Feels like classes are too similar (within the same roles)

Matoki

After playing a lot of warzones, I honestly can’t tell the difference between classes outside of obvious things - like if they're using glowy sticks or guns instead.

If you divide SWTOR's class roles into categories of healers, melee, ranged, and tank (guard-bot really) is there anything that visibly and obviously sets the different ranged classes from each other? Or the melee?

the skills and the game play style should define each class, not what they wear.

I'd hate to bring up WoW, but for the sake of argument and comparison let's take two WoW casters - mages and warlocks. mages and warlocks play vastly different from each other, their spells look different, and the way that they interact with other players in PvP is different. getting killed by a mage feels and looks different from getting killed by a warlock due to their inherent class defining abilities (frost nova/shatter combos vs fear/dots). fighting a rogue instead of a warrior feels very different.

Is there any difference between a mercenary/commando killing you from ranged compared to a gunslinger/sniper? I can't tell half the time. they both just use ranged abilities that do damage, and that's it.

I don't think the difference is enough.

I will grant you that there's really only one "caster" class in swtor - sages/sorcerers - and that sets them apart from every other class. but i'm saying that uniqueness is how it should be for EVERY ac.

it honestly doesn't feel like it makes a difference if it's a sentinel/marauder, guardian/juggernaut, assassin/shadow, or scoundrel/operative beating on me(after they're out of stealth obviously). they're all in melee, and they all do melee damage with the occasional similar-to-each-other stun/slow/root. the way I fight against each of these doesn't change much at all, and the only difference that i can tell is that certain classes just do more damage than others. there's no strategies or counter strategies on how to fight each class in this game.

"But if this is true, why are there claims of certain specific classes being OP?"

It’s simply because of the damage that they do. I’ve never seen it claimed to be because of some unique ability or utility that a certain class has. even ranged classes rarely ever kite, or even have the tools to - they just use whatever knockback that they have and keep using their damage abilities without a care.

I wanted swtor to be my WoW replacement. I haven't played wow in a while because it got old, but swtor is just not up to par aside from the storylines...

I really wanted swtor to be enjoyable, I really did. it might be enjoyable if I had never played wow (and had lower standards) but that's not possible anymore.

am I alone on this?

Edited by Matoki

Good post. I can see your point.

The upside to that level of homogenization is that it should make the classes easier to balance.

The downside to WoW PvP is that some classes & specs are too narrowly defined. Meaning, if you fiddle with their core abilities in the name of balance, you end up breaking the class for an entire expansion, or close to it. (This is why they've never been able to balance rogues past vanilla, and they occasioally break classes like warlocks and druids).

If you think that there are no unique fighting styles to each class, then I guess you've never dueled anyone? My guild and I stand around and duel on Korriban, and there is absolutely strategy to fighting each class. The problem is, all 3 WZ's are basically giant zergfest-team fights and you rarely get the opportunity to fight in small numbers like you would in (i.e.) Arathi Basin.

EDIT: my point being, in our current WZ's you mostly just roll with the team and faceroll your dmg rotation without any real thought. While it's fun for sure, I would love to see them give us a WZ with the opportunity to fight in smaller skirmishes, so we can really show skill as apposed to which zerg team has more dps.

Edited by isomemory

i wish we could equip and use other weapons instead of assigned ones for each class. for instance, BH only blasters. but if BHs can also use rifles, when choosing AC, there will be set of abilities for using rifles. same thing can be said with other classes.

Look up guild wars 2. Class skills are weapon specific and you can equip a whole array of different weapons for each class.

Look up guild wars 2. Class skills are weapon specific and you can equip a whole array of different weapons for each class.

That was already the case in GW1, its not exactly a novelty, also, GW has 8 (10 in GW2) skills at one time equipped which makes for a totally different approach anyway.

I feel the same. Been playing different charactrs all of them had the similar abilities. One to "freeze" the objective in every class. if your jedi does lightning bolts, your bounty hunter has a "ray weapon", anyway the result is similar. There are some differences, of course, but not to many. A skill that deals one great shot damage dealer in every class, another with lots of lesser bolts, a great one area weapon or power, etc.

Good post. I can see your point.

The upside to that level of homogenization is that it should make the classes easier to balance.

yeah, that's true. but I think I would prefer a less balanced game if the classes were funner and unique from each other. or, ideally, it could be like rock paper scissors - clear differences with clear rock beats scissors advantages with a little leeway for skill.

If you think that there are no unique fighting styles to each class, then I guess you've never dueled anyone?

I agree with your point about warzones. I hate playing voidstar for that reason.

what kind of unique fighting styles are you talking about? I've looked over every class' skill set and talents and there are a lot of skills similar to each other across the board... the only main differences are things like stealth and cover, which don't amount to much. each class has a different amount of stuns, knockbacks, slows, and roots - and you could make strategies based on that - but those abilities aren't class defining.

Apparently the fact that other sorc is DPS:ing the hell out of you and other is HEALING that other sorc never crossed your inbred minds?

That would be asking too much.

I don't even know... what... why would you think...

Edited by Matoki