught that guy solo 3on1 and he pretty much died instantly like any other person.

It's easy to win 1 on 3 if the side with the 3 didn't notice the two guys behind them pumping Tracer Missiles or the healer healing from above.

Tunnel vision is a pretty common problem in this game. I had a WZ where this one guy seems to always win 1 on 3 until I realized that guy never goes anywhere without 2 stealther + healer nearby so of course he wins '1on3' all the time since it's actually a 4on3. There was one time we actually caught that guy solo 3on1 and he pretty much died instantly like any other person.

My apologies. I had assumed the poster I was quoting actually knew enough about the game to differentiate the difference between 1v3, and 3v3.

Sadly, I may have been mistaken.

My apologies. I had assumed the poster I was quoting actually knew enough about the game to differentiate the difference between 1v3, and 3v3.

Sadly, I may have been mistaken.

Well I can't speak for them but I can't imagine any scenario where a single person can kill a guy against 3 guys and then run away successfully, unless one of those 3 guys started at 30% health. I can see with great gear disparity you might be able to take out one guy and then die, but that'd be it.

Only if scrapper have all CDs up and can open from stealth. If not Marauder will destroy him in a pure fight.

The same can be said for pretty much any class...As a Pyro powertech I can beat pretty much anyone 1 on 1, except really good Assassins and Marauders IF they have theri cooldowns up. Marauders/Sents, Assassins/Shadows, and Ops/Scoundrel are nothing if their cooldowns aren't up, so the above aregument is pointless.

I'm assuming when people say "1v1" they mean in a duel, with full cooldowns available.

Well I can't speak for them but I can't imagine any scenario where a single person can kill a guy against 3 guys and then run away successfully, unless one of those 3 guys started at 30% health. I can see with great gear disparity you might be able to take out one guy and then die, but that'd be it.

As a Pyro PT, I've solod 3 guys guarding the middle node in Civil War using all my Cooldowns, relic + adrenal.

Was a vanguard guarding a commando, and a sentinel. They must have been really bad...I was able to wreck the sentinel before my carbonize even wore off, didn't leave him any time to do cooldowns. Moved to the commando, and when I killed him the vanguard was half dead just from guarding the commando, so I easily finished him off.

I really wish I recorded it, because it was hilarious.

Where do people get the idea that people are getting the idea that a well played marauder is invincible 1v1?

No seriously. Where?

Personally (no I haven't read this thread) I've never seen anyone actually make a legitimate claim for marauders being *INVINCIBLE* in ANY situation, 1v1 or otherwise.

That being said, they are one of, if not the, best class in a 1v1 fight.

Best =/= Invincible.

Edited by Celebrus

As a Pyro PT, I've solod 3 guys guarding the middle node in Civil War using all my Cooldowns, relic + adrenal.

Was a vanguard guarding a commando, and a sentinel. They must have been really bad...I was able to wreck the sentinel before my carbonize even wore off, didn't leave him any time to do cooldowns. Moved to the commando, and when I killed him the vanguard was half dead just from guarding the commando, so I easily finished him off.

I really wish I recorded it, because it was hilarious.

Yeah, but that's like bringing in a Silat blade fighter to fight three out of shape pudgy guys wielding butterfly knives. yeah on paper, it looks like the Silat guy should lose, but let's be honest, who in their right mind fights a Silat blade wielder without a 30 foot spacing and a nice H&K G11?

A marauder/sentinel who knows what he's doing will beat any class 1v1. A shadow tank fight would be close, but the sentinel would still win.

A mara/sent played by a player who knows his class in and out will beat ANY other class played by equally skilled player. Simple fact.

Best class 1v1. I don't see the point of even making a thread denying this.