Michigan Check-in

KindleKat

Sorry guys, but even if another game had a worse launch in terms of quality and stability... that doesn't mean that just because it's WoW it gets a free pass or that TOR is allowed to be the same without any rational thought with complaint against it.

I wasn't seeing any problems until they shut it down before the midnight launch. I got back on instantly but the entire game was slow motion and things were crashing / disconning all over the place, even I was, and I had no problems up to the midnight launch during entire EA.

This was a pretty poor mistake on their part, and they screwed the pooch with their choices in regards to the launch.

You can argue it if you like and yeah maybe some games had it harder, but that's not an excuse when you buy a game with money with the assurance that it will "work".

The WoW discussion is more comparison, not excuse, i think. A comparison that not all launches of anywhere near this scale run without flaw. However i dont think it fair to call last night a "mistake". For at least a week now they have been discussing the brief downtime for the actual game launch. They have been frankly sharing realistic timeframes, server delays and other information with customers.

Im still thinking its being managed well despite the small inconveniences. I think even the creators were abit surprised by just how much interest there is in the game. The game will work. The game has worked. The game will work again.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The WoW discussion is more comparison, not excuse, i think. A comparison that not all launches of anywhere near this scale run without flaw. However i dont think it fair to call last night a "mistake". For at least a week now they have been discussing the brief downtime for the actual game launch. They have been frankly sharing realistic timeframes, server delays and other information with customers.

Im still thinking its being managed well despite the small inconveniences. I think even the creators were abit surprised by just how much interest there is in the game. The game will work. The game has worked. The game will work again.

The creators can't feasibly be surprised that a game from BioWare with STAR WARS and STORY is going to be "popular".

Here's a good fact:

Had the servers stayed, the issues would have been much less and the queue a lot shorter. Instead, they turned them off until release. That wasn't smart.

Now, the queue is 400. 400!

The only reason I stay on this server is because I met a good guy who is by far better than anyone else I've ever met online and I really enjoy his cordial behavior. Now.. now I have to wait for an hour all because of poor maintenance.

The creators can't feasibly be surprised that a game from BioWare with STAR WARS and STORY is going to be "popular".

Here's a good fact:

Had the servers stayed, the issues would have been much less and the queue a lot shorter. Instead, they turned them off until release. That wasn't smart.

Now, the queue is 400. 400!

The only reason I stay on this server is because I met a good guy who is by far better than anyone else I've ever met online and I really enjoy his cordial behavior. Now.. now I have to wait for an hour all because of poor maintenance.

I will admit, server queue's are a pain, and often times frustrating to say the least but understand it is a balancing act between server capacity and a simple over abundance of servers in general. While the former can create queues, the later can be equally frustrating, where the entire server seems like a ghost town, and after a few weeks are forced to combine servers which is also extremely frustrating. I think what you will see over the next several weeks additional servers will come on line, coupled with the max cap being extended for each server, I am sure this will coincide with the natural ebb and flow of gamers coming into the game, and certainly gamers leaving the game, because it's just not for them.

My previous post was certainly not to excuse Bioware, but to be quite honest, this launch really went rather smooth compared to many others I've personally experienced, perfect?, no, better than most, certainly. Hang in there, I promise it will get better...omg, I sound like a Bioware lap dog...

Complaining about server queues the day the game is released is pretty hilarious.

Sure it's frustrating, but it was 100% going to happen. It's RELEASE DAY. It'll probably happen all week.

I agree. I don't actually expect the queues to get better until the end of january at the earliest.

I will admit, server queue's are a pain, and often times frustrating to say the least but understand it is a balancing act between server capacity and a simple over abundance of servers in general. While the former can create queues, the later can be equally frustrating, where the entire server seems like a ghost town, and after a few weeks are forced to combine servers which is also extremely frustrating. I think what you will see over the next several weeks additional servers will come on line, coupled with the max cap being extended for each server, I am sure this will coincide with the natural ebb and flow of gamers coming into the game, and certainly gamers leaving the game, because it's just not for them.

My previous post was certainly not to excuse Bioware, but to be quite honest, this launch really went rather smooth compared to many others I've personally experienced, perfect?, no, better than most, certainly. Hang in there, I promise it will get better...omg, I sound like a Bioware lap dog...

Woof Woof.

I don't do voice chat, it fosters that laziness that gamer's are far too known for.

I try to take breaks, hang out with people, go to church, and things like that, and not be absorbed in the games I play for too long at a time. That being said I can play for a long time every once and a while.

I'm a very mature gamer, so I iterate that and expect it when I take part in things with others (I do most things solo unless I meet some friends in the game I like or have them from offline that play too, which is unlikely).

I don't even own a microphone or headset, and I have no intention to stop using typing as a communication medium.

---

I also find people are bigger asses when they're speaking rather than typing. Oh, and I type 163 WPM.

This couldn't be further from the truth. How do you even reach a conclusion like this right after you admitt you have no dataset to draw from? I could go into detail with many examples and expirences that can back that up, but no. Voice chat may or may not be for you and that's fine. You're entitled to your oppions no matter how irrelevant and outlandish they may be, but I have to call out something that crazy when I see it.

This post reminds me of my dad and cell phones. He would always talk in a pretentious, condescending tone about how he only needs his cell phone to make calls and how it's crazy to be adding all these features to them... Maybe this post is more directed towards him, but alas I'm no psychologist.

Anyways, Grand Rapids / Holland checking in.

Edited by AutonomousGhost

I have 4 toons across 3 servers now. Curiously enough im playing Sith on Twin Spears. I hae had NO problems with lag or any disconnects. The game runs smooth and pretty on a year old rig.

que times are there, its a fact of mmo life and has been for a long time. The only time i can think of that there wasnt que times was EVE and if you want to be an intergalactic fedex man thats fine. Im not baggin the game it has a lot of good design and thought put into it.

Props to bioware for bringing their single player greatness to multiplayer greatness. I just cant believe all the whining about the MASSIVE portion of an MMO. Whine if you like its your right to :) Hell im doing it now. :D

pst hit up Th''ims-yrag on Twin Spears if you want :)

Edited by thievesprosper

looks like i have swmi on lock down by myself.. representing from the zoo

Another SW-er here. Nearish to Berrien Springs. :) Currently hanging out on Kath Hound. If anyone else is, say hi. I'm Lillari Republic side, and Saayata and Amaile Imperial side.

Kalamazoo, locked and loaded.

I was just reminiscing about my days starting off in WoW on Earthen Ring. November 24th, 2005. Never forget.

Woah! Hey! Same here! Small world. The people of ER are all I miss about that game. I was Veleda, one time guild leader of Providence. :) You?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Michiganders!

I'm in Plymouth, MI, and I'm the guild leader for a small, but growing guild, made up mostly of RL friends, so majority are also Michigan, from Lansing to Bay City to Howell, etc. We are very welcoming, so if anyone is still looking for a home and wants a place that will understand what a doorwall is, feel free to contact me!

We are on Rubat Crystal, which is an RP server. Our empire-side guild (Ghost Brigade) is light RP itself, but the server has a growing RP community for sure. If you recognize where the guild name is from, I also suggest you take a look at a convention coming up in Troy this January called ConFusion - a sci-fi/fantasy con. http://confusion.stilyagi.org/ I'm heavily involved in it, and can't help putting a plug in, since the author of Ghost Brigades will be there along with 20+ other authors. :) (no more plugs from me, I promise!)

Feel free to contact me (Tash) or my husband (Xothrato) in game, or you can message me here.

How about this 50 degree weather, eh? I LOVE this January!!

~Tash

Edited by Vylaria