Where do people get this idea that a well played marauder is invincible 1v1?

Aidank

All I ever see is people trying to spam their pve rotation against sentinels, refreshing their 20% damage debuff for the whole fight and trying to dps through guarded by the force, and then they complain about how overpowered marauders are in a 1v1?

I'm not saying they're a bad class at all, especially in 1v1, i'm just saying that this idea they're completely invincible stems from people refusing to exploit their relatively easily exploitable weaknesses or play reactively to their cooldowns.

If you're better than the sent you're fighting, and you're mezzing their rebukes and going defensive during GBTF you're probably not going to lose.

Edited by Aidank

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I ever see is people trying to spam their pve rotation against sentinels, refreshing their 20% damage debuff for the whole fight and trying to dps through guarded by the force, and then they complain about how overpowered marauders are in a 1v1?

I'm not saying they're a bad class at all, especially in 1v1, i'm just saying that this idea they're completely invincible stems from people refusing to exploit their relatively easily exploitable weaknesses or play reactively to their cooldowns.

If you're better than the sent you're fighting, and you're mezzing their rebukes and going defensive during GBTF you're probably not going to lose.

A marauder/sentinel who knows what he's doing will beat any class 1v1. A shadow tank fight would be close, but the sentinel would still win.

i slaughter most players, marauders who know what they are doing give me the toughest fights but i still beat them with about 20% of my hp remaining by watching their buffs and stunning them or cc'ing them when i notice they've burned their cd's.

i'd say they're certainly strong but not invincible.

Edited by Evuke

Marauders/Operatives share the place for the best duelist in this game though.

EDIT: Also good Marauders don't charge -> Cloak of Pain. They wait till the fight has begun or till they have a Dot.

Edited by Teabaker

EDIT: Also good Marauders don't charge -> Cloak of Pain. They wait till the fight has begun or till they have a Dot.

operatives don't bother me in the slightest, i don't think i've ever lost to an operative since their massive nerf, not many people play them though i admit.

i guess they might be more of a problem to low-armor classes.

Edited by Evuke

operatives don't bother me in the slightest, i don't think i've ever lost to an operative since their massive nerf, not many people play them though i admit.

i guess they might be more of a problem to low-armor classes.

Huh? You probably never met a good and geared operative.

EDIT: We had many duels between different classes: Marauder, Juggernaut, Sage, Shadow and an Scoundrel. The Scoundrel won the most duels, by far. Followed by Shadow, Sage, Marauder, Juggernaut.

Edited by Teabaker

With execption that operative HAS to open feom stealth, if he, for any reason doesnt, he is weaksauce. Marauder doesnt have such limitations (cept sorcs/sages where if he opens with leap he loses, if he doesnt he wins).

And you forgot PT/Vanguard.

Cloak of Pain takes what, 6 seconds to fade? If you're doing no DPS for 6 seconds just to get rid of that buff you almost certainly come out behind unless you managed to empty all your resources immediately and use that time to regen, and this is only possible for Assassins (heat/energy classes can't just overheat, Rage classes need to constantly generate more rage). I guess you can try to mez the guy while waiting for that to fade, but that's again only possible for a few classes and it might even make sense to CC break out of it depending on when it happened.

Marauder's cooldowns are all rather difficult to counter correctly even if you know what you're supposed to do. For example Undying Rage is in theory countered by CC, but maybe you KB and they leap back and then you can't counter it, or you stun them and they CC break out of it. All kinds of things can happen.

With execption that operative HAS to open feom stealth, if he, for any reason doesnt, he is weaksauce. Marauder doesnt have such limitations (cept sorcs/sages where if he opens with leap he loses, if he doesnt he wins).

Yea, Operative need stealth and first hit.

Powertech/Vanguards are too squishy tbh

Yep, for example sorcs tend to DoT you from the beginning, when it's just stupid, the best way to kill a marauder/sentinel, is to force him to use rebuke/cloak and THEN CC/kite till it's over. When it's over, you can go all in on him.

Huh? You probably never met a good and geared operative.

i guess that's possible, there just aren't that many ops on my server, the ones that do fight me usually go like this:

they pop out of stealth hit me with a big attack for about 20% of my hp and stun me, i pop my de-stun and damage immunity immediately, i knock them down, i then heal the ~25% or so damage they just did with the pvp med pac, pop all my damage resistance cd's (they last about 20 seconds) then we beat on each other for a bit until they get down to 20% hp remaining and i still have 80%, they vanish, i aoe and pop them out of stealth and kill them.

they seem to have very little left once you survive their initial burst attack

Edited by Evuke

Well, you are talking about 1on1. 1on1 scoundrel/operative with cooldowns kills marauder/sentinels with cooldowns, atleast the ones with brains. Same for an assassin/shadow specced bursty, they just have the right tools to burst you to the point you are forced to camo/invuln and survive long enough to finish you off after those.

