Fix Force Wake

Kgorr

Are you talking about in PvP? Because you need to be sure that they do not have full Resolve (the white bar under their name) otherwise they will not be affected by the stun. You also have to remember that if they are taking damage the stun will only last 2 seconds, not 5. This 2 seconds starts from when they are thrown, not when they land.

Also there is no difference in the distance thrown by Force Wave and Overload. You are only imagining this.

This is in PvP and I have been thrown and immobilized (knocked down) during combat. Force Wake should have the same effect this is different to the effects of Force Wave. Edited by Kgorr

This is in PvP and I have been thrown and immobilized (knocked down) during combat. Force Wake should have the same effect this is different to the effects of Force Wave.

I think you are misunderstanding the mechanics behind Force Wake.

What happens is this:

1. You activate Force Wave
  2. If the enemy player's Resolve bar is NOT full they will be knocked back and gain Resolve
  3. If the knockback does not fill the player's Resolve bar then they will be stunned for a guaranteed 2 seconds
  4. If the enemy takes any damage after 2 seconds the stun will break and they will be free to continue playing
  5. If the enemy does not take any additional damage they will remain stunned for another 3 seconds

Force Wave and Force Wake are two different effects it's true, but Force Wake procs off of Force Wave. So if Force Wave fails to affect the enemy player (if the enemy player has full Resolve then they will not be affected) then Force Wake will not stun them.

Also if the knockback from Force Wave fills the enemy player's Resolve bar then the stun from Force Wake will not take effect.

I'm not sure if you understand the Resolve mechanic of PvP, but if you don't then I suggest you do a little bit of research on it.

Also remember that there is a difference between being knocked back and being knocked down. Sages do not have an ability that has a knock down effect.

Edited by sollinton

As I mentioned before, the guaranteed 2 second stun begins as soon as you knock the player back. That means that if they fly through the air for ~1 second they will only be effectively stunned for 1 second. This can be very hard to notice and it may look like the players are moving around again immediately.

Yes, it is very annoying that the stun from Force Wake begins immediately. Ideally the stun should start when the enemy player lands so that they suffer from the full duration of Force Wake.

A fix for this may come out in time but before you go demanding that BioWare change this you need to remember two things:

1. The time between an enemy player being thrown back and actually hitting the ground is not definite and relies on several terrain factors (if you knock them off a cliff they will take longer to hit the ground than if you knocked them up a hill). Because of this it is extremely difficult and time consuming for BioWare to properly implement a system that tracks when the player lands and applies the stun immediately after.
  2. BioWare has many more important issues right now that require their immediate attention. While the stun from Force Wake is not super efficient, it is also not technically broken and it does not have any real impact on Sage gameplay. We are perfectly capable of crushing our enemies without this talent (in fact the currently most powerful PvP Sage spec does not incorporate this talent at all).

Basically either take the talent for what it is or just ignore it altogether. It is not needed or even all that helpful as Sages have plenty of ways to escape melee enemies without the need to stun them. This may get fixed in the future but do not count on any sort of speedy response from BW.

It doesn't work either in pvp or pve. I never saw it happen.

I've never seen lots of things, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Your experiences are not the be-all-end-all of SWTOR. This talent does work, albeit not very effectively.

Force Wake worked for me in PvP. It's great at rooting a bunch of clustered imps, but it breaks on damage. It isn't a stun though. Those talking about that may be thinking of Containment in the balance tree.

This is true, but it does not break on damage until 2s have passed, making it mechanically the same as a stun for 2 seconds.

Edited by sollinton

I've never seen lots of things, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Your experiences are not the be-all-end-all of SWTOR. This talent does work, albeit not very effectively.

This is true, but it does not break on damage until 2s have passed, making it mechanically the same as a stun for 2 seconds.

False.

If the player effected by this is ranged or if you're standing in melee range of the person, he will be able to attack you since this only roots the player making him unable to move but not disabling the ability to attack.

Edited by Senaria

True enough, but seeing as there is no defensive point in knocking back a ranged and because by definition of a knockback you will not be in melee range (unless you are dumb in your positioning), your points are irrelevant. The only time this would be different from a stun defensive-wise is when you are fighting someone with a leap. Edited by sollinton

It's no where near mechanically the same as a stun.

Melee that are affected can still use defensive cd's, ranged attacks that are in range, medpacks, throw the ball, etc etc.

Casters can do all that and more.

True enough, but seeing as there is no defensive point in knocking back a ranged ...

First, knockbacks can be offensive (fire pit, anyone).

Second, that statement isn't true, either. you can defensively knock someone back to get them out of range or LOS of someone capping a door, for example, or merely to interrupt a spell they're casting.

Edited by AcerLerxt

I have invested 2 skill points into Force Wake and I never see anyone immobilized for 5 seconds, plus the distance they are thrown is only half that occurs when affected by the Sith equivalent.

Are you tab dotting everyone before you use force wave? Dmg dealt after 2 seconds ends the effect...

Like others have already said, this is a fairly crappy talent. It won't effect anyone whose resolve bar is full or that it fills in the process. That makes it very hard to rely on, and even then they are only rooted so they can still do everything except move.

Aaaaaaaaah. I thought it was a stun :D Now I see it only makes enemies unable to move. I played 2 weeks with Force Wake, and never noticed it...

Aaaaaaaaah. I thought it was a stun :D Now I see it only makes enemies unable to move. I played 2 weeks with Force Wake, and never noticed it...

I promise I am not trying to be rude, but did you not read the talent when you specced into it?

I only ask because I see people come to similar realizations daily about their own talent trees... it just makes me wonder if people read the abilities they spend points on or if they are using specs based on others' suggestions.

Either way, it's better to know late than never :D

I promise I am not trying to be rude, but did you not read the talent when you specced into it?

I only ask because I see people come to similar realizations daily about their own talent trees... it just makes me wonder if people read the abilities they spend points on or if they are using specs based on others' suggestions.

Either way, it's better to know late than never :D

The later.

And no they don't think for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

The phrase 'immobilizing them' implies a stun. I've had the ability for a long time, and either everyone I've ever knocked back (and observed) had DoTs, or the ability is broken or is simply a root (as someone suggested). In either case, I am going to drop the ability until it is fixed or changed to a proper stun (roots should be much longer in duration than stuns).

--Master Dyn

The phrase 'immobilizing them' implies a stun. I've had the ability for a long time, and either everyone I've ever knocked back (and observed) had DoTs, or the ability is broken or is simply a root (as someone suggested). In either case, I am going to drop the ability until it is fixed or changed to a proper stun (roots should be much longer in duration than stuns).

--Master Dyn

If they aren't being damaged it lasts 5 seconds. Personally I believe it shouldn't break on damage, and it's distance should be somewhat longer than 10m.

Edited by Lugh

--Master Dyn

Not sure how you interpret immobilization to being incapacitation.

Not sure how you interpret immobilization to being incapacitation.

Well, some of the definitions of immobilized on Websters Online are as follows:

6. To have paralysed or paralyzed

and

2. Make defenseless.

which I take as a stun, though by other definitions it could mean root. Bioware should just use the same terms as previous MMOs in its descriptions such as mez, stun, root, snare, etc.

--Master Dyn