Is there any point to Cybertech ?

Lostpharoah

Well Im now level 50 republic JK, Cybertech(400), Underworld trading(400), Scavenging(400).

I have purchased all the schematics from the crew trainer on fleet station, for cybertech.

Ive also RE'ed all class 22 armoring and mods to purples.

Basically as far as I know I have the ability to make the best armoring and mods available based on the source schematics obtained from the crew trainer on fleet station.

However the best I can make are easily out done via pvp vendor gear or daily gear purchased from npc's .. the gear these npc's sell ar purple 23a , b or c's. I think ive seen some 24's as well.

So really whats the point of cybertech or any crafting for that matter when you can purchase better then you can ever make from an npc..

Or am I missing something?

p.s REAL bummed I did not go Biochem like the rest of the world ... sucks not contending in pvp because i did not choose bio chem.

Yeah, this is why the crew skill system in TOR is not all that hot. I like the way they do it. (Although I think the mission skills could stand to be a bit cheaper) It's more fun to level than in other games. But you don't really get anything worthwhile in most of these skills.

They do seem to be a bit more for leveling as opposed to when you're 50. But if you want to level these up while leveling and get good things from them then you need a mission skill which is a huuuuge money sink from what I've seen.

I agree. I have a 400 Artifice, and a 400 Cybertech. my thought was that i could make my own armoring, mods and enhancements, therefore be able to be competitive with end game gear, but still be able to use orange gear so that i dont look just like everyone else.

Unfortunately, the stuff i can craft is junk that no one wants to buy and that is not as good as dailies reward gear or ops gear. If the items we can craft are not as good as dailies and not not competitive with ops gear, then why bother having crafting professions? And why bother having orange gear in the game for that matter - if we're all going to be forced to look the same and all wear the same tier gear to be competitive anyway...

CyberTech sucks. Do yourself a favour and go biochem. Even nerfed, Biochem is infinitely more useful than CyberTech. Only reason I'm keeping it for now is to gear out my alts and guildies alts since i have almost all the REs.

But in the endgame, it's worthless. Grenades were mediocre at best before the nerf given the 5 minute cooldown and now they are just a joke. Not to mention the crafted speeders are a laugh. Not much cheaper in terms of materials to cost ratio and they look like ****.

Edited by Arotec

I hate to say it, but it's absolutely true. There is no reason in the world to choose Cybertech. I wish I could go back and warn myself not to waste my time with it, but now I have so many purple patterns for Earpieces that I just can't force myself to drop it. It's so dispiriting.

Reverse Engineering for the purple Armoring and Mods I thought I would need when I hit 50 has to be one of the biggest let downs in this game. My jaw literally dropped when I saw what the commendation dealer on Belsavis had for the end-game daily quests, and for so little cost.

The Armoring and Mods are pointless, the speeders are recolors of standard models, the damage from grenades is laughable, no one gives a crap about droid parts on Imperial side, and ship upgrades are something you can buy from the GTN--if you even care about space combat after the two-hundredth time.

Earpieces WITH augment slots are good, but they require a huge investment to get what you want, and again, you could probably eventually find what you wanted on the GTN.

Am I missing something?

Everyone keeps telling me that I should drop Cybertech now that I have the Earpiece I want, and it's really, really hard to disagree. BioChem beckons.

I like cybertech alot. Very useful and versatile profession.

1) Perfectly supports moddable gear which is only getting better after next content patch. Perfect for you and levelling alts.

2) Access to relatively rare mounts

3) Cheap ship upgrades for you and your alts

4) Earpieces

5) grenades with cc. extra cc is a massive advantage in pvp

I think some of you need to dry those tears, cybertech is fine as is and is only get better once they embrace the whole "gadget" aspect of it more.

Edited by TheRealRainier

I like cybertech alot. Very useful and versatile profession.

1) Perfectly supports moddable gear which is only getting better after next content patch. Perfect for you and levelling alts.

2) Access to relatively rare mounts

3) Cheap ship upgrades for you and your alts

4) Earpieces

5) grenades with cc. extra cc is a massive advantage in pvp

I think some of you need to dry those tears, cybertech is fine as is and is only get better once they embrace the whole "gadget" aspect of it more.

