Are every single person who plays this game male?

RepublicChicken

This sounds like a stupid question, but are everyone who plays male? Try to create a female character, then you'll quickly see what I mean. Everywhere you go, it's Lord this, Sir that. Not once I have anyone ever called my female char's Lady, ma'am, miss or anything like that. Even Lord of the Rings Online had Lady and Heroine as titles.

The best excuse I've heard is that the people in the game greets the rank, not the person. And true, that might make a bit of sense. I mean if you are in the military, the fellow soldiers and officers could call you sir instead of ma'am. But and think about it. You're a female smuggler, dealing with the black markets all the time, doing whatever you want and are only loyal to the money. You have no problem working with criminals if they pay more. Then you go to a planet far out in the middle of nowhere and meet a random person just as screwed up as you are, and who doesn't care about the Republic or Empire at all. And yet, he calls you Sir because he greets the rank? Seriously?

It shouldn't take much to fix this, but it would help a lot. Lord of the Rings Online had the same problem at launch, but even they changed it. So why can't Old Republic?

I just don't see why they can't refer to women as women. Even good, old Tolkien was less sexist than this, and that says a bit. I just think it's a major turn-off for me. True, complaining about it on the forum might not be a good idea, especially as BioWare don't give a damn about us or the game. Just thought I might check if someone else feels the same way. Then again no one seem to care, it proves my point that most people on the forum are male. Not surprisingly, when you think about it.

Yup, I think this is silly too. I understand the lore reasons for calling everyone "Lord" but that doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it and I think it should be changed. And I definitely draw the line at everyone being called "sir".

Suck it up, call your actors and actresses back and re-record the lines, Bio. This should be changed.

Edited by bebedelette

Referring to a woman as Lord or Sir is completely keeping with SW Lore.

Is calling a BH a sith SW lore?

If you are doing the correliia 47-49 quests one guy will say that I am not with the imperials so he tries to bribe his way out and then another guys calls me a sith.

Little things that show how much they really care.

Gender Equality starts at the honorific level. Everyone (women) always want equal treatment as long as it's different than all the men's equal treatment. :p

When Gender Equality goes all the way down to how people of lower rank or status address you politely, it's a more deeply ingrained philosophy and custom than here in the real world.

They could always go the other direction and make everything super sexist, give women completely different quests than men and make them stay around bases and do chores wearing long gowns with aprons, that oughtta shut some of you up. :o

Then again no one seem to care, it proves my point that most people on the forum are male. Not surprisingly, when you think about it.

I am a female player and I do not like being called 'sir' in game but can live with it. There are more important changes I would like to see take place. :)

I think more people who play games regularly are single, yes, but not necessarily male. And couples are getting into gaming more and more these days!

The title of the thread uses 'single' in its literal sense rather than as a designation for unattached individuals.

'I ate every single one of those enchiladas.'

I am a female player and I do not like being called 'sir' in game but can live with it. There are more important changes I would like to see take place. :)

This.

"Sir" is used as an honorific for male and females alike at the highest levels of the military structure. I'm not offended by this, despite being a female. It's not that serious. Instead of wasting the resources on rerecording everything, they could spend those same resources on making the class quests more different between the ACs. This way, people who want an Assassin AND a Sorcerer Inquisitor don't have to regrind the same story line in melee format.

Roll a female smuggler. People will call you Ma'am since you have no miltary rank.

Really? Because I'm female and every female character I play gets called 'Sir' over and over. Even the stupid story board screens when loading will use the male pronouns like 'sets off to find a way to get rid of the voice in HIS head'.

Seriously ***?

I've read this is because in the 'Star Wars' universe, ranks and titles are all gender neutral.

However when even the loading screen (which is just a bunch of text) giving my current story plot point can't get my gender right, I believe this gender neutral things is just a crock of you know what stated by Bioware so they could be cheap as hell and not actually have voice overs or text in game with proper feminine pronouns and titles.

And I not offended by it, just a bit miffed that Bioware is more than happy to take my money, but is too cheap and lazy to care enough to make my story immersion as seamless as that of a male player.