Cloak of Pain takes what, 6 seconds to fade? If you're doing no DPS for 6 seconds just to get rid of that buff you almost certainly come out behind unless you managed to empty all your resources immediately and use that time to regen, and this is only possible for Assassins (heat/energy classes can't just overheat, Rage classes need to constantly generate more rage). I guess you can try to mez the guy while waiting for that to fade, but that's again only possible for a few classes and it might even make sense to CC break out of it depending on when it happened.

Marauder's cooldowns are all rather difficult to counter correctly even if you know what you're supposed to do. For example Undying Rage is in theory countered by CC, but maybe you KB and they leap back and then you can't counter it, or you stun them and they CC break out of it. All kinds of things can happen.

Correct, when Marauders use those skills, you can just stand there, taking all the damage in the face.

Marauders/Sentinels pretty much have twice as much health as any other class. A normal fight lasts 10-15 seconds, a fight against a Marauder/Sent takes 20-30 seconds with all their immunity cooldowns where they can still hit you.

Lol yes don't hit a marauder for 6 seconds after he popes rebuke/cloak, your dots refresh the buff too, i will rip you apart in those 6 seconds. you're better off just fighting through the 20% damage reduction. You can stun me and not hit me then my dots are just going to sit there and tick and crit and heal me, i have 50% dot crit, in 6 seconds a mara/sent can get up to 8 ticks off at 2% hp each.

Lol yes don't hit a marauder for 6 seconds after he popes rebuke/cloak, your dots refresh the buff too, i will rip you apart in those 6 seconds. you're better off just fighting through the 20% damage reduction. You can stun me and not hit me then my dots are just going to sit there and tick and crit and heal me, i have 50% dot crit, in 6 seconds a mara/sent can get up to 8 ticks off at 2% hp each.

I do it all the time. With my sentinel too (stun then awe if trinket, if not, i can pacify too and laugh ;d). And surprisingly ... i kill them easilly. Noone said... "stand there and do no damage". That's *********** retarded. CC and kiting 6 seconds isn't that hard. Hell i even feel bad when i am on a sniper with cloak up, and he knockbacks me and keeps shooting, instead of waiting for it to wear off.

Yes, some classes specs can't do it, but doesn't mean omgawd noone can.

Edited by Keldaur

Marauders are one of the harder class to kite given they have a leap (or is it 2?) and a movement buff. Also they do a lot of dot damage which means even if you kited them you're not necessarily taking no damage from them. If you're a melee class and you try to kite a Marauder, you're likely just going to be worse off because his dots will outdamage whatever nonexistent ranged DPS you can do. To be fair if he used Undying Rage then things can't get worse so you might as well try to kite, but they're a difficult class to deal with no matter what.

i slaughter most players, marauders who know what they are doing give me the toughest fights but i still beat them with about 20% of my hp remaining by watching their buffs and stunning them or cc'ing them when i notice they've burned their cd's.

I'd say they're certainly strong but not invincible.

i...i... I just want to be like u!!!!!

OP: if you have to ask this question, you are apparently not in the "well played" category.

I wouldn't call them invincible however, but its certainly close enough to at least understand where people are coming from with such statements.

Its kind of hilarious how this guy who sobbed nonstop about sorcs is starting to see the tide roll his way and say "whoa whoa, wait a minute!". If im not mistaken, he even was on the "nerf mercs" bandwagon for quite a while (and you definitely don't hear that much anymore). As for me, I rolled my marauder alt, and I'm going to enjoy the ez mode ride as long as I am able. Lol, and don't even talk to me about "but you have so many buttons to hit". Certain mouses and keyboard cure this problem in entirety, and it wasn't much of a problem to begin with.

And whoever said operatives are also master at 1v1....you are...mistaken :/ Even as a cloth healer spec getting taken unaware, I can survive the initial onslaught quite regularly. I then start dotting up said operative, shock, force lighting, bubble, heal, etc. It might take me forever, but unless he runs away, that operative is going to die. Though, to be perfectly honest, my dps is so low that our 1v1 duel all too often ends in the middle of some 5v5 melee as we both get killed by the others friends.

Edited by Relith

Gotta Echo the above poster about Ops. I play a sawbones healer and I dont fear a single ops/scoundrel. If I am running around on 50% health thats my own fault, full health though? They are not gonna kill me in the burst and I can put enough ground to heal myself, after that its a wittling them down game which I will win if they dont flee or get help.

A good sent/marauder will wreck me though. Its not a 5s kill or anything like that, it'll take them some time to kill me as I run around trying to put distance and get help .. but thier DPS is just far greater than my HoTs and there is no way i can stop to cast with there 20 bazzillion interrupts. It'll take a good marauder a little time to kill me, unless of course I vanish and run, in which case I am out of the fight for 10s (GG -100% heal debuff) and hes off wrecking someone else.

Bad marauders are a joke that i just turn around and kill .. good ones tho .. ouch.

well, thats all u have?

c' on u can do it better mai fellow PvP god

pelotudo, you're not worth using any good material on, i save all my good stuff for tu madre. :)

Edited by Evuke