I Like TOR Fight Mechanics (so far)

Despairity

I am only level 28 so maybe I am wrong here, but I like the TOR fight mechanics for heroics. What I like about them (compared to other MMOs that I have experience with) is that the flow of battle changes during long fights.

For example, I play a sniper. Before the battle starts I get into position and crouch. The operative saps someone then the tank moves in. I get a few shots off but before long one of the bad guys engages me for melee. Sometimes the tank can pick him up but not always. When the tank can't re-establish agro, I am forced to stun/vibroknife my assailant then finish with a flashbang or just electrocute/stun my assailant and in either case reposition myself. This continues until one side wins.

This is different from other MMO fights where the tank moves in, grabs all agro, and all the baddies glom on to the tank and ranged DPS just has to sit there and snipe targets. The only complication comes in for DPS if they have to use some special ability at a particular time (e.g., interrupts) or do some "simon says" silly fight mechanic (jump when the boss says blah, run when he says something else, stop all actions when he says yet something else, etc.).

Maybe things change as we level, but at the present time, I am liking the dynamic flow of TOR combat.

I am only level 28 so maybe I am wrong here, but I like the TOR fight mechanics for heroics. What I like about them (compared to other MMOs that I have experience with) is that the flow of battle changes during long fights.

For example, I play a sniper. Before the battle starts I get into position and crouch. The operative saps someone then the tank moves in. I get a few shots off but before long one of the bad guys engages me for melee. Sometimes the tank can pick him up but not always. When the tank can't re-establish agro, I am forced to stun/vibroknife my assailant then finish with a flashbang or just electrocute/stun my assailant and in either case reposition myself. This continues until one side wins.

This is different from other MMO fights where the tank moves in, grabs all agro, and all the baddies glom on to the tank and ranged DPS just has to sit there and snipe targets. The only complication comes in for DPS if they have to use some special ability at a particular time (e.g., interrupts) or do some "simon says" silly fight mechanic (jump when the boss says blah, run when he says something else, stop all actions when he says yet something else, etc.).

Maybe things change as we level, but at the present time, I am liking the dynamic flow of TOR combat.

You haven't played an MMO since about 2001, have you.

It's been a long time since I played an MMO where endgame fights were straight tank & spank. If you played Rift at release, that was a game that had some challenging boss mechanics that forced you to keep your head on a swivel. TOR is third-grade stuff.

Edited by Mannic

You haven't played an MMO since about 2001, have you.

It's been a long time since I played an MMO where end-game boss fights were straight tank & spank.

Only GW, WOW, Rift. I specifically rule out "tank and spank" when I mentioned silly fight mechanics.

It's really not much impressive when you played games with great combat like Champions Online or even Age of Conan. It's pretty old and un interactive.

It really sounds to me like the OP is mistaking poor aggro control by his main-tank for some kind of expertly engineered "challenge" in the content.

It's really not much impressive when you played games with great combat like Champions Online or even Age of Conan. It's pretty old and un interactive.

I have not played those two.

I didn't claim TOR fight mechanics are great or even the bestest ever, only that I liked it so far. And I refuse to publish a post that is just another whinefest.

Lol @ the guy saying all fights are tank and spank. You obviously have never done Black Talon, Hammer Station, Cademimu, Foundry, Boarding Party, and the rest of the Flashpoints.

Who said that? If you're referring to my reply, read it again.

The OP was suggesting that the fights in other games are primarily tank & spank and I was saying it's been a long time since that's been the case.

It's been a long time since I played an MMO where endgame fights were straight tank & spank. If you played Rift at release, that was a game that had some challenging boss mechanics that forced you to keep your head on a swivel. TOR is third-grade stuff.

I have to kinda agree. I'm enjoying the end game content (mostly because of the group aspect), but the regular use of enrage timers seems like the easy way to make a fight hard. I'd prefer some nifty mechanics to keep us on our toes. The occasional enrage timer acting as a gear check is understandable, having them on almost every boss? Meh.