Incendiary Missle vs Retractable Blade

Talon_Starfire

Despite it's heavy heat cost, Incendiary Missile is great and extremely useful in PvP. As long as you don't spam it on targets you don't need to, you're gravy. The extra range it has over retractable blade gives you more freedom in which to start a rail shot combo at. Against healers if my grapple is on CD, I usually IM them followed by a rail shot, Jet Charge their cast and go in for a RP/FB.

Talents wise it synergies really well with the ST/Pyro build as intimidation adding to it while isn't much, it isn't bad either.

I have a modified CP build right now and love it. I lose 10% shield chance and 2% absorption, but I get significantly higher damage and flexibility. I think PPA and IM are very worthwhile. RB's base damage is kinetic (which is affected by armor, etc) and melee while IM is ranged and pure elemental. On top of that, PPM procs quite often

Keep in mind, though, that if you guard people or play Huttball you will have less damage done than going pure offensive due to movement and faster deaths (due to Guard)

Do you agree with Taugrim below?

Thanks

Different mechanics.

Incendiary is a ranged 30m DoT with Elemental damage. RB's DoT deals Internal damage, which is a good damage type but doesn't synergize as well with that several Fire/Elemental-based talents we have.

That being said, RB is still useful for DoT'ing up opponents to prevent a cap after you die, and against targets with higher Armor.

Thanks

Yeah, pretty much.

I wouldn't pick what build I want to use based on whether you're going to be using Incendiary Missile or Retractable Blade. Pick what build you want based on how it plays. I've played all 3 of those builds and so far straight Pyro is the most fun for me. But the other 2 definitely have their perks, and are great when paired up with a healer.

Also, if the 2-piece Combat Tech set bonus ever gets fixed and doesn't bork Carbonize, I'd probably go play Iron Fist again. /shrug

Edited by Sevvy

Thanks

No because some talents raise critical flame damage and flame damage if target is below 30% hp. I dont know who taurgen is but since beta flame > internal damage for PT. End of story :D

Also lot of low level skill talents raise flame damage which make incendary missile far more effective.

Edited by Ruzena

No because some talents raise critical flame damage and flame damage if target is below 30% hp. I dont know who taurgen is but since beta flame > internal damage for PT. End of story :D

Also lot of low level skill talents raise flame damage which make incendary missile far more effective.

Taugrim A.K.A. Ed Park posted the sticky guide at the top of the Powertech forum.

The talent you're referring to, Burnout, requires 25 points in the Pyro tree. There are some more lower level talents that deal with Flame Burst/Fire damage and crit. But if this guy is considering going either 25/14/2(Iron Fist) or 21/2/18(Carolina Parakeet), Burnout is obviously not an option for him.

He would be sacrificing damage for utility/defense, but that's kind of the point.

Would I be better off going Full DPS (4/6/31)?

Thanks

TBH I looked at full DPS but the various bonuses you get from the CP build outweigh any extra damage you get from going Full Burn, IMO

I got top 4 damage done in Huttball last night just derping around and guarding people. 500-600k in Voidstar is very possible if I stood around blasting people

Would I be better off going Full DPS (4/6/31)?

Thanks

It depends on what you prefer. 4/6/31 is my exact build right now. Do you want to be a pure damage pwnage type of class? That's what a Pyro build will do for you. Or do you prefer more mobility and utility by sacrificing a little bit of damage? I still pulled 300k+ damage with Iron Fist when I played it.

If you're PvPing with a healer on a regular basis and no other tanks, you might think about one of the other specs if you like protecting your healer while he protects you. Again though, I have an issue with the 2-piece Combat Tech bonus being borked.

What about taking the points out of Carolina Parakeet's Intergrated Cardio Package and putting them in Bursting Flame?

Thanks

Don't put points in Bursting Flame, if you're PvP focused with this build, you sit in Ion as a tank all day. Mazikeen has talent points boosting both cylinders which is nice for PvE when you need to switch between DPS or Tank. This is the variation of the ST/Pyro I use and its entirely PvP focused.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301rRGMbMboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Play either the Iron Fist or ST/Pyro if you want to tank, one is more defensively inclined while one is more offensive, go full out Pyro if you wanna DPS. Lastly, the DoT from Ion doesn't do a whole lot of damage and is misleading on the talents; invest that point elsewhere.

