How to make Alignment better?

Murasakikitsune

So the game's alignment system is the ancient good/evil dichotomy with almost as little depth as the Fable series. (If only there were Crunchy Baby Chicks to eat. How terribly vile!)

Almost all the choices I've seen boil down to Dark: Be a jerk :: Light : Don't be a jerk. A person's alignment with shades of the Force is not simply about good/evil. See the Jedi and Sith Codes, as well as the Gray Jedi's Code for examples as to why the current alignment is shallow.

As far as game mechanics go, when stats and restrictions come into play, alignment becomes yet another meaningless statistic to be gamed. "Defense Rating, Critical Rating, Cunning, Endurance, Morality, Power, Surge Rating..."

I believe it should exist only for flavor.

So what should Alignment be used for?

I think there are a few ways to boost the flavor of a character through alignment.

One example could be alignment-sensitive gear. Rather than light-side vendors and dark-side vendors, make a single item that adapts its appearance to the user. Trust me, this isn't difficult for Bioware to do. If it is, they can hire me.

Another thing would be alignment-sensitive abilities. Take Project/Shock and Telekinetic Throw/Force Lightning. Have them not as separate abilities for the classes, but the same ability that works on a spectrum.

Neutral characters could say, have them as Project and Telekinetic Throw.

Dark I characters begin to have electrically-charged pebbles and rocks. Starting at Dark II or so, it simply becomes electricity. Maybe blue, slowly shifting to purple.

Light I characters could begin to have more of a calm 'force aura' around the rocks, and starting at Light II it could be a Force "wave" of sorts, like a telekinetic 'punch', so to speak.

Restrictions:

I think restrictions are the bane of good games. But I've got a good idea on how to change item restrictions into something more enjoyable.

Instead of restricting items based on alignment, have them buff the alignment. Quite similar to how Fable 2 worked, wear a dreadfully evil item, and it shifts your alignment to evil, or wear delightfully good item and your alignment shifts more to good. (Dark and Light respectfully in this game.)

Some items may also impose a cap to how Light or Dark a character can be while wearing the item. A Jedi using an ancient Rakata relic could be heavily influenced by its power; he can't be totally light while using it.

What are your thoughts? Are these good ideas, or can the alignment system be improved in different ways?

flashpoints are the farmable evil crunchy chickens.

The problem with your plan though is what you've mentioned it'd bring a whole new level of restrictions to the game, and besides that would take a complete re-working of the system.

Personally I'm hopeful the future will see extensive orange gear/mounts/pets restricted to light/dark/neutral.

flashpoints are the farmable evil crunchy chickens.

The problem with your plan though is what you've mentioned it'd bring a whole new level of restrictions to the game, and besides that would take a complete re-working of the system.

Personally I'm hopeful the future will see extensive orange gear/mounts/pets restricted to light/dark/neutral.

I don't think it would take much effort at all really. Although Alignment may not be a buffable 'stat' at the moment, it could be converted into one very easily. At that point, simply remove alignment restrictions from a lot of gear, and add buffs to them instead.

As for 'morphing' gear that adapts to your alignment, that probably would take some extra work for those items in question, but not nearly as much as one might think. When calling the function to assemble a character into one singular character model, that in-turn calls a function to determine which model/texture to apply to the clothes. For alignment-morphing gear, this second function would simply have to return a different value based on alignment.

Good suggestions.

Maybe they could do something around the KOTOR model, where being more heavily light side r darkside lessened the force point costs of certain abilities.

Eg: Telekentic throw costs 30 FP baseline, but if you're Light V, it is reduced to 10 FP.

Edited by Dayfax

Good suggestions.

Maybe they could do something around the KOTOR model, where being more heavily light side r darkside lessened the force point costs of certain abilities.

Eg: Telekentic throw costs 30 FP baseline, but if you're Light V, it is reduced to 10 FP.

I think that gets back into gaming certain concepts which are not meant to be gamed. When actual gameplay is influenced by alignment, alignment becomes little more than another stat to take care of, losing its true meaning. I think it should be purely aesthetic.