I would say it's more about facing reality than it is about tears.

1) Commendations perfectly support moddable gear, too. I leveled fine just depending on those. This is an EASY game. I had 400 Cybertech by level 28, and only very rarely did I feel the need to make my own modifications. Crafted Armoring and Mods aren't needed at all.

2) Rare mounts? Are you kidding? The level 50 is a recolored version of the level 40, which is a recolor of a mount that ANYONE can get. If that's your idea of rare, then OK, but it's not mine. Still, if it didn't cost so much more than any other speeder, I wouldn't mind as much.

3) Credits fall like rain in this game. Who cares if you save a few thousand on ship upgrades? They're on the GTN. If you already have a level 50, then you really, really don't care.

4) As I said before, Earpieces are the one bright spot for Cybertech. However, it's not like they're BoP. You can get them without Cybertech, and it will cost a whole lot less in the long run.

5) Grenades might be nice in PVP, but they're irrelevant elsewhere. Which is funny, because they depend on PVE materials. Opposed to that, BioChem is useful everywhere.

Honestly, the case you make is only valid for someone who PVPs, is broke, and has weak alts who need up-to-date gear. Everyone else will probably shrug and just go with BioChem. Actually, even most people who fit that description will still go with BioChem. Huh.

2 mil profit in 1 weekend with minimal work selling the crafted ship components.

You make the armor plates, mods and ear pieces for your alts as they level.

As your character with cyber levels it doesnt need to buy speeders, you make your own.

No....no reason at all.....

1) Commendations perfectly support moddable gear, too. I leveled fine just depending on those. This is an EASY game. I had 400 Cybertech by level 28, and only very rarely did I feel the need to make my own modifications. Crafted Armoring and Mods aren't needed at all.

7 commendations for each armor plate, barrel or hilt. 5 pieces of armor, that will be 42 commendations for your 5 pieces of armor and the hilt/barrel and 12 for the mods. 54 total every few levels. That is not something that happens unless you waste alot of time doing the heroics.

2) Rare mounts? Are you kidding? The level 50 is a recolored version of the level 40, which is a recolor of a mount that ANYONE can get. If that's your idea of rare, then OK, but it's not mine. Still, if it didn't cost so much more than any other speeder, I wouldn't mind as much.

Rare, not rare, doesnt mater, its money you dont spend.

3) Credits fall like rain in this game. Who cares if you save a few thousand on ship upgrades? They're on the GTN. If you already have a level 50, then you really, really don't care.

I want in on the rain. I was broke until I was able to sell the purple ship mods. Of course now none of my alts will every be poor.

Honestly, the case you make is only valid for someone who PVPs, is broke, and has weak alts who need up-to-date gear. Everyone else will probably shrug and just go with BioChem. Actually, even most people who fit that description will still go with BioChem. Huh.

Well duh, why do anything craft oriented if it isnt for pvp, and alt or for money. Thats why you take cyber, it fills all those needs

7 commendations for each armor plate, barrel or hilt. 5 pieces of armor, that will be 42 commendations for your 5 pieces of armor and the hilt/barrel and 12 for the mods. 54 total every few levels. That is not something that happens unless you waste alot of time doing the heroics.

I want in on the rain. I was broke until I was able to sell the purple ship mods. Of course now none of my alts will every be poor.

Well duh, why do anything craft oriented if it isnt for pvp, and alt or for money. Thats why you take cyber, it fills all those needs

You also get mod rewards and gear rewards in addition to the commendation rewards. As I said, I leveled just fine depending on those. You cannot tell me that it cannot be done, because I did it. An easy game does not require that you stay perfectly up to date. And I skipped all heroics. You can do perfectly fine leveling up in this game without ever using a crafted item.

Cybertech speeders cost MORE than normal speeders. A LOT more. I estimated the level 50 to cost 140k to make, so I skipped it and bought one just as good for 55k.