Who the hell came up with that build name, out of curiosity?

It's a name that somehow got attached through the means of a date looking like the talent spread. Not a fan.

Edited by Rykke

What about taking the points out of Carolina Parakeet's Intergrated Cardio Package and putting them in Bursting Flame?

Thanks

You should do this. 3% endurance is nothing.

It also allows you to play a CP spec in pyro stance to hit damage medals more easily once the tank ones have been gained, or if all the dps is terrbile in your huttball group.

It gives you much better dps in pve making it a better offtank spec.

Speeds up solo pve a lot too.

You should be in ion pretty much always, but its nice to have the option of significantly more dps and less IM reliance over a few hundred health.

If you are wedded to ion stance then get cardio package, if you want the flexibility bursting flame is better.

It doesn't matter much either way, they are both just filler.

I like the Incendiary Missile due to its range. I enjoy the melee aspect of the Powertech but sometimes range is necessary. I would feel handicapped if i was not able to range with my powertech. That is why i use the CP build over the IF build.

Don't make the decision based on cindy missile vs retracto blade alone.

look at the builders. they're both 11 point talents that are going to require the sacrifice of ten skills to unlock. they shouldn't be very relevant in the decision- what you get on the way is more important.

INCENDIARY MISSILE

PROS/CONS

-long range

-long dot component

-synergized elemental damage

-high heat cost makes it prohibitive to cast without 4 vents up.

BUILDERS

-iron fist for 8% SHORYUKEN! damage

-cardio package for 3% endurance boost

-gyroscopic alignment jets, which are -awesome-

-3 dummy points in combustible cylinder talents that you won't use as a hybrid.

RETRACTABLE BLADE

-lower heat than cindy missile

-average dot component

-frontloads more damage on the initial hit

-unsynergized damage type

-requires melee range

BUILDERS

-prototype burn enhancers 6% flame crits. Yes sir.

-puncture 60% rail shot penetration for your party popper.

-advanced tools 10 seconds off your grapple cooldown is an acquired taste, but a must for a huttball enthusiast.

-hot iron nothing wrong with extra damage on your elemental spammable.

-power armor staple talent for Iron Fist.

-prototype cylinders. an optional sidegrade. doesn't really do a lot for your ion cylinder which is your main cylinder as a hybrid, more interesting for builds that lean heavier on combusty and high energy.

Personally, I prefer retracto blade. I've played both and there are times when I miss the Parakeet's cindy missile, and I think retracto is generally inferior to cindy missile in almost every way, but the fact of the matter is i find the quality of life talents that build up to retracto to be more significant. Cindy missile's builders only really help rocket punch. (Which is great, but iron fist picks up that talent anyways) Whereas Retracto's builders help itself, and flameburst, which is a go-to short range spammer.

Also, once you spec into advanced tools, you never spec out. Ten seconds is an eternity when it comes to your grapple.

Tbh I think it's the points AFTER incend. missile that are more important, not the builders.

You have to view the choice in the context of the heat returned from the RS procs when the IM dot is active(as well as the free RS's themselves), ie the whole 18 point spend in pyro.

Comparing the two abilities like for like is almost impossible as the total spend in pyro HAS to be seen as the comparative factor, not the one DoT ability each tree provides.

Tbh I think it's the points AFTER incend. missile that are more important, not the builders.

You have to view the choice in the context of the heat returned from the RS procs when the IM dot is active(as well as the free RS's themselves), ie the whole 18 point spend in pyro.

Comparing the two abilities like for like is almost impossible as the total spend in pyro HAS to be seen as the comparative factor, not the one DoT ability each tree provides.

This is correct. Look at the entire builds and see what you like. Looking at just 11 points in Pyro is short-sighted because no one is advocating an X/X/11 build.