Edited by DawnAskham

first off, i am female so my opinion can't be call "sexist jabber"... that being said

the women that find this "offensive" are way too touchy. Every time i get called "sir" in game, i think "you d**n well better know my rank!" not "omg ima girl they called me sir boooo" And what's really funny, if (it's not gonna happen so big IF) they do change it, other women will start complaining that "there's no equal treatment! i wanna get called what the men are!" just accept it for the honorific that it is and move on, i mean if it really bothers you that much there is this spiffy thing you can do, it's called "sub cancellation"

I believe this gender neutral things is just a crock of you know what stated by Bioware

No it's been that way for some time in the SW lore, in books, comics and other sources. Bioware didn't start it.

Think about it though, there are who knows how many races out there, and some with completely different biology then humans. Hutts for example don't have a gender really, and adopt a male or female gender depending on personal whim.

There's a number of other species that had either more genders or only one or none.

So to try to make titles to account for all those different species simply isn't feasible. So they adopt one and make it all inclusive. But this is not something that started with Bioware, they are just continuing the standard.

having read the posts i feel obligated to say a few things. First of all its obvious that u have no idea where the words "sir" and "ma'am" come from. These words are modern bastardizations of the words "sire" and "my dam". Sire refers to the male half of your parentage thus referring to a married and/or older male. Your dam is the female half of your parentage( "my dam" becomes "madam" which becomes "ma'am") thus referring to an older and/or married woman. So seeing as none of the female playable characters are married at the start, and throughout, the game and through dialogue it is assumed you are young, you do not qualify for "ma'am".

Another point is that in this game you should consider yourself a soldier in a massive galactic war. In that instance the word "sir" is a GENDER NEUTRAL word showing respect for someone who is superior in rank/status than you are. For years women have been fighting for equal treatment in every facet of life and the military is the specific case of this game. Since we don't refer to superiors by their names in the military we use honorifics. The gender neutral honorific in the military is sir. If you don't like that then i suggest you talk to your local theoretical physicist and get them working on time travel, that or get over it because its a part of life.

The word Lord is a title given to nobility and the sith, who are considered to be the highest class of nobility in the Empire. There is no reference in the title to your gender. What i find most funny is that i have yet to see anyone complain about the Jedi equivalent title of master. In all of the movies, books, and even cartoon series i have yet to see a Jedi Mistress so why would there be a Sith Lady. The leader of the Jedi is the grand master not the grand mistress. You people need to recognize the fact that all of these words are designed to be gender neutral not gender specific and get over it. They aren't calling you sir or lord and intending it to mean you are male. They are calling u sir or lord and intending it to simply be a gender neutral honorific so stop reading more into it and play your game. The originally male oriented words becoming the gender neutral oriented words is a by product of the lingual history of our world, seeing as the bulk of the world was male dominated for millenia. If you don't like that don't fuss at the devs, go talk to your local theoretical physicist and get them going on that whole time travel thing so you can change the history of the world, that or get over it and play your game.

Referring to a woman as Lord or Sir is completely keeping with SW Lore.

You point me to an official article where it says that the terms "Ma'am" or "My lady" have died out in Star Wars, especially since in a very select few instances female characters do get addressed with those terms. (Like player female Smugglers or Troopers getting called Ma'am by a soldier in the very opening area of Ord Mantell, or Darth Zhorrid being called "My Lady" by her unfortunate bodyguard (at her own insistance, no less)

So clearly it still gets used, so you'll have to excuse me for not buying this nonsense about it being honourable, what is so honourable about denying a woman her feminity? You could argue it's a path to gender equality but it's not exactly the right one in my opinion.

Didn't read all the replies, but I'll say this anyway in case it hasn't been brought up already.

"Sir" is used in quite a few of the world's militaries for both male and female officers. The US Military is one of the few exceptions that refers to female officers as "ma'am".

Now, in Star Wars lore, it's much the same. The most notable exceptions are the "Lord" and "Master" titles for Sith and Jedi respectively. If we were to keep with American tradition, they would be "Lady" and "Mistress" for females. Mistress, to me, would be a lady who wears tight black leather and uses a whip, though. xD lol

\signed, bounty hunters shouldn't be called siths(they aren't) and Imperial agents\bounty hunters shouldn't be called lord either, they should be refered to what they are. Also gender neturality is annoying so women should be refered to as women = miss, not sir.

As for a female sith being called lord, I don't know enough about the lore to really comment on that.