Pretty much all profession make money. You have to pretty much try to NOT have millions of credits in this game. Yes, you can make tons of credits with Cybertech, but you can also make tons of credits with BioChem, or just about anything else.

The point is, at the end of the day, people are dropping Cybertech all over the place because other stuff is better, and they aren't terrified that they won't be able to level up alts without it. If you're doing any kind of raiding, then there is ZERO reason to keep Cybertech, especially if you already have a good Earpiece. You can end up with millions simply by doing daily quests at level 50. No one is going to stress about buying speeders and mods and ship upgrades.

A friend just gave me a very cool ship mod, that I'd have loved to use except that it was among the items that can only be used by someone with a particular skill -- in this case, cybertech (which I do not have). As far as I can tell, there's no equivalent item I'll ever be able to get since I don't have cybertech.

It is money you spend, actually. The 110% one, for example, takes 10 mandalorian iron. That alone is worth 80k+ on my server. A 110% speeder costs 55k.

The speeders are not much of a bonus to Cybertech.

That said, you can make money with Cybertech, even on things besides earrings. But like most tradeskills, it has issues. The two biggest ones being a lack of a complete set of recipes and the number of rare mats used in mods and armor mods. Give us all the recipes we should have and half the rare mats used and they'd be quite viable. For all people like to babble about the daily Heroics and their rewards, the reality is that you can get stuff for your character. But, unless you're a BH, you cannot get mods for most of your companions. Cunning mods, for example, would sell extremely well. Both DPS and tanks make use of their healing companions, but cunning classes are the least played.

I wouldn't drop it just yet. They stated that changes were coming, and we all know how things can turn on a dine. I'd hang tight, ramp up an alt, do some end game, wait and see.

I actually agree with you there, for the most part. I've already made a significant investment in Cybertech, millions of credits worth, with 16 level 49 purple earpiece schematics. I'm not dropping it yet, as much as I covet what BioChem brings to the table.

But if the next major patch goes by and I'm still dropping large amounts on the GTN for Stims with no end-game usefulness for Cybertech, then I will be yet another BioChem convert.

However, for anyone new to the game, I still say there is no compelling reason to pick Cybertech.

I would say it's more about facing reality than it is about tears.

4) As I said before, Earpieces are the one bright spot for Cybertech. However, it's not like they're BoP. You can get them without Cybertech, and it will cost a whole lot less in the long run.

5) Grenades might be nice in PVP, but they're irrelevant elsewhere. Which is funny, because they depend on PVE materials. Opposed to that, BioChem is useful everywhere.

You can't get earpieces with augment slots out side of making them your self.

There's no point in ALL crafting skills in this game at level 50 except for biochem.

We have a winner!

But Cybertech is probably the worst, since we get nothing for crit-crafting our mods, but the armor/weapon makers can make orange gear with augment slots (in a future patch), making all other gear only good for as long as it takes to rip the mods out.

Edited by Felioats

CyberTech sucks. Do yourself a favour and go biochem. Even nerfed, Biochem is infinitely more useful than CyberTech. Only reason I'm keeping it for now is to gear out my alts and guildies alts since i have almost all the REs.

But in the endgame, it's worthless. Grenades were mediocre at best before the nerf given the 5 minute cooldown and now they are just a joke. Not to mention the crafted speeders are a laugh. Not much cheaper in terms of materials to cost ratio and they look like ****.

Bitter much?

I find cybertech as well as other crew skills mostly advantageous for you while your leveling and for pimping your alts. I like Biochem but it serves it's purpose for that one character. Unless you make stacks of blues for your alts.

People that band wagon biochem as the only crew skill to level are the same people that make me rich from GTN. It's useful for one toon but a waste for every one you make to have it.

If you only plan to make one toon then Biochem is the way to go.

step one , get cybertech and start REing earpieces

step two , level while getting all your mod/earpiece needs

step three , craft a good endgame earpiece for all your companions and yourself

step 4 , get dirt cheap schematics for epic ship parts on gtn and build them for your ship and your alts

step 5 after you got all you need out of cybertech, drop it and pick up whatever you fancy, problem solved, NOTHING cyber makes is bop except reusable bombs