If this game wasn't starwars would you be playing it?

Amyas

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The process development involved here isn't working.

* They have 6 years to release a game that got more than 4fps on the "average" machine in ilum.

* Product management can't even release a competitive pvp game.

* There are rampant exploits due to how the game is ARCHITECTED (client side timing and logic anyone?).

* Client reconnectivity and packet loss/retransmission handling is abysmal for a 2012 game.

* Lost connection? Sound is buggy and your queues are stuck.

* Game crashed while you were about to win a warzone? Oh you reconnect and are booted out of the game.

Just objectively compare this game and all its faults to its competition and there is no contest.

* It isn’t even playable on the flagship location: ilum…. the average player gets 4fps. 4 F P S. How can you possibly defend this game?

* RNG loot system. 2 equal players, spend 50 hours PVPing… one player is decked out battlemaster, the other has zero battlemaster pieces. Oh wow what a novel system.

* Unbalanced queued games. 4-12v4-12. Wow awe-inspiring.

* Patches that are obviously not tested as they introduce such blatant bugs there is no other explanation (zero valor ilum anyone?).

* A public test server on which nobody can test unless they want to level from 1-50 and gear up.

* Client side code such as timers for abilities (hey introduce some packet delay/loss and see what your spell cooldowns do).

The list goes on and on and on. The quality of product is like something that would have been pushed out in 1999, not 2012. The blatant rampant game-breaking bugs demonstrate only one thing: incompetence. The market will speak and this game will be a lesson used in the industry of “What not to do”.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect just to name examples of their art of storytelling.

We all experience the story in a BioWare MMO right now, so yes - I would play it even if it wasn't StarWars.

I did not see DA2 on your list?

That was crap.. I will not pre purchase ME3 thats for sure!

No, because for that the game is just too frustrating. I say frustrating, because a lot of elements are simply unbalanced. My smuggler (Sawbones) feels like a genuinely balanced class; until I encounter a sorcerer. Is it without reason that in PvP I encounter premades concisting entirely out of inquisitors? Is it?

On a great variety of elements this game pisses me off tremendously. I only continue because I hope the game will get better and because it's a break from the "Hurr, I'm a knight! Hurr, I'm an orc! Hurr, let's fight!" kind of games. Been there, done that.

Edited by Aerevan

I did not see DA2 on your list?

That was crap.. I will not pre purchase ME3 thats for sure!

Hmm, I would include both parts of each. Some liked it, some didn't - to each their own.

I like the way of storytelling the most - gamemechanics or artstyle aside.

That is why I don't exclude a part of DA or ME, I liked them all.

* They have 6 years to release a game that got more than 4fps on the "average" machine in ilum.

* There are rampant exploits due to how the game is ARCHITECTED (client side timing and logic anyone?).

* Client reconnectivity and packet loss/retransmission handling is abysmal for a 2012 game.

* Game crashed while you were about to win a warzone? Oh you reconnect and are booted out of the game.

Just objectively compare this game and all its faults to its competition and there is no contest.

* It isn’t even playable on the flagship location: ilum…. the average player gets 4fps. 4 F P S. How can you possibly defend this game?

* RNG loot system. 2 equal players, spend 50 hours PVPing… one player is decked out battlemaster, the other has zero battlemaster pieces. Oh wow what a novel system.

* Patches that are obviously not tested as they introduce such blatant bugs there is no other explanation (zero valor ilum anyone?).

* A public test server on which nobody can test unless they want to level from 1-50 and gear up.

* Client side code such as timers for abilities (hey introduce some packet delay/loss and see what your spell cooldowns do).

The list goes on and on and on. The quality of product is like something that would have been pushed out in 1999, not 2012. The blatant rampant game-breaking bugs demonstrate only one thing: incompetence. The market will speak and this game will be a lesson used in the industry of “What not to do”.

here's my experience:

i'm not lying here, but in ilum, standing in the imperial mob, i get 60-80fps

RNG fixed in last patch - i hit 50 just last tuesday (5 days), and i already have half champ/half cent gear, i like that progress

unbalanced queue - bug being exploited, needs to be fixed

public test server - agreed, should have a character copy or something or green frogs in swg where you can build a character for free to test right away

i'm happy with the game, sorry you aren't

Ouch I was hoping this would be SWGs pre CU and NGE not after =(

I get what the OP is trying to ask but it's difficult to separate the trademark of Starwars from the game without gutting it.

A fairer question I think would be "If you never heard of starwars before would you still play this game."

I think my answer is yes.

If this game was exactly the same and called "Spacequest" instead of "Star Wars" then I'd still be playing it.

Game is really fun, the only thing that makes me stop playing it is the fact it's so hard for me to find groups and that bums me out to no end and I need to take a break from time to time because of it. I hate missing content.

Otherwise game gets 4 stars from me.

If this was a MMO with out the star wars franchise on the label would you be playing it.

I would have to say nope no way.

I completely agree with this. If this was not internet lightsabers or internet jedi then it would be lol fail go back to EvE Online full time...

Also with how long this game was being worked on their is no reason why the leg system isn't out.

One thing that seems evident to me with this game and BW and their takeover by EA is that they ran out of development funds somewhere well into the project and needed a fresh injection of funds to actually get the game to a place where it could be released.

A situation like that explains why it took them so damn long to release something that feels years behind, underdeveloped, and glitchy as hell. From EA's perspective this was a good chance to get into some good, long running IP from star wars, and to get a development house that has a long pedigree and a good reputation.

Edited by MadJerry

No. If it wasn't Bioware / Star Wars. I would not be playing. I saw in beta that this game was not that great, bought it anyway in hopes of quick improvement (how Trion did with RIFT) but then they failed.

They have 1.7 mil subs now. I'm guessing 1.3 or less come beginning of March. This game is dieing due to terrible support and rushed release.

Yes and No.

I was attracted to the game in the first place because of the Star Wars IP, so on that basis if that hadn't been there, then 'No' I wouldn't be playing.

Having said that, if I had still noticed it was in development (even without the SW IP), the voice acting and story basis of the game would probably still have attracted me anyway. I've been playing LoTRO since it launched and have been looking for somewhere else to go for about the last year or so, so that is a strong possibility (Rift didn't hook me at all). Had I come to the game that way, then 'Yes' I would be playing, because I think this game has masses of potential, and I trust Bioware to realise it, based on their efforts to improve the initial offering thus far.

Depends on what it would be instead. Seeing as I'm loving the stories and like a lot of things about the game chances are pretty high that I would.

Same here.

If it wasn't Star Wars and was an MMO version of something like Skyrim or Fable... yes. I really enjoy this game.

Of course, I could discredit myself and say I would play it if it was a Pokemon MMO soooo... :D

Edit because of people trying to be cute. With out the starwars name and such is this a good MMO?

You know wear I am going with this it is a valid question. If this was a MMO with out the star wars franchise on the label would you be playing it.

I would have to say nope no way.

After experiencing PvP in this game and then watching Rift's PvP deteriorate to the point it has, I would say that unless they screw PvP up worse than it already is, I'll be here at least until I like something better. Said "something better" not being on my horizon atm.

It's Bioware. Hell yeah I would. The SW is only a plus.

BioWare did great with the story quests, yes. Though how do you feel they are doing with a MMO? I realize BioWare is well...BioWare. Though I feel they failed at the MMO part of this game.

Anyways, I would still probably play it for something to do until TERA or GW2. As long as I don't have to see ice lance spam.