Complainers = .05% of SWTOR

iheartnyc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So they were included incidentally as part of a press release that contained actual financial information, the information that the SEC cares about. Find me the regulation that says MMO subscription numbers must be reported to the SEC. I'll be waiting.

You are so wrong.

Subscription numbers do not need to be reported, at all. In fact, generally, such numbers are not. They are not audited by accountants and therefore are NOT accepted by the SEC as part of a listed company's required periodic filings. There is NO reason to file such subscription numbers (they are confidential operational numbers) other than marketing purposes (look how great we're doing!), because there is a liability issue (litigation risk) because any statement that is published by a public company is subject to SEC regulations and SOX. In other words, if you are going to file subscription numbers, if they are incorrect, then you risk violation of securities laws and shareholder litigation.

Section 17(a) of the Securities Act of 1933, Sections 10(b) and 13(b)(5) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and Exchange Act Rules 10b 5 and 13b2-1; Sections 13(a), 13(b)(2)(A) and 13(b)(2)(B) of the Exchange Act and Exchange Act Rules 12b-20, 13a-1, 13a-11, and 13a-13; Exchange Act Rules 13a-14 and 13b2-2 and Section 304 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Take a look at some of these provisions. Most notably, Rule 10b-5. See my prior post, on how misstatements in a press release resulted in SEC enforcement proceedings.

Thank you.

Edited by iheartnyc

there were 1.7 million active subscribers as of 1 week ago. Said number was growing as of february 1.

When people experience a problem in-game, they will either file a bug report, quit the game, or come to forums.

To be conservative in my math, i will assume there are 1,000 unique complainers a day on the forums posting about a "breaking bug."

1,000 / 1,700,000 = .05% of the swtor population

using my very generous assumptions, only .05% of the swtor population hate the game enough to post about it. The other 99.95% are either enjoying the game, or have moved on silently without saying a word.

The .05% are also the most raucous and voisterous, making wild generalized claims about how the game is a failure. They purport to represent the other 99.95% of the population.

Thank you.

^Words of Wisdom^

During the time I played WoW never once did I actually post on their forums. Aside from all the bugs that weren't game breaking I was having "fun." (Spoilers: I wasn't. >.>)

You are so wrong.

Subscription numbers do not need to be reported, at all. In fact, generally, such numbers are not. They are not audited by accountants and therefore are NOT accepted by the SEC as part of a listed company's required periodic filings. There is NO reason to file such subscription numbers (they are confidential operational numbers) other than marketing purposes (look how great we're doing!), because there is a liability issue (litigation risk) because any statement that is published by a public company is subject to SEC regulations and SOX. In other words, if you are going to file subscription numbers, if they are incorrect, then you risk violation of securities laws and shareholder litigation.

Section 17(a) of the Securities Act of 1933, Sections 10(b) and 13(b)(5) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and Exchange Act Rules 10b 5 and 13b2-1; Sections 13(a), 13(b)(2)(A) and 13(b)(2)(B) of the Exchange Act and Exchange Act Rules 12b-20, 13a-1, 13a-11, and 13a-13; Exchange Act Rules 13a-14 and 13b2-2 and Section 304 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Take a look at some of these provisions. Most notably, Rule 10b-5. See my prior post, on how misstatements in a press release resulted in SEC enforcement proceedings.

Thank you.

Umm... you just proved my point. I wasn't saying that subscription numbers had to be included. I was saying that they didn't have to be included, but that they just happened to be included because they were on a press release that also contained actual financial information.

EDIT: I asked you to find the regulation because I was fairly certain it didn't exist.

Edited by DarthSeidhr

Umm... you just proved my point. I wasn't saying that subscription numbers had to be included. I was saying that they didn't have to be included, but that they just happened to be included because they were on a press release that also contained actual financial information.

EDIT: I asked you to find the regulation because I was fairly certain it didn't exist.

What are you talking about? Are you confused with all the facts and technical information?

"They just happened to be included?" No! They don't! Every single word on a press release (which was issued by the CEO to announce 3Q earnings, a very big deal by the way, because for one, any CEO convited of securities fraud can uhm, no longer be CEO of any public company for rest of life), has been parsed over by a law firm and accountants and bankers. They are not "just happened to be" included. It is a very strategic and calculated decision.

There is no regulation "requiring subscription numbers". That would be silly, given most companies don't have "subscribers". There are however regulations requiring disclosure of material facts (which subscription numbers may be). If you want a corporate law lesson, here it is:

"Rule 10b-5: Employment of Manipulative and Deceptive Practices":

It shall be unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, by the use of any means or instrumentality of interstate commerce, or of the mails or of any facility of any national securities exchange,

(a) To employ any device, scheme, or artifice to defraud,

(b) To make any untrue statement of a material fact or to omit to state a material fact necessary in order to make the statements made, in the light of the circumstances under which they were made, not misleading, or

© To engage in any act, practice, or course of business which operates or would operate as a fraud or deceit upon any person,"

So, if it is necessary to disclose Subscription Numbers to make any statement not misleading, then it is required to be disclosed. Which is why, Blizzard is releasing their fail subscription numbers each quarter, as it shows that their product is failing and is serving as a warning to investors (WoW are going down, please don't sue us).

Edited by iheartnyc

I've played a ton of MMOs in my years from Planetside and CoH to DaoC and WoW. I even played that short lived Richard Garriott space trip fundraiser Tabula Rasa.

Not a single one did I participate on the official forums. This was the first MMO that i've actually taken the time to look at and even participate in the official forums and i'm glad I never did in the past.

This place is full of those people that throw tantrums and piss and moan about the smallest things like spoiled entitled children.

In my job we work with small businesses who purchase product from us in orders of upwards to 25-30k a week. Sometimes there are problems that cost people hundreds if not thousands of dallars and they complain less than these spoiled gamers crying about a game they spent 60 bucks on like they are some high profile investor.

There were 1.7 million active subscribers as of 1 week ago. Said number was growing as of February 1.

When people experience a problem in-game, they will either file a bug report, quit the game, or come to forums.

To be conservative in my math, I will assume there are 1,000 unique complainers a day on the forums posting about a "breaking bug."

1,000 / 1,700,000 = .05% of the SWTOR population

Using my VERY generous assumptions, only .05% of the SWTOR population hate the game enough to post about it. The other 99.95% are either enjoying the game, or have moved on silently without saying a word.

The .05% are also the most raucous and voisterous, making wild generalized claims about how the game is a failure. They purport to represent the other 99.95% of the population.

Thank you.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Joy, another one of these arguments. TOR is doing well, it has 1.7 million subs and growing as per 1 week ago. That is more than satisfactory for any game company and a good sign of a successful game. Will the numbers drop or "TORtanic" (that one was clever and made me laugh) or rise to ultimate super WoW killer status or become god, etc etc etc, no point to arguing any of this. None of you are qualified to judge that (including me) because none of us have all the information, none of us are professionals in this area (we don't work for BW), and honestly there is no point to making claims one way or the other.

Quit being babies, the game is successful, how long it lives now is the only toss up, and its just that, a toss up (depending on a large number of factors). But as of now it has a large player base, and that base is growing, so be happy.

P.S. Yes, you can look at forum numbers and see most of the players do not in fact post and/or read the forums very often or at all. And naturally people come here to complain about something they are emotional about versus "hey this game is fun let me stop playing to go to the forums to say 'this game is fun'." Human nature. Whiners here are a minority of the total playerbase. Are there problems? Always, this will never end in any game. Is BW/EA working on it? Yes. As fast as you would like? Completely reliant on individual opinions.

Edited by MrXen

You are so wrong.

Subscription numbers do not need to be reported, at all. In fact, generally, such numbers are not.

So, if it is necessary to disclose Subscription Numbers to make any statement not misleading, then it is required to be disclosed. Which is why, Blizzard is releasing their fail subscription numbers each quarter, as it shows that their product is failing and is serving as a warning to investors (WoW are going down, please don't sue us).

What are you talking about? Are you confused with all the facts and technical information?

You apparently can't even keep your own argument straight. And trust me, facts and technical information don't phase me. My first degree is in accounting, and I'm currently in my second to last year of an environmental science degree.

I've played a ton of MMOs in my years from Planetside and CoH to DaoC and WoW. I even played that short lived Richard Garriott space trip fundraiser Tabula Rasa.

Not a single one did I participate on the official forums. This was the first MMO that i've actually taken the time to look at and even participate in the official forums and i'm glad I never did in the past.

This place is full of those people that throw tantrums and piss and moan about the smallest things like spoiled entitled children.

In my job we work with small businesses who purchase product from us in orders of upwards to 25-30k a week. Sometimes there are problems that cost people hundreds if not thousands of dallars and they complain less than these spoiled gamers crying about a game they spent 60 bucks on like they are some high profile investor.

Totally agree.

You apparently can't even keep your own argument straight. And trust me, facts and technical information don't phase me. My first degree is in accounting, and I'm currently in my second to last year of an environmental science degree.

His argument is that while they don't need to be disclosed to the SEC, when they are (like in the press release) they have to be accurate.

His argument is that while they don't need to be disclosed to the SEC, when they are (like in the press release) they have to be accurate.

Just to qualify this, sometimes they do have to be disclosed (pursuant to Rule 10b-5), if the failure to so disclose would make any statement materially misleading. Materiality threshold has been discussed at length in that other thread I made regarding the Feb. 1 press release.

So a company that thrives on subscriber numbers, would need to disclose subscribers.

Same rationale as to why car companies have to disclose number of cars sold on top of revenues despite the fact that revenues is derived from units sold.

There were 1.7 million active subscribers as of 1 week ago. Said number was growing as of February 1.

To be conservative in my math, I will assume there are 1,000 unique complainers a day on the forums posting about a "breaking bug."

1,000 / 1,700,000 = .05% of the SWTOR population

Using my VERY generous assumptions, only .05% of the SWTOR population hate the game enough to post about it. The other 99.95% are either enjoying the game, or have moved on silently without saying a word.

Thank you.

Trust it mate . But you'll excuse me if meanwhile I will bloodly ROTFL :D

Just to qualify this, sometimes they do have to be disclosed (pursuant to Rule 10b-5), if the failure to so disclose would make any statement materially misleading. Materiality threshold has been discussed at length in that other thread I made regarding the Feb. 1 press release.

So a company that thrives on subscriber numbers, would need to disclose subscribers.

Same rationale as to why car companies have to disclose number of cars sold on top of revenues despite the fact that revenues is derived from units sold.

So what happened to:

You are so wrong.

Subscription numbers do not need to be reported, at all